Norfolk Broads for Summer

riverliver

Visit site
Hi Boatpeople
The boat is in the marina for the winter season so my mind turns to next season. I am on the middle thames and know that beat pretty well. So my mind has turned to other inland water. Due to the height canals are unfortunately a no go which got me thinking about moving the boat to the broads for the summer. I would get a commercial lift and transfer. Would that make sense?
Haven't been on the broads for maybe 15 years but had a great time on a hire boat back in the day.
I haven't found any threads or commentary suggesting this is something anyone does which makes me wonder if I am missing something fundamental.
Idea would be to base the boat there for the summer and either stay on or visit back and forth over summer.
Does this make sense?
I Know Potter Higham is a squeeze but any other pitfalls?

Thanks in advance

GrandadPig

Visit site
Hi Boatpeople
The boat is in the marina for the winter season so my mind turns to next season. I am on the middle thames and know that beat pretty well. So my mind has turned to other inland water. Due to the height canals are unfortunately a no go which got me thinking about moving the boat to the broads for the summer. I would get a commercial lift and transfer. Would that make sense?
Haven't been on the broads for maybe 15 years but had a great time on a hire boat back in the day.
I haven't found any threads or commentary suggesting this is something anyone does which makes me wonder if I am missing something fundamental.
Idea would be to base the boat there for the summer and either stay on or visit back and forth over summer.
Does this make sense?

Thanks in advance

Spent a summer on the Broads many years ago. Horrible. Full of inexperienced motorboat drivers, not helmsmen, low bridges, which meant dropping the mast frequently, very busy and crowded. Moved the boat to the Blackwater and never regretted it. Lots to explore, proper tides and even in the summer there is room to move. Just my opinion of course

harvey38

Visit site
I'd be checking the following first -

Mooring availability
Financial viability
Boat licence costs
Facilities
Bridge heights
Tidal area

Last edited:

Chris_d

Visit site
I think the best advice for doing the Broads is to hire a boat, they are all built like battleships for a reason in Norfolk.
Not sure I would like to take my pride and joy there, it will get hit at some point.

ROBMH

Visit site
My friend has a house with a mooring at Hoveton, the Broads a a lovely place but since lockdown boating in the peak season is more like navigating the M25.
Many hire boats have inexperienced skippers so over fendering is a must. the best boating we have had is late autumn to early spring. Great advantage over rivers is no queuing at locks. Don't let me put you off its still a wonderful place to get afloat

Scapegoat

Visit site
We hired a broads cruiser from NYA last year for a week and really enjoyed it. There was a Broom Cruise meet up at Beccles on the August BH so the area seems ok for private boats. Might be worth contacting a Cruising Club in the area for local information

Plum

Visit site
Hi Boatpeople
Does this make sense?

Thanks in advance
I had a week on the Broads and loved it but I went out of the main holiday season (kids at school). Went in at Great Yarmouth from the river Crouch and bought a visitor's licence on arrival so no booking necessary.

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

The Q

Visit site
You don't say what type of boat you have.. dimensions would help.

If you've got a sailing boat , absolute max draft for sailing , 4ft 6inches but much better 3ft, that's what the majority of broads sailing boats have..

Yes the northern broads are busy, but it's not a problem you just choose time and place,
After the Easter school holidays through to the start of the summer holidays is I think the best time.
I sail and motorboat all year round.

Note except for a couple of weeks visitor pass. broads tax is for a year, no refunds for a part year.
Your broads tax you can work out here..
Annual toll .
You also need a boats safety scheme certificate.

Moorings, a 27ft motor boat at Horning sailing club under £700, + £150 family membership. A row of 200ft ( dinghies provided) across the river to the moorings from the clubhouse, a sailing boat mooring across the river is half the price of a motorboat mooring..
facilities, water, showers, car park, at the club house.
Commercial moorings with electricity, water and parking in a marina could be £2000.

Much of the broads is tidal Horning 19 miles inland by river you can get a 2mph incoming tide, 4 out.

Bridge heights are here..
Bridge heights and openings but if you've a wide boat that also can have an effect on clearances.

Broads navigation regulations are here , Byelaws and speed limits

Note that Colregs DO NOT APPLY on the Norfolk Broads.

If you have particular questions, I'll try to answer any you've got I've been living here for 20+ years this time and for 6 years of the previous 25, plus many visits a year between

Last edited:

Leighb

Visit site
Hi Boatpeople
Does this make sense?

Thanks in advance
As you mention that height is a problem on canals, then it may also be a problem on the Broads depending on your air draft. Potter Heigham is about 6'6' I think. If that might be a possibility for you as a "squeeze" then you can probably go most places, other low bridges include those at Yarmouth on the Bure around 7'6" but at HW, and Wroxham. If you air draft is 8 or 9' then you will have to think carefully about where you can get to.

riverliver

Visit site
thanks for the responses - for some reason I didn't get pinged so assumed no response?

Very helpful. Seems like best advice is to hire something there first to get the lay of the land/water

thanks again

Portland Billy

Visit site
Done the Thames to the Broads several times. Best June or early July. Stop off at Southwold on the way up and Harwich on the way down.
Took a berth at Brundal for a couple of months each time and with an air draught of 11 ft was able to work the tides for Northern and Southern Broads, with some restrictions.
Will probably do it again this year if the price of diesel permits.
Last time did Lowestoft to Teddington at one go. But 23 knots most of the way.- ,expensive !!

The Q

Visit site
If you are on the broads in the summer.. something to think about.
Up to 150 sailing boats, from 14ft to 40ft
50 miles to sail, under 3 bridges ( twice).
24 hours to do it.
The record is about 8 hours,
The worst only about 13 boats finished...

Entries for the 3RR 2023 are now open.

3rd 4th June 2023.

Entries here.

Home

Slowboat35

Visit site
Your first problem in 2023 will be merely entering the Broads system.
Gt Yarmouth Haven bridge remains inop despite waiting three or four years for repairs which have been serially botched and there is no timescale for a fix. 2.9m air draft available there.
Lowestoft Lake Lothing rail (swing) bridge is also afaik long-term inop though as it is 'run' by Network RFail it is not at all easy to determine it's exact status as they are very coy about it. 4.6m air draft. The Bascule bridge and Mutford Lock are reliable.
Both ports are having a brand new lifting bridge built as well so construction work may well (inevitably) cause further disruption at times.
Different authorities operate and hopefully somehow co-ordinate these bridges but it is not always straightforward. Yarmouth used to work well but with the new bridge operated remotely from Liverpool I won't be holding my breath. If and when the Haven bridge does open be aware there is nothing but an inhospitable length of quay between it and the new bridge to hold on - subject to 4-5Kt currents. With the new bridges in operation a further complication will be added as it won't be possible to accommodate simultaneous entry and exit at both ports without double lifts on one bridge which would be hugely unpopular locally.

Once those hurdles are over you have the appreciable risk of breakdowns of the Reedham and Somerleyton bridges, both ancient and decrepit and especially liable to fail in hot weather due to metal expansion. Network Fail seem unable to get over this problem too, or to publish credible status reports.
Do not be misled that any of the Norwich bridges will ever open again, despite their legal obligation to do so (legislation that applies to all the bridges mentioned I believe tho possibly not Mutford - which is one of the few that works well.)
A lot of homework will need to be done before such a visit if needing bridges to move, plus assiduous checking immediately before departure.

The Northern Broads are restricted by 2.1m air draft at Yarmouth.

Portland Billy

Visit site
Slowboat35. You seem to have disregarded the low water clearances.
I have been through Yarmouth with 11ft aircraft on numerous occasions.
And there are several mooring points to await tide .

Plum

Visit site
The Northern Broads are restricted by 2.1m air draft at Yarmouth.
Not in my experience. According to my research before I visited, requiring a 3m airdraft, Vauxhall bridge is 3.96m above CD (for access to the northern broads) so depending on the tidal height at low water airdraft varies between 2.7 and 3.8m depending on neaps or springs. If you can get under this bridge (obviously allowing a margin of safety) then you do not need to rely on pre-booking a lifting of the Haven bridge if entering from the sea at Gt Yarmouth.

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

Slowboat35

Visit site
Correct, I was quoting minimum figures. Mea culpa.
Even so with under 4m to the N Broads and 5 into the system itself at Yarmouth it's pretty restricted and still not doable at all in larger boats.
I'm intrigued at the "several" moorings to await a tide at Yarmouth. I'm only aware of two, and that's being charitable. Town Quay is the only place you can tie up below the Haven bridge and there is a waiting pontoon between that and the Breydon bridge - (assuming you can get under the Haven bridge in the first place) if you need air to get into the N system.