Volvo TAMD 73/74 and 75 ECU - Cause for concern?

Portofino

Visit site
Apart from these ECUs and a gasket, are you aware of any other issues with VP not supplying parts for old engines?
Bloke with Phantom 50 near me was incapacitated for 6 weeks inc the whole of August this year awaiting some fuel injector black box electrotwackery with his D12 s .
Returned under one engine on day .
Guardian ( who looks after my boat a Jack of all trades ) attended first , no luck would not start just turn over + smoke badly.
Had the local none franchised “ white van man “ came second , He got it running but it ran dog rough and seriously smoked , this guy unable to fix .
Sounded to me as if was running on 5 .
Then the official VP guys a few days later between week ends they returned 5 weeks later and fixed it .
Owner told me they were waiting for the parts . They came down from Turin every WE to on it etc but couldn’t go out .
Poor guy was on his phone a lot pacing the jetty, a face of concentration looking down as they do with mobs glued to ear .
You could tell by the body language the conversations were not going well .
He would them walk past our boat and shrug his shoulders and hold up his hands in despair as the weeks went by when I asked him “ is it fixed yet “

What ever it , or they were , it was small carried in one hand .Was there the day they ( two blokes ) fitted it .
New straight away it was now right as you could hear the difference when they got it on , what ever it was .

Fairly new immaculate boat btw so suspect it’s CR fwiw ?

His neighbour has a Ferretti 500 with MAN s .They looked like inline 6 s like mine peering into the ER hatch .Circa 2005 ish maybe younger ? Another week ended boater from N Italy .

Came back one Sun Pm after trip out and engine room hatch opened blokes diving in.A water leak of some sort I gather
Off they disappeared back home .Mid week MAN engineers turn up take a peek , run the engines ( sounded ok ) .Return Fri Am with what looked like an elbow , bit of pipage and a bag of o rings / gaskets .

Curiosity got the better of me and I walked over and peered into the cockpit only to see the old parts , empty new packaging and lower 1/2 of the engineers bodies through the open hatch.

2 hrs later I hear them fire up test etc .
Off the boat by 2 pm .7 pm family arrive for an uneventful weekend .
What ever it was it was sorted between week ends and did not interrupt any boating .
They took the Phantom 50 couple out with them Btw .
Phantom 50 guy fortunately had a seadoo so took that out instead….a lot :) The boat was new to him this summer .
Previously they had a large sail boat Hanse 445 or something, but made a step into the mobo world .

No body minds a breakdown , you just need it fixed ASAP in the season and part of that solution involves the legacy supply chain .
Wethers there’s a spanner man in the marina that day to come and have look or 2/3 days away does not matter if there is a parts availability problem .

PowerYachtBlog

www.poweryachtblog.com
Apart from these ECUs and a gasket, are you aware of any other issues with VP not supplying parts for old engines?
Gasket has been stopped since 2012. There was a post about it here. Volvo is supplying sealer which is a pain to make if someone is not used to it.

I am surprised no one made a replacement gasket, fairly easy to make, and quite a good market for it.

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
Gasket has been stopped since 2012.
It beggars belief and is a reflection on the values of VP, that if they can’t make a profit on sourcing and storing an individual part (the gasket) then they drop it. There is a need to stand back and strategically look at the profitability of supplying a complete service.

Last edited:

Portofino

Visit site
Flick around this site by way if example .
Some of these modals we are talking by now only three figure numbers around WW, a few double digit .Not thousands .

Superformance: Ferrari Parts for 246, 308, 348, 355, 360 and all of the Ferrari range

And this Ferrari parts for your vintage and italian sports cars.

Just two sites .So I do not get the low number economic arguments to cease support .
VP numbers blow the sum of these cars into the weeds .

” Sorry have to cancel the Milia Migalia retro run because of unavailability of a widget “

You just never hear it in the classic car scene .

Last edited:

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
It beggars belief and is a reflection on the values of VP, that if they can’t make a profit on sourcing and storing an individual part (the gasket) then they drop it. There is a need to stand back and strategically look at the profitability of supplying a complete service.
I suspect it was because gasket sealant is perfectly fit for purpose. VolvoPaul and Spannerman don't have an issue with it. Perhaps it's because they know what they're doing (and are able to follow simple instructions) whereas others don't?

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
I suspect it was because gasket sealant is perfectly fit for purpose. VolvoPaul and Spannerman don't have an issue with it. Perhaps it's because they know what they're doing (and are able to follow simple instructions) whereas others don't?
I think as long as you follow volvopaul and spannerman’s detailed instructions and not the simple instructions that others on here have done and failed, you’ll be ok. Not a great substitution for a tried and tested specified product.

oldgit

Visit site
A troublesome boat , the boat just dies and shuts down mid journey, once between Majorca and Ibiza..
Sometimes virtually immediately sometimes it waits a while.
Want to get home ? , shut everything down and turn back on, this deletes the fault codes ? , limp back home again on one engine.
Start with the obvious.
Change filters etc and ensure all fuel lines are clean.
Still shutting down.
Change lift pumps
Still shutting down.
Cut inspection hatches in fuel tanks and steam clean.
check /clean relays
try hard wiring multi pin connectors.
still shutting down .
Rumours the ECU might be the problem ask local VP expert to take look.
try to find secondhand or recon unit anywhere in europe
try to buy new unit :) HOW MUCH...... and anyway no stock mate.
take unit back to UK for fixing/replacement/ reprogramming anything really to get a 200K boat running.
Finally give up and boat on market, seems OK on survey run out.
Info later that boat is still playing up .

Went to see a boat with a pair of very popular VP engines installed.
To suggest how well the boat had been looked after the broker offered reams of foolscap on lots of little jobs carried out very recently.
filters of course
new lift pumps
tank cut open and cleaned
fuel polished
relays cleaned
looms replaced

Felt sure the present owner would tell any prospective new owner about any possible ECU problem. ? Clang Clang went a warning bell

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
To suggest how well the boat had been looked after the broker offered reams of foolscap on lots of little jobs carried out very recently.
filters of course
new lift pumps
fuel polished
relays cleaned
looms replaced

Felt sure the present owner would tell any prospective new owner about any possible ECU problem. ? Clang Clang went a warning bell
Is that the one we talked about that has 72Ps?

Portofino

Visit site
A troublesome boat , the boat just dies and shuts down mid journey, once between Majorca and Ibiza..
Want to get home ? , shut everything down and turn back on, this deletes the fault codes ? , limp back home again on one engine.
Start with the obvious.
Still shutting down.
Change lift pumps
Still shutting down.
check /clean relays
still shutting down .
take unit back to UK for fixing/replacement/ reprogramming anything really to get a 200K boat running.

filters of course
new lift pumps
fuel polished
relays cleaned
looms replaced

That’s the problem you want to see a file of gen service items sprinkled in with the odd timely rebuild .Say a water pump , shaft seal , or coolers .

Stuff like you list with no mention of good reason why then alarm bells ring .Any rebuild , head removal , valve work , elbow work early you need to know why in a low hrs leisure boat .

Chasing intermittent shadows , you don’t want to inherit that .

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
That was speculation, not the official VP position. As VolvoPaul says, we don't actually know the current position. For all we know, the ECU's are now back in stock.

Whatever engines you run, there is the risk of components becoming obsolete.

In fact, even propellers can have a 2-3 month lead time which is enough to ruin anyone's season.
Things are even worse , no MDI units available for the D1 compact engines.
live waited 3 months for a piston and liner kit for a 41B engine, the next day service happens when it feels like it …….. shall I go on .

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
When doing this job it’s how you prepare the head face and valve cover , I’ve never had one leak yet from using a standard sealant from a motor factors, it’s how you do the job that counts .

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Start with the obvious.
Still shutting down.
Change lift pumps
Still shutting down.
check /clean relays
still shutting down .

filters of course
new lift pumps
fuel polished
relays cleaned
looms replaced

75P ???? Wiring loom mod failed on crimped joints , this was a recall to stop it jumping into gear , cut off mod and start again.

Also faulty SPM unit can give this , I’ve actually been taking them out now due to faulty units, oh and BTW no SPM units available either.