RTI this Saturday

bedouin

Visit site
Seems like a very under-stated account of what looks like a very difficult situation - two MOB, a broken leg and inflated lifejackets.

I'd like to know what sort of triggers the LJs had - I know a number of people have recommended manual LJs in such conditions because of the dangers of premature inflation.

jlavery

Visit site

jlavery

Visit site
Seems like a very under-stated account of what looks like a very difficult situation - two MOB, a broken leg and inflated lifejackets.

I'd like to know what sort of triggers the LJs had - I know a number of people have recommended manual LJs in such conditions because of the dangers of premature inflation.
For wet racing foredeck work, pressure rather than water triggers are suggested. Although mine are all water, and I've been "dooped" many times on the foredeck without activation.

Gixer

Visit site
I’m very happy to be wrong, but I don’t understand what is holding the head of the headsail so far forward of the mast if the main is fully hoisted.
I'm pretty sure that's the rolling shutter on the camera that caused this. Seen similar anomalies before.

bedouin

Visit site
For wet racing foredeck work, pressure rather than water triggers are suggested. Although mine are all water, and I've been "dooped" many times on the foredeck without activation.
All mine are Hammar / pressure types - I thought they were pretty much ubiquitous these days.

flaming

Visit site

capnsensible

Visit site
On a day like this

The_Needles,_IW,_UK.jpg

It's possible to sail through that gap on a Prout catamaran with a still rather drunk Australian owner. Threading the Needles. Once done, never forgotten. :)

Neeves

Visit site
The PBO article is chilling (good report), an obviously good crew, good skipper - but it took 3 attempts to get the MOB on board. A husband and wife team are not comparable. Following yachts may have the best intentions but not the skills, huge opportunity for skull damage

There seemed to be too many people in the water, it seems an example offering the benefit of tethers, 2 per crew member, allowing one to move around the cockpit tethered and then tidying up after the move. There seems little point in having jackstays 'roughly under' the life lines, installed from the transom to forward and 'U' bolt hard points, all accessible from the cockpit - if they are not used because they are inconvenient. They need to be installed so they are convenient.

Jonathan

Neeves

Visit site
On a day like this

View attachment 178713

It's possible to sail through that gap on a Prout catamaran with a still rather drunk Australian owner. Threading the Needles. Once done, never forgotten. :)
I've never sailed there, where is the wreck that is referred to, I assume further offshore and beyond the light house? The Prout referred to sailed between the gap inshore of the 2 outer Needles? What depth is depth?

capnsensible

Visit site
I've never sailed there, where is the wreck that is referred to, I assume further offshore and beyond the light house? The Prout referred to sailed between the gap inshore of the 2 outer Needles? What depth is depth?
Plenty of depth for a Prout at high water!

Martin_J

Visit site
Although this next photo shows that on a lighter wind RTIR, it gets rather crowded around the Needles and the remains of the Varvassi are the three right hand circles below (which although visible from a drone, they're not at all clear from sea level)..

Varvassi from above.jpeg

Last edited:

capnsensible

Visit site
Can't do that on race day, the lighthouse is a mark of the course.
Yeah, done the race a rew times. Never without incident. Saw a boat flatted on the start line by the old hydrofoil. Was on that same Prout one year when the wind was so light the finish got shortened to Bembridge Ledge. Got hooked up on a lobster pot one year off Ryde Sands.

B7t I did get a 9th in class once on a rather tatty sailing school yacht. The two ladies in the crew turned up at the marina up the Hamble ....wearing high heeled shoes.