Supporting Your Cruising Lifestyle

geem

Visit site
We have a few properties that provide us a cruising income. Been doing this since 2014. I do the odd bit of consultancy work just to keep my hand in but mainly we just live off property rentals and some investments. Thr pot doesn't go down so works out nicely

Kelpie

Visit site
Built a small house, then rented out both it and our own place as holiday lets.
I do feel a bit guilty about it given the dire state of housing in my part of the world. But I console myself by remembering that the wee house wouldn't even exist, and the other one wouldn't be available to someone else, if we hadn't settled on this plan.

The overheads are getting a bit silly, especially with higher electricity bills, so we're much closer to break-even than we expected. I would love to be able to pick up some extra work as we cruise but not sure where to start.

I thought about offering hull cleaning (I've got a hookah and a high tolerance for repetitive, messy work) but apparently the locals won't like it.

Have climbed many people's masts, but never asked for anything, occasionally get given a bottle of wine.

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
I do feel a bit guilty about it given the dire state of housing in my part of the world. But I console myself by remembering that the wee house wouldn't even exist, and the other one wouldn't be available to someone else, if we hadn't settled on this plan.

The overheads are getting a bit silly, especially with higher electricity bills, so we're much closer to break-even than we expected. I would love to be able to pick up some extra work as we cruise but not sure where to start.

I thought about offering hull cleaning (I've got a hookah and a high tolerance for repetitive, messy work) but apparently the locals won't like it.

Have climbed many people's masts, but never asked for anything, occasionally get given a bottle of wine.

You've never been offered powdered egg?

Asking for a friend . . .

- W

laika

Visit site
what's the point of being anchored in paradise when you have to sit in front of a computer from morning till evening?
Because your lunchtime trip to the gym consists of jumping over the side and when you knock off for the day you’re anchored in paradise rather than running to catch a packed train from London Bridge?

Ningaloo

Northern summers on Primal otherwise Perth WA
yacht-primal.com
I worked remotely for years and could have worked from the boat but what's the point of being anchored in paradise when you have to sit in front of a computer from morning till evening?
See my later post. I started working remotely in 2004 long before smart phones guaranteed internet.
I never worked standard hours. I used to do a few hours early morning while my partner shopped in the markets then sailed. If weather wasn't suitable this gave opportunities to work. Hardly the same as regular hours in an office.
After 10 years I was hardly working at all during the sailing season.
So I've been a summer liveaboard in EU for 20 years. Brexit challenges means I'll probably head for Caribbean next year. I no longer wish to live in or be associated with UK,

AndersG

Visit site
Because your lunchtime trip to the gym consists of jumping over the side and when you knock off for the day you’re anchored in paradise rather than running to catch a packed train from London Bridge?
Fortunately I've never worked in London and have never commuted by train. The last few years before my retirement my "commute" was a few meters to get my laptop to the kitchen table for the early morning meeting while I was still having breakfast. No video on that meeting and I was usually in a dressing gown!

steve yates

Visit site

Kelpie, are you referring to the overheads of the rentals or living aboard?

Poignard

Visit site
I once berthed next to a small, very scruffy, yacht in Vannes whose live-aboard owner told me he earned his living by busking: playing the guitar and singing.

A nice chap and quite a character but if the size and state of his boat were any indication of his prowess as a busker, he wasn't very good at it.

:)

Last edited:

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
I once berthed next to a small, very scruffy, yacht in Vannes whose live-aboard owner told me he earned his living by busking: playing the guitar and singing.

A nice chap and quite a character but if the size and state of his boat were any indication of his prowess as a busker, he wan't vey good at it.

:)
a) was he happy and b) how many hours a week did he 'work'?

- W

Poignard

Visit site
a) was he happy and b) how many hours a week did he 'work'?

- W
He seemed very happy.

I don't know how many hours he 'worked' but during our few days there, he wandered off each morning and returned in the evening. Perhaps he played long enough to earn the price of a few drinks and something to eat, then knocked off. Which seems a nice way to pass the time.

Kelpie

Visit site
Kelpie, are you referring to the overheads of the rentals or living aboard?
The overheads for the rentals.
Living aboard is cheap- the last time we spent a night in a marina was 2nd January.
Keeping the boat in reasonable order can cost a bit, but some of that spending is optional.

roblpm

Visit site
I've been living aboard and cruising (with a Covid enforced stop in Chi Harbour for 2 years ) for over a decade

I have Starlink aboard for full time connectivity at high speed. I have a business that I moved from doing in house to out of house and just have to administer for 20-30 minutes a day online. I have investments from savings (savings, which go up very quickly when living aboard - no water or electric bills, low diesel costs because we have sails and use them) and my wife is an author so can write and email in books from anywhere. Frankly any job that moved to work from home could be done with Starlink - we lose connectivity for an average of 2 minutes a day, have 150 mbps speeds (just watching Blondie live at Glastonbury on IPlayer while at anchor and writing this ) and its £85 a month. If we stop at a marina for winter , we can suspend the Starlink ad go to cheaper 4/5G .

I can draw my pension in 3 years time but have been doing this full time for 11 years without any problems
Do you live aboard and cruise in the UK or abroad??

Trident

Visit site
Do you live aboard and cruise in the UK or abroad??
Both, we did 5 years in the Med and then around UK and near EU coasts and now planning a winter crossing to the Caribbean and onwards. The nice thing with the Starlink combined with our work means that it makes not the slightest difference where we are in the world other than perhaps a slight lag on emails when over the pond but not enough that they won't be same business day...

BobnLesley

Aground in Yorkshire awaiting a very high tide
Visit site
...climbed many people's masts, but never asked for anything, occasionally get given a bottle of wine.
I often did masthead tasks for people and used mast height/weather conditions to adjudge whether theirs was a one beer or two beer mast. The only time I actually 'charged' anyone was a chap in Turkey who was a not very good electrical/electronics engineer and who regularly offered to have a look at people's boats and only afterwards mentioned his €40/hr charge; I billed him €60 and then spent it all buying beer for people I knew he'd charged for electronics work.

Lightwave395

Visit site
If my wife and I were to rent out our London house we would have more than enough to fund a very comfortable full-time cruising life. (Well, as comfortable as one can be in a 28' Twister!)

Trouble is, she is not amenable to the idea. She's more interested in golf, book groups, play-readings, theatre-going, lunching with other ladies, etc. :(
And in my case Grandchildren... I'd be tempted perhaps more to get away from them sometimes !