Sulu Sea, Phillipines

WannabePirate

Visit site
Hi all,

Better opportunities came around and Ive been cruising across Asia on a 22m owners catamaran as first mate, been unable to find a suitable captain for our needs yet though so I'm taking on a bit more than is ideal for someone with my experience.

Trying to plan well ahead and I'm currently looking at the leg North from Sutera Marina, Malaysia, up past Puerto Princesa, Philippines.

Getting lots of competing advice regarding pirate activities and fishing nets. Really struggling to find any information on much at all. On one hand ESSCOM gave lots of advice about travelling in the day close to shore and anchoring near habited areas at night..local boating government officials are telling me not to worry at all about pirates but a similar tactic may be prudent for the nets. Local delivery skipprs are telling me to stick far offshore, maybe even to the west of Puerto princess, and bust north skipping it entirely. Trip time may be July though and I still need to research the SW monsoon typhoons properly.

Found most useful information for what I've been doing so far in cruising guides for local cruising rallies. Wondered if in addition to the things above, the great wisdom of YBW may know of any similar resources for the Phillipines?

Cheers