I understand why mobo's are hated by some raggies

DAKA

Visit site
That raises an interesting point, why don't motorboats have gimballed stoves ? It would make having a brew at anchor a lot safer, especially with all those bloody water-skiers about :D

I can understand the need to have a cup of tea early morning ( anchorage should be calm and wash free then), but in the interests of safety when anchored in busy areas of the solent why not make do with a cold beer straight out the fridge :D

GuyS.

Visit site
I can understand the need to have a cup of tea early morning ( anchorage should be calm and wash free then), but in the interests of safety when anchored in busy areas of the solent why not make do with a cold beer straight out the fridge :D

That's not a half bad idea, although slightly harder to dunk a digestive biscuit in :)

D

Deleted User YDKXO

The Solent is very busy, if you dont like wash its not the place to be on a sunny weekend, best wait to early hours or late evening when it can be enjoyed wash free or try another area .
I'm with you on this daka. Boating in the Solent on a summer sunday and expecting not to be tossed about by wash is like expecting to walk across the M25 on a Friday evening and expecting to live. If people don't like it the way things are in the Solent then go somewhere quieter or go boating on a weekday. There are plenty of boating areas around the UK which are far less crowded. As for anchoring outside Newtown Creek, I know that is a recognised anchorage but you definitely don't drop the hook there on a sunny summer sunday and expect not to spill your tea. With the best will in the world and however boaters behave, you're going to get wash in waters which have a large number of craft cruising in them, not to mention the wash from commercial craft of all sorts who certainly won't slow down

paultallett

www.caymanreef.co.uk
I'm with you on this daka. Boating in the Solent on a summer sunday and expecting not to be tossed about by wash is like expecting to walk across the M25 on a Friday evening and expecting to live. If people don't like it the way things are in the Solent then go somewhere quieter or go boating on a weekday. There are plenty of boating areas around the UK which are far less crowded. As for anchoring outside Newtown Creek, I know that is a recognised anchorage but you definitely don't drop the hook there on a sunny summer sunday and expect not to spill your tea. With the best will in the world and however boaters behave, you're going to get wash in waters which have a large number of craft cruising in them, not to mention the wash from commercial craft of all sorts who certainly won't slow down

I totally hear what your saying. I've said all along wash from boats being at sea I have no issue with and knew it was never going to be calm.......

But......

I still have issues with boats being on the plane as they go through anchored boats...... Be it a mobo or a raggie!! :D

I can't see this as acceptable.

oldgit

Visit site
Please Sir......its so windy and my rudders are so small !Sob

"when following a vessel down the fairway at 2-3 knots, mobos have very little steerage, due to small rudders or outdrives, we are very much at the mercy of wind and tide"

This is the most feeble weedy excuse to be invented ... ever ..and anybody using it really ought to hang their head in absolute shame :).

Anybody wheeling out this tired olde excuse really needs to a brush up their boating skills or get a proper boat suitable for their location ,try using that whinge somewhere up on really congested waters such as the Thames on a busy bank holiday and you will be larfed off the river.

DAKA

Visit site
I totally hear what your saying. I've said all along wash from boats being at sea I have no issue with and knew it was never going to be calm.......

But......

I still have issues with boats being on the plane as they go through anchored boats...... Be it a mobo or a raggie!! :D

I can't see this as acceptable.

If I get tired while towing my caravan round the M25 would you mind if I put the steadies down, make an ovaltine and have a few hours kip :D

Its not safe as its too busy same as its the clots dropping their anchors in the way thats the problem, not the wash.

oceanfroggie

www.derg.ie
"when following a vessel down the fairway at 2-3 knots, mobos have very little steerage, due to small rudders or outdrives, we are very much at the mercy of wind and tide"

This is the most feeble weedy excuse to be invented ... ever ..and anybody using it really ought to hang their head in absolute shame :).

Anybody wheeling out this tired olde excuse really needs to a brush up their boating skills or get a proper boat suitable for their location ,try using that whinge somewhere up on really congested waters such as the Thames on a busy bank holiday and you will be larfed off the river.

Agree anybody who can't handle a mobo competantly in such circumstances is clearly incompetant.

SpottyDog5

Visit site
Clearly...
Not an a excuse but a fact, thought it might be appreciated by someone who hadn't experienced a mobo in windy or fast moving water at low speed.
Shame, I hoped this might be a constructive thread for a change.

Last edited:

DougH

Visit site

In a rag & stick with a keel of some sort 2 - 3 knots is ok, but just try that in our marina where the fairway is very tight and the wind is blowing at right angles to the fairway.

I've got 2 x 900hp engines and 2 x thrusters and holding station whilst raggies faff around is very very difficult.

If you are serious with your 'feeble weedy excuse' statement you really should try a proper sized boat not a tender.:)

Last edited:

oldgit

Visit site
Clearly...
Not an a excuse but a fact, thought it might be apeciated by someone who hadn't experienced a mobo in windy or fast moving water at low speed.
Shame, I hoped this might be a constructive thread for a change.

Appreciate what you are saying and many of us started out with a lightweight outdrive sports cruisers,mine a Regal,was a particularly unpleasant and lethal version of the species.
About as stable as a tupperware box and constructed about as well,with any wind present it was hard work persuading it to go in straight line.
You risked you life trying to get to the front of the boat across the curvey and flimsy cabin roof.
Fortunately the petrol engines and mercruiser outdrives proved so unreliable the boat was very soon up for sale.
It was replaced by a much better boat,which was also petrol on outdrive however Princess knew how to build a nicely handling boat and Regal did not.

DAKA

Visit site
I can usually tell the difference between when you are talking sense or *******s, but I dont get this one.

If they go to Yarmouth at 6 knots, it only takes half an hour, so still worth going :confused:

Oh Nick, really ?

You should try to understand your punters needs :D

First let me say that when I fist came to the solent from the East coast I would slow down / giveway/ wide berth almost everything. Having been on the south coast now for several years and witnessed time and time again abuse upclose for not doing anything wrong at all I now fully understand and forgive the apparent selfish actions of some mobos.

My first encounter was on a seatrial , I was amazed how the Broker encouraged me to chop the raggies up. " we all make our choice of boat " he said.

Now on to your specific question about 'Fat selfish porker of Lymington'
90% of the fun in taking a 50ft flybridge from Lymington to Yarmouth is going on the plane.

If selfish porky just wanted to pootle , he wouldnt invest in a 35gph 50ft flybridge, may as well get a sailing boat or even cheaper to catch the ferry !

If fat selfish porker waited until there was a clear area and 1 mile clear from Yarmouth it really wouldnt be worth going on the plane or casting off.

If ever we have a cil to wait for we dont pootle, we plane and play do nuts until the cil opens. :cool:

ps
we called earlier in the month to see you and I asked after you but you had a few days off....................lucky you ;)

gjgm

Visit site
If I get tired while towing my caravan round the M25 would you mind if I put the steadies down, make an ovaltine and have a few hours kip :D

Its not safe as its too busy same as its the clots dropping their anchors in the way thats the problem, not the wash.

Dont think you are being quite fair. It is pretty deep to the west of N/Creek, so you dont need to anchor 1/2mile into the Solent. That being the case, there is no need to short cut through moored boats when you can swing 100metres off shore and avoid them. OP isnt complaining about boats on the plane running down the SOlent, but boats charging through boats at anchor.

paultallett

www.caymanreef.co.uk
Dont think you are being quite fair. It is pretty deep to the west of N/Creek, so you dont need to anchor 1/2mile into the Solent. That being the case, there is no need to short cut through moored boats when you can swing 100metres off shore and avoid them. OP isnt complaining about boats on the plane running down the SOlent, but boats charging through boats at anchor.

Spot on!!

rubberduck

www.atlas-courier-express.co.uk
We created a 3 inch swell on Sunday & got shouted at. Some peeps should trade in the boat for a deck chair in the back garden. Then they would probably moan it was too windy or too hot!!!:D Why do old people moan so much, & then they moan that you never go to see them, which is because they moan so much!!!!! :confused::confused::confused:

lisilou

Visit site
We created a 3 inch swell on Sunday & got shouted at. Some peeps should trade in the boat for a deck chair in the back garden. Then they would probably moan it was too windy or too hot!!!:D Why do old people moan so much, & then they moan that you never go to see them, which is because they moan so much!!!!! :confused::confused::confused:

lol made me spill my drink!!!
:D

DougH

Visit site
If this is a pissing contest I think we've all lost. :D

No did not intend to convey any such sentiment. :cool:

In Cala d'Or we get up to 30m boats and I can assure you their engines are much larger than mine.:mad:

I just fail to understand how people consider themselves Master Mariners when in reality they are pleasure sailors (power and sail)

Cala d'Or can be a very tricky marina to berth in if the late afternoon breeze/wind is up for a play around and we have seen many very experienced professional teaching school skippers get into problems.

Certainly do not laugh at them but do try to see what went wrong for them and see if we can learn anything from their misfortune.

oldgit

Visit site
"Cala d'Or can be a very tricky marina to berth in if the late afternoon breeze"

Must be some different Cala d Or to the one we all know and love.
Just about the most sheltered marina going and with zero tide :).

grumpy_o_g

Visit site
In a rag & stick with a keel of some sort 2 - 3 knots is ok, but just try that in our marina where the fairway is very tight and the wind is blowing at right angles to the fairway.

I've got 2 x 900hp engines and 2 x thrusters and holding station whilst raggies faff around is very very difficult.

If you are serious with your 'feeble weedy excuse' statement you really should try a proper sized boat not a tender.:)

We all have to wait sometimes while others faff around and the big flybridge boats can be some of the worst, though I suspect that's often caused by an inexperienced or inadequately trained helm and won't apply to most on here. Perhaps some of the several hundreds of thousands of pounds these boats cost should be spent on giving them the same basic functionality as a £500 17' Foxcub? The fact that a boat with twin props and twin thrusters that costs a small fortune can't be handled in a marina as well as an outdated and cheap mass-produced yacht design with a small outboard suggests to me that something is seriously wrong. After all cars that can't cope with traffic aren't allowed on the road and aircraft that have handling restrictions aren't allowed in certain airspaces or at certain airfields.

I know there's a bit of tongue-in-cheek with your post but, in Poole at least, I find the inability of people to control their boats (including some raggies, though definitely fewer) a far bigger problem than wash.