RTI this Saturday

flaming

Visit site

We feature in this video, as the boat with the brown/grey sails. Initially on port, then ahead of the tri after they've passed the Needles.

We also rounded Bembridge with the same tri, which did surprise me, I wasn't expecting a 32 foot mono to be the same speed as a 40 foot tri downwind in 25-35....

Chiara’s slave

Visit site

We feature in this video, as the boat with the brown/grey sails. Initially on port, then ahead of the tri after they've passed the Needles.

We also rounded Bembridge with the same tri, which did surprise me, I wasn't expecting a 32 foot mono to be the same speed as a 40 foot tri downwind in 25-35....
I don’t wish to disparage the owners, but they are newbies to multis, hats off to them for giving it a go in those conditions. I was watching their track compared to yours. If they’d sailed the same distance, they’d have beaten you by several hours, but they couldn’t seem to point up while beating or head off on the runs, a common newbie issue. They were tacking through about 120 degrees both ways.

flaming

Visit site
I don’t wish to disparage the owners, but they are newbies to multis, hats off to them for giving it a go in those conditions. I was watching their track compared to yours. If they’d sailed the same distance, they’d have beaten you by several hours, but they couldn’t seem to point up while beating or head off on the runs, a common newbie issue. They were tacking through about 120 degrees both ways.
Screenshot 2024-07-03 134515.jpg

Upwind for sure. Downwind doesn't look too bad.... And it was Needles to Bembridge that took essentially the same time.

Our track is definitely smoothed a bit btw, think that's the difference between AIS and app tracking.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Looking at the vid, he's over sheeted on the main, possibly the jib too, that is massively restricting on speed. On a Dragonfly, heading up from downwind, you can really feel the surge of acceleration when the airflow goes laminar. Over sheeting means sailing stalled or heading too high.