Supporting Your Cruising Lifestyle

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I guess a good percentage rent their homes out ,
you be surprised how many cruisers there are under pension age but many sabe and do it for a couple of years then return back to work , or even take a few months off and fly home to work for a bit .

Poignard

Visit site
you be surprised how many cruisers there are under pension age but many sabe and do it for a couple of years then return back to work , or even take a few months off and fly home to work for a bit .
If my wife and I were to rent out our London house we would have more than enough to fund a very comfortable full-time cruising life. (Well, as comfortable as one can be in a 28' Twister!)

Trouble is, she is not amenable to the idea. She's more interested in golf, book groups, play-readings, theatre-going, lunching with other ladies, etc. :(

sailaboutvic

Visit site
If my wife and I were to rent out our London house we would have more than enough to fund a very comfortable full-time cruising life. (Well, as comfortable as one can be in a 28' Twister!)

Trouble is, she is not amenable to the idea. She's more interested in golf, book groups, play-readings, theatre-going, lunching with other ladies, etc. :(
This can be a problem , quite a lot of women like their home comfort.
Some thing to be awhere off anyone thinking about renting there home , come the day to sell it you have a capital gain tax to pay.

Minerva

Visit site
This can be a problem , quite a lot of women like their home comfort.
Some thing to be awhere off anyone thinking about renting there home , come the day to sell it you have a capital gain tax to pay.
I was of the understanding that CG tax is only on secondary homes therefore if you move back ‘home’ and stop letting it for a period before sale , then no CG tax will be liable.

capnsensible

Visit site
Anyone working remotely? How's that working out with needing a reliable or constant Internet connection?
We've met a lot of people working from aboard. Marina wifi is often pants but it's cheap enough to get a local sim card these days. As per covid, there are stacks of people just doing the same working from home thin.

Yacht repairs, nah, forget it. Word gets round and locals will dob you in....sewing repairs probably an exception!

A friend of ours tried drug smuggling. Went OK until he got caught. At least he got free meals and Spanish lessons for a few years and his sons had to pay his mooring fees. I'm not sure he saw the positives, though.

capnsensible

Visit site
We bought a house in a warm place for holiday letting. Did well.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Financed new purchase from savings & running costs from income. But made sure I had suitable buffers in place first. Now it is from pension,----- with top up from wife when things went t..ts up with engine last month :love:

lektran

Visit site
We sold our house in NZ and came to the UK to buy a boat, spent less than 15% of the proceeds on the boat and invested the rest. I'm working in IT remotely three days a week which more than covers our liveaboard costs, we aren't big spenders. We have an annual berth in the solent this year and 5G wifi works well most places, we'll head further afield next spring once we're done refitting. In theory I could stop working and maybe we'd survive on drawing from the investments but three days a week really isn't that much of a strain on our cruising life and we're much more financially secure.

Stingo

Visit site
We sold our house in NZ and came to the UK to buy a boat, spent less than 15% of the proceeds on the boat and invested the rest. I'm working in IT remotely three days a week which more than covers our liveaboard costs, we aren't big spenders. We have an annual berth in the solent this year and 5G wifi works well most places, we'll head further afield next spring once we're done refitting. In theory I could stop working and maybe we'd survive on drawing from the investments but three days a week really isn't that much of a strain on our cruising life and we're much more financially secure.
Thanks for that, it's good info. PM sent with more questions,

Trident

Visit site
I've been living aboard and cruising (with a Covid enforced stop in Chi Harbour for 2 years ) for over a decade

I have Starlink aboard for full time connectivity at high speed. I have a business that I moved from doing in house to out of house and just have to administer for 20-30 minutes a day online. I have investments from savings (savings, which go up very quickly when living aboard - no water or electric bills, low diesel costs because we have sails and use them) and my wife is an author so can write and email in books from anywhere. Frankly any job that moved to work from home could be done with Starlink - we lose connectivity for an average of 2 minutes a day, have 150 mbps speeds (just watching Blondie live at Glastonbury on IPlayer while at anchor and writing this ) and its £85 a month. If we stop at a marina for winter , we can suspend the Starlink ad go to cheaper 4/5G .

I can draw my pension in 3 years time but have been doing this full time for 11 years without any problems