RTI this Saturday

ithet

Visit site
How much extra does your insurance cost for racing? That is one big cost factor which previously stopped me considering doing a one off race (not round that island).

The insurances I have had have covered racing as standard except for sails and rigging risks. Previous quotes to add this was something like 5% of hull value (or maybe rigging costs) or £25 for an individual race.

Skysail

Visit site
There's a reef in that main.

I expect the pic was taken with a long lens which hugely forshortens the distances.
We went inside the wreck in much calmer conditions, there was actually a small buoy marking the passage. No matter the focal length, it gives a good indication of how close the lighthouse is.

No way in those conditions! That guy earned his 5th place.

jlavery

Visit site
We went inside the wreck in much calmer conditions, there was actually a small buoy marking the passage. No matter the focal length, it gives a good indication of how close the lighthouse is.

No way in those conditions! That guy earned his 5th place.
I've been inside on the RTI on multiple occasions. And also outside when it was too risky. You need to be absolutely sure of your reference points.

I would not have gone inside in the conditions this year.

j80

Visit site
There's a reef in that main.

I expect the pic was taken with a long lens which hugely forshortens the distances.
They were taken on my phone looking at a laptop screen on saturday morning from isle of wight colwell web cam. I sent them to my crew whatsapp group - and was amused to receive the pic from someone outside our group later :) We had entered and I phoned ISC on thursday to retire - before sportsboat was cancelled anyway - as it was last time i could get boat lifted in/organise airbnb etc. I sent the pics to reassure my crew it was probably a bit spicy for our debut race on an Open 7.50 which we only got last month. Mindful of the Applebys achievements offshore in Scarlet Oyster and as a previous Gold Roman Bowl winner in High Potential - threading the needle in those conditions below was probably no big deal. Well done to all who got round and the great result from the OP!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    900.4 KB · Views: 39
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    991.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 38
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    922.1 KB · Views: 41

bedouin

Visit site
I'm struggling to quantify the risk of that. Perhaps they are the only people that really know.

If you did it 1000 times how many times would you end up in disaster?

Even the other boat looks too close to me.
No risk provided you know the area - there is plenty of room to pass between boilers and rocks provided you know the line

The Contessas have an amazing record RTI - I am pretty sure one has won several times in the last couple of decades.

Mark-1

Visit site
No risk provided you know the area - there is plenty of room to pass between boilers and rocks provided you know the line

I didn't mean risk of going inside the Vavassi full stop, that's a well trodden path, there can't be many Solent sailors who haven't been through. I mean the risk of going inside in the 2024 RTIR, which I don't think was perfectly safe.

Mind you, is it really zero risk? The first year I did the RTIR Longabarda sank there and I'm sure Bob Fishers "Country Cottage" hit it at some time.

Having said all that, I'm less sure HP went inside now. That photo tell us nothing and, now I've looked at a few tracks I've realized all the tracks are pretty poor and many pass right through the needles. Maybe Flaming got it from the horse's mouth, otherwise I put it down to poor tracking.

On the subject of tracking, is anyone else amused at the number of people who drove home with their trackers on? 🤦‍♂️ If Google Street View is to be trusted it's true that not all yotties are rich! 😁

bedouin

Visit site
I didn't mean risk of going inside the Vavassi full stop, that's a well trodden path, there can't be many Solent sailors who haven't been through. I mean the risk of going inside in the 2024 RTIR, which I don't think was perfectly safe.

Mind you, is it really zero risk? The first year I did the RTIR Longabarda sank there and I'm sure Bob Fishers "Country Cottage" hit it at some time.

Having said all that, I'm less sure HP went inside now. That photo tell us nothing and, now I've looked at a few tracks I've realized all the tracks are pretty poor and many pass right through the needles. Maybe Flaming got it from the horse's mouth, otherwise I put it down to poor tracking.

On the subject of tracking, is anyone else amused at the number of people who drove home with their trackers on? 🤦‍♂️ If Google Street View is to be trusted it's true that not all yotties are rich! 😁
Only low risk if you know the area well. I am pretty sure the passage is described well in the Peter Bruce book - but I don't have it to hand.

Certainly when I have done RTIR I have seen several boats pass inside - but whether that is good navigation or good luck I am not qualified to guess

matt1

Visit site
The MOB incident on the Dufour 40 looked to be very scary and given the casualty age a very lucky escape that could easily have gone the other way! Seemed like very impressive seamanship from a highly experienced crew. Kudos

j80

Visit site
Deleted. Not sure.
I think what makes it look like a reef is that the clew of the main on HP is shorter than the boom - google "Contessa 26 High Potential" to see. If it is acknowledged that C26's/folkboats are IRC bandits anyway - I would imagine that HP like Meow represents "IRC optimisation" to a serious level - still beautifully sailed though.

MikeBz

Visit site
I’m very happy to be wrong, but I don’t understand what is holding the head of the headsail so far forward of the mast if the main is fully hoisted.

IMG_1919.jpeg

jlavery

Visit site
Interesting sequence. I'd be interested to hear how they managed the incident. Great seamanship.

Difficult to tell from sequence but looks like 1st attempt was with main up. Then dropped it.

Also recovery over stern. Contact further forward and led aft, then recovered? Or (with sufficient crew) crew at stern ready in case missed further forward?

Coincidental cross reference to other thread on MOB recovery. You can have all the plans in the world - the real thing may pan out differently.

Neeves

Visit site
Interesting sequence. I'd be interested to hear how they managed the incident. Great seamanship.

Difficult to tell from sequence but looks like 1st attempt was with main up. Then dropped it.

Also recovery over stern. Contact further forward and led aft, then recovered? Or (with sufficient crew) crew at stern ready in case missed further forward?

Coincidental cross reference to other thread on MOB recovery. You can have all the plans in the world - the real thing may pan out differently.
I am conscious that real life can be so different to action at the time

In view of current threads here, and it may have been already defined, how did he go overboard?

Considering the conditions all crew members should have been wearing LJs and harnesses and each member should have been tethered, with at least one tether always connected to the jackstays or a hard point. The theory is - you cannot go overboard.

I know theory and practice are different but we need to learn.

Jonathan

flaming

Visit site
I am conscious that real life can be so different to action at the time

In view of current threads here, and it may have been already defined, how did he go overboard?

Considering the conditions all crew members should have been wearing LJs and harnesses and each member should have been tethered, with at least one tether always connected to the jackstays or a hard point. The theory is - you cannot go overboard.

I know theory and practice are different but we need to learn.

Jonathan
Lifejackets yes, and of course the race committee flew yankee to make the wearing of them mandatory but being clipped on was not, and would not, be my choice for this type of race.

It's a balance, but I feel that in such a busy race with so much traffic the risks of being clipped on to the wrong side of the boat during more normal "tack now" type situations outweigh the benefits in the "knocked off the boat whilst sitting still" occurrence.

True offshore racing is a very different situation.