Perkins woes

38mess

Visit site
Yes, it detects exhaust gases in the header tank.

I would be extremely pissed if someone tipped anything into one of my engines.
I was .. just started it and it sounded ok took it for a spin and once it reached temperature it started it's hunting, then coolant squirted out of the filler cap ..so I guess it's HG.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
I was .. just started it and it sounded ok took it for a spin and once it reached temperature it started it's hunting, then coolant squirted out of the filler cap ..so I guess it's HG.
Sounds very much like the head gasket. As it's already had crap tipped in there you may as well take the head off. Give everything a good clean and get rid of all of that gunge.

billskip

Visit site
.yes it could be pressurising the indirect side which would surely overpressure the system and the cap would release.

then coolant squirted out of the filler cap ..so I guess it's HG.
Certainly looks like it, it doesn't do any harm to kick all the theories about for a while and try to find a more positive indication. However that said...

billskip

Visit site
As soon as it cools down I'm on it. Thanks everyone for all your advice
Try if you can to separate the head, gasket and block slow and carful, so maybe you can positively identify the fault area....(I have my fingers crossed 🤞 for you that it's not a cracked head.)....

38mess

Visit site
Try if you can to separate the head, gasket and block slow and carful, so maybe you can positively identify the fault area....(I have my fingers crossed 🤞 for you that it's not a cracked head.)....
Hopefully not. Like hens teeth heads for this engine. But knowing my luck...

rogerthebodger

Visit site
A way to identify if and where you have a leak from the cylinder is to remove the injectors and pressurize the cylinder with compressed air and to Listen for escaping air from inlet /exhaust manifold, the crank case and/or water cooling.

tillergirl

Visit site
The Perkins M30 is the identical en gine to the Volvo 2030 which I owned for over 20 years. On occasions I have heard a change of engine note and on each time I noted steam at the exhaust although water was stil coming of the exhaust. Also I found the engine was getting hotter. On every occasion save two the cause was partial blockage at the filter. The water pump does have a quite significant suction power at the skin fitting. On every occasion it was weed except once when it was a jelly fish. The two occasions when I didn't find a partial blockage I left off the engine for a while to let the engine cool. When both times when I restarted the engine was fine, no steam, no increased temperature. I concluded I had a partial blockage at the skin fitting and when I stopped the engine, the motion of the boat washed thr weed away from the entrance.

Worth checking.

38mess

Visit site
The Perkins M30 is the identical en gine to the Volvo 2030 which I owned for over 20 years. On occasions I have heard a change of engine note and on each time I noted steam at the exhaust although water was stil coming of the exhaust. Also I found the engine was getting hotter. On every occasion save two the cause was partial blockage at the filter. The water pump does have a quite significant suction power at the skin fitting. On every occasion it was weed except once when it was a jelly fish. The two occasions when I didn't find a partial blockage I left off the engine for a while to let the engine cool. When both times when I restarted the engine was fine, no steam, no increased temperature. I concluded I had a partial blockage at the skin fitting and when I stopped the engine, the motion of the boat washed thr weed away from the entrance.

Worth checking.
Thanks for the reply.
Yes plenty of water coming through the strainer. Did you have any of the pulsating of the rubber end caps?

billskip

Visit site

Worth checking.
Agreed...it needs checking all possibilities before attacking it with spanner.....it is a problem that HG is the first solution...I have my doubts but then I'm happy if I'm wrong.

38mess

Visit site
Agreed...it needs checking all possibilities before attacking it with spanner.....it is a problem that HG is the first solution...I have my doubts but then I'm happy if I'm wrong.
Agreed. I have taken a step back from tackling the engine myself. I have a diesel engineer taking a look tomorrow. I've decided I'm too old to be crawling around especially when I haven't a clue what I'm doing.

tillergirl

Visit site
I didn't notice any pulsating. I don't think I every looked at that. The first time I had 'the steam', I lifted my companion way top, noticed the heat, noise and then saw that the pipe from the strainer to the pump had 'it's cheeks sucked in' if you follow me. I.e. the pump was sucking and water wasn't getting through like it should. Yes, I learnt I needed more robust pipe! The one thing that I couldn't explain water from the exhaust looked fine but obviously it wasn't. My strainer wasn't one of those ('orrid) plastic strainers - old fashioned bronze and of course I couldn't see the flow at the strainer. I presume you can rod down to the skin fitting?

Never Grumble

Visit site
Agreed. I have taken a step back from tackling the engine myself. I have a diesel engineer taking a look tomorrow. I've decided I'm too old to be crawling around especially when I haven't a clue what I'm doing.
I did a top end refurb of 2030 last year. There is a PBO two part article which should assist. It wasn't that difficult ... at least it cant be if I did it!

38mess

Visit site
Update.
Changed the head gasket today, it looked ok, I was expecting to see a problem with it.
put the engine back together this afternoon.
Did the tappets which were fine, I was surprised how easy it was to turn the engine over slowly with a long torque wrench. I was expecting more resistance. Refurbished injectors but no time to bleed and start it today. So hopefully tomorrow will see if it's cured.
Thanks for all the advice.

38mess

Visit site
Apologies for rubbing salt in your wound, but see post #14

Did you check the exhaust elbow, as mentioned above ?

Might also be worth stripping the heat exchanger.
Hi Paul, no problems, I have lots of salt in there already😁, yes I did. The heat exchanger is coming off when it cools down, I have a spare one which the guys at the marina are going to pressure test? also I'm going to change the thermostat. The exhaust elbow is clear it's only a year old. If all this fails I have a proper boat diesel guy on standby for next week when the weather is crap.