RTI this Saturday

jlavery

Visit site
And anything else??????
Complete and utter thread drift alert.

When we lived in New Zealand, we watched a stunning looking girl walk down the gangplank in a tight red dress and heels. Proceeded to am equally stunning (if you get what I mean) wooden yacht. The young skipper shouted "Heels!!" as she was about to get on.

Dora and Toby ended up becoming our good friends.

Dora's job? Joiner and carpenter on building sites. Never judge by first appearances. 😀

doris

Visit site
Bloody hell. Confirms one thing I've always said though. You rarely "just" have an MOB. You usually have other issues at the same time.

Superb seamanship demonstrated, clear decision making under extreme pressure.
Pan pan or Mayday ??
When giving a safety briefing before going out I will always tell crew that a MOB is an immediate mayday unless conditions are very seriously benign. Even then, if in doubt get straight on ch16 with a mayday. It can always be cancelled.
While in no way criticising the terrific seamanship shown in this very nasty situation, I wouldn’t have waited for a failed first rescue for call out and it would have been a mayday. Especially with an injured skipper, a totally soaked crew member on board, to say nothing of the mature person struggling in the water.
Comments chaps ……????

Boathook

Visit site
Pan pan or Mayday ??
When giving a safety briefing before going out I will always tell crew that a MOB is an immediate mayday unless conditions are very seriously benign. Even then, if in doubt get straight on ch16 with a mayday. It can always be cancelled.
While in no way criticising the terrific seamanship shown in this very nasty situation, I wouldn’t have waited for a failed first rescue for call out and it would have been a mayday. Especially with an injured skipper, a totally soaked crew member on board, to say nothing of the mature person struggling in the water.
Comments chaps ……????
Difficult to comment as I wasn't there.

May be with hindsight the skipper and crew might think differently and maybe next time, if it happens, do it differently.

Temujin

Visit site
Difficult to comment as I wasn't there.

May be with hindsight the skipper and crew might think differently and maybe next time, if it happens, do it differently.
Listened to the call on the VHF as we were heading back to the Hamble. I guess the CG could always have upgraded to Mayday if needed as they were fully aware of conditions? To me they sounded very calm and collected and also recovered the mob in what seemed very little time. Thought also the mayday comms shortly before for the collision was very calm considering the guy said he was standing in water at the time.

capnsensible

Visit site
A while back I knew an SAR pilot from the Solent Recue team.....he kept his yacht in a small boat marina I managed. He recommended to always, always use Mayday for a Man Overboard incident. The crew don't much like getting called late and subsequently pulling out dead people. His words.

I have always remembered and respected that.

Boathook

Visit site
A while back I knew an SAR pilot from the Solent Recue team.....he kept his yacht in a small boat marina I managed. He recommended to always, always use Mayday for a Man Overboard incident. The crew don't much like getting called late and subsequently pulling out dead people. His words.

I have always remembered and respected that.
I was chatting to an RNLI crew member a few weeks back who said if in doubt call them out. The temptation though is that you as the skipper and crew can sort it out without outside assistance .....

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
I was chatting to an RNLI crew member a few weeks back who said if in doubt call them out. The temptation though is that you as the skipper and crew can sort it out without outside assistance .....
Self reliance isa deeply embedded part of the sailors psyche. We should remember that generally you can’t have too much help with a MOB situation, and that the pros actually love to be called, it’s what they do it for.

Neeves

Visit site
Complete and utter thread drift alert.

When we lived in New Zealand, we watched a stunning looking girl walk down the gangplank in a tight red dress and heels. Proceeded to am equally stunning (if you get what I mean) wooden yacht. The young skipper shouted "Heels!!" as she was about to get on.

Dora and Toby ended up becoming our good friends.

Dora's job? Joiner and carpenter on building sites. Never judge by first appearances. 😀
I was coming back from our cat one summer afternoon. The dinghy rack where we stored the dinghy was sandwiched between the perimeter fence of part of the Oz Navy dive school and a public wharf. There was a little beach between wharf and fence. I was aiming for the beach.

As I approached the pier two young ladies, 20ish, walked down the pier - looked over the edge at the water, backed off. They then proceeded to strip naked and dived gracefully into the water, climbed steps and repeated the exercise.

I don't know if they were chippies.

It takes all sorts

Jonathan

Neeves

Visit site
My view is that the PBO article should be essential reading for any husband and wife couple looking to long distance cruising (and thanks to the person who posted the link)

“It was like doing a MOB recovery wearing a neck brace” - says Round the Island Race 2024 man overboard skipper - Practical Boat Owner

A fully clued up crew, took 3 attempts to recover the MOB.

Of the conditions we have experienced something similar twice in 40 years, usually we would simply stay at anchor. The second time the forecast was a bracing 30knots, but we, just the 2 of us (38' cat), unwittingly sailed in a small and thus unforecast, storm cell and endured 8hrs at 55 knots. The first time was during a China Sea Race, HK to San Fernando, where the wind built to 55 knots - arguably easier as there were 6 of us, 33' mono.

A couple, wife goes overboard, no tether attached or the attachment fails.

Husband needs to set the MOB alarm, check for ropes in the water, furl the headsail (usually difficult in strong winds), drop the main (how many have the halyard hackle free and neatly coiled), secure boom, keep wife in sight, have a heaving line handy (again neatly coiled), engine on, get back to wife (if he has an accurate ideas of where she is), throw heaving line, approach wife such that she is not a target for the heaving hull nor transom.

And this is in daylight

Personal locators would be essential. A helm located chart plotter would also be essential.

My view remains - if you become an MOB your chances of survival are not large (and if one half of a couple - non existant).

Stay on the boat - and before you leave for 'blue water' think through the location of hard points and jackstays. Tethers must be attached as soon as you step onto the companionway lowest step and stay attached until you return to the saloon. You need at least 2 tethers each.

And nothing can be so urgent as to challenge a 55 knot forecast (which goes for anchoring as well :) ).

Sailing is meant to be a pleasurable pursuit :)

I did think of starting a new thread....on the PBO section of the Forum

Jonathan

Mark-1

Visit site
Pan pan or Mayday ??
Comments chaps ……????

Doesn't matter, they said they had a man overboard so everyone on 16 knew what was going on. There was an AWLB on scene very fast.

They could have ignored all protocol and just said they had a man overboard in the St Cats overfalls and I suspect they'd have got a response just as fast.

Now I think about it I'm sure I've heard at some point that Mayday is (historically?) exclusively for danger to the vessel. If the vessel is safe but a crew member is in danger that is/was a Pan Pan. If my memory is correct maybe the guy on the Radio was from a generation that saw it that way.

michael_w

Visit site
On the tethers, I invariably sail double handed with SWMBO. We use 6 tethers, 2 at the forward end of the cockpit, 2 at the aft, and 2 on jackstays. The jackstays are quite short, if you fell overboard, you would not end up being towed behind the boat, but alongside the cockpit.

We follow RORC's rules; lifejackets and harnesses are used when the wind is over 25kts, at night, when alone on deck, when reefed, and when visibility is below 1 mile. Thus the wearing of safety equipment becomes wholly routine and not a major escalation as it seems to appear to others.

matt1

Visit site
Doesn't matter, they said they had a man overboard so everyone on 16 knew what was going on. There was an AWLB on scene very fast.

They could have ignored all protocol and just said they had a man overboard in the St Cats overfalls and I suspect they'd have got a response just as fast.

Now I think about it I'm sure I've heard at some point that Mayday is (historically?) exclusively for danger to the vessel. If the vessel is safe but a crew member is in danger that is/was a Pan Pan. If my memory is correct maybe the guy on the Radio was from a generation that saw it that way.
Many decades ago when I was taught (so maybe I count as “historic” ;) but my understanding was “grave or imminent danger to life or vessel”

Mark-1

Visit site
And nothing can be so urgent as to challenge a 55 knot forecast (which goes for anchoring as well :) ).

Bear in mind the forecast wasn't 55kts. The 55kts is achieved by taking the highest gust at the most exposed part of the course and then adding 1. :)

I don't doubt there was at least one 54kt gust where it funnels through the Needles Channel but that wasn't typical for the whole course.

It was still blowing a hoolie! 😁

Last edited:

capnsensible

Visit site

This is current.

A mayday call is the international signal to notify life-threatening distress.

A mayday call is only to be used in the case of “grave and imminent danger to a vessel or persons, such as fire, sinking, man overboard etc.” A mayday call is very serious and, in many countries, anyone making a false mayday call could be prosecuted under criminal law.

flaming

Visit site
My view is that the PBO article should be essential reading for any husband and wife couple looking to long distance cruising (and thanks to the person who posted the link)

“It was like doing a MOB recovery wearing a neck brace” - says Round the Island Race 2024 man overboard skipper - Practical Boat Owner

A fully clued up crew, took 3 attempts to recover the MOB.

Of the conditions we have experienced something similar twice in 40 years, usually we would simply stay at anchor. The second time the forecast was a bracing 30knots, but we, just the 2 of us (38' cat), unwittingly sailed in a small and thus unforecast, storm cell and endured 8hrs at 55 knots. The first time was during a China Sea Race, HK to San Fernando, where the wind built to 55 knots - arguably easier as there were 6 of us, 33' mono.

A couple, wife goes overboard, no tether attached or the attachment fails.

Husband needs to set the MOB alarm, check for ropes in the water, furl the headsail (usually difficult in strong winds), drop the main (how many have the halyard hackle free and neatly coiled), secure boom, keep wife in sight, have a heaving line handy (again neatly coiled), engine on, get back to wife (if he has an accurate ideas of where she is), throw heaving line, approach wife such that she is not a target for the heaving hull nor transom.

And this is in daylight

Personal locators would be essential. A helm located chart plotter would also be essential.

My view remains - if you become an MOB your chances of survival are not large (and if one half of a couple - non existant).

Stay on the boat - and before you leave for 'blue water' think through the location of hard points and jackstays. Tethers must be attached as soon as you step onto the companionway lowest step and stay attached until you return to the saloon. You need at least 2 tethers each.

Sailing is meant to be a pleasurable pursuit :)

I did think of starting a new thread....on the PBO section of the Forum

Jonathan
Yes and no I would say.

Sure there are undoubtedly lessons that can be learned from any MOB and applied to your own situation. However, I don't think you should lose sight of the fact that they were hit by an especially bad wave whilst in the overfalls off St cats.

A husband and wife crew engaged in long distance cruising who were in those overfalls in those conditions have made a large number of mistakes well before the point one of them isn't clipped on when the wave hits.

wonkywinch

Visit site
Pan and Mayday are specific "pro words" that put everyone on the same page (inc the many vessels just monitoring the frequency).

There was a pan call in Lyme Bay yesterday. Someone in a sailing vessel with rough running engine and calm winds. "We're only making two knots as there is no wind".

I plotted their position (13 miles east behind me). Lots of nearer vessels around him travelling in same direction.

Solent CG asked their intentions which they said they would try to make Portland. The whole event was really a job for Sea Start or a towing service, not a pan call and my impression was the chap had not really thought through any "what if" situations that day.

I see they are safely moored up in Weymouth so a good outcome. And some entertainment to pass a rather dull passage in the absence of dolphins yesterday.

Mark-1

Visit site
hit by an especially bad wave whilst in the overfalls off St cats.

Do we know what time it was? If that was the last wind against tide it would have been less iffy for boats behind coming through with fair tide.

Last edited: