I understand why mobo's are hated by some raggies

DAKA

Visit site
Are you for real? If you are geostationary you cannot go aground or under a tree. Unless you're already aground or under a tree.

this is hard work :rolleyes:

Nothing to do with this thread, I have in my mind the River trent which can flood over 9 knots.

Loads of goose neck bends.

You couldnt stand ground.
if yopu and solitair can, great marvellous but not many boats can do 9 knots in astern.

MapisM

Visit site
My experience with tides is nowhere near what you guys are used to around the UK.
But even with this caveat, I really can't see what the steering capability has to see with that.
My own boat cruises at 9kts, but even if I should go against a 10kts current, I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't have any trouble in keeping her wherever I wish, while I'm being gently pushed backward at 1kt.
If you're talking of IRREGULAR current, which you can find in narrow rivers where the water flows faster at the center, that's a different matter of course. But other than that, the steering capabilities of each vessel depend on its STW, not on the SOG.

BrendanS

Visit site
Appreciate what you are saying and many of us started out with a lightweight outdrive sports cruisers,mine a Regal,was a particularly unpleasant and lethal version of the species.
About as stable as a tupperware box and constructed about as well,with any wind present it was hard work persuading it to go in straight line.
You risked you life trying to get to the front of the boat across the curvey and flimsy cabin roof.
Fortunately the petrol engines and mercruiser outdrives proved so unreliable the boat was very soon up for sale.
It was replaced by a much better boat,which was also petrol on outdrive however Princess knew how to build a nicely handling boat and Regal did not.

Bit like slamming Ford, because of the Model T. Decades later, Regal had nice boats, a bit like Ford did decades after the Model T.

MapisM

Visit site
MapisM
In open water agreed going backwards doesnt really matter, other boats will move in a relatively familiar fashion.
But some areas are dangerous, the Goodwin sands will almost suck you in.
You would soon ground in the Trent .
I take your word for it, but that falls in the "irregular current" case which I mentioned in my previous post.
When you said that "If the current is fast, you have to go faster. Not many boats can hold positions while going astern against a current", I understood that in your view the difficulty depends on the current speed alone, whilst it actually doesn't.
It's when current is all over the place, that things get hairy.
And that can happen also with relatively low speed currents.

Last edited:

Lakesailor

Visit site
I can't agree with that. During the final day of my Yachtmaster Instructor exam,the examiner or seeing the tidal flow out of the Hamble asked me go to between "those two midstream pontoons and hold the boat agains the tide
That must have been quite daunting what with needing to keep steam pressure up and stoke the boiler as well.

:D

Last edited:

DAKA

Visit site
I take your word for it, but that falls in the "irregular current" case which I mentioned in my previous post.
When you said that "If the current is fast, you have to go faster. Not many boats can hold positions while going astern against a current", I understood that in your view the difficulty depends on the current speed alone, whilst it actually doesn't.
It's when current is all over the place, that things get hairy.
And that can happen also with relatively low speed currents.

Youre right about the irregular currents but the same applies with predictable fast water flows too and in open water.

The goodswin sands take many victims.

The current is predictable.
Its open waters.

There arnt many transits.

Its easy to follow a course staring ahead but the current will put you off track and many end up wrecked on the goodwins.

The Trent has predictable currents, in fact if ever you are in danger of grounding if you shut your engines off the current will soon automatically have you in the deepest water.

You cant hold position in astern as the current is too fast .

(except jfm under instruction of solitair of course, I can just picture the scene..............narrow boat comes round a hairpin bend @ 14 mph and meets a 70ft Squadron 3000rpm, black soot billowing out, stern and bow thruster burning through the gel, tsunami wake and solitair congratulating jfm on a fine stern too into the lock :cool:)

Narrow boat loosing his bedding plants off the roof and wake running through the patio doors ( the dipsticks have them open front and back) :D

Anyway as always just my opinion , most likely not applicable to your area.

I will continue to allow a boat coming at me downstream to have extra room and make sure I meet him in a safe area where I retain options.
But above all I will not plan to stay the night or use the stove in areas of high wash traffic, its a bit like teaching a toddler to ride a bike on the A1 and expecting the cars to slow down :rolleyes:

DAKA

Visit site
That's hard to believe Pete, didn't expect it to be anywhere near that fast. :eek:

Its not far from you Paul, you should try it especially if you have crew that arent keen on coastal cruising.

You can easily make Boston in one hop and then be inland through Lincoln to Torksey and into the trent, loads of pubs to stop at on route. The weather cant spoil your plans , just one thing to remember ...........if there is a strong side wind just go faster to compensate ;)

paultallett

www.caymanreef.co.uk
The Trent has predictable currents, in fact if ever you are in danger of grounding if you shut your engines off the current will soon automatically have you in the deepest water.

You cant hold position in astern as the current is too fast .

(except jfm under instruction of solitair of course, I can just picture the scene..............narrow boat comes round a hairpin bend @ 14 mph and meets a 70ft Squadron 3000rpm, black soot billowing out, stern and bow thruster burning through the gel, tsunami wake and solitair congratulating jfm on a fine stern too into the lock :cool:)

Narrow boat loosing his bedding plants off the roof and wake running through the patio doors ( the dipsticks have them open front and back) :D

:rolleyes:

Don't forget to include me anchored somewhere midstream to add to the excitement??

:D :D

oceanfroggie

www.derg.ie
Still think wind and tides a bit of a lame excuse, either that or the standard of helmsman on UK leisure boating scene is poor, which I doubt.

We have the same strong tides over here and very strong flows on the tidal and inland Shannon (300km) as well as coastal hot spots, lots of confined space but folks here grew up with this and seem more used to it.

jfm

Visit site
Still think wind and tides a bit of a lame excuse, either that or the standard of helmsman on UK leisure boating scene is poor, which I doubt.

We have the same strong tides over here and very strong flows on the tidal and inland Shannon (300km) as well as coastal hot spots, lots of confined space but folks here grew up with this and seem more used to it.

Shannon, man? This is the River Trent forum. All posts about boat handling, even if they don't initally say so and include red-herring references to Cala D'Or, are actually about boat handling only on the River Trent in a flood tide. Geddit? We don't want to know about the Shannon, or the UK, or the sea, or anything apart from the Trent :)

DAKA

Visit site
More pins for the jfm VooDoo doll please vicar, he's either got to much time on his hands or he is feeling bolshie.:)

Can I have a few please, :D

jfm, youre a little tinker at times, admitting a very slight (minuscule fraction of your overall posts) could be slightly inaccurate on reflection , would make the thread a lot easier to follow.

The Trent was used as I know it well, I could have chosen another water way of which there are dozens around including areas within the river solent but I suspected it would be challenged hence I selected one I knew well.

Its a shame, the forum isnt any the richer for the nonsense that goes on ( not aimed at you, to be honest very seldom you).

We dont all have 500-2000 hp boats that handle well, we dont all spend 200 hours a year playing with them , end result.............

side winds/currents = more speed = more wash= silly place to anchor=choose somewhere else or dont spend the afternoon flapping your arms about which only increases blood pressure to the amusement of the tw@ts who blat about through anchorages .

PaulGooch

www.boat-fishing.co.cc
Its not far from you Paul, you should try it especially if you have crew that arent keen on coastal cruising.

You can easily make Boston in one hop and then be inland through Lincoln to Torksey and into the trent, loads of pubs to stop at on route. The weather cant spoil your plans , just one thing to remember ...........if there is a strong side wind just go faster to compensate ;)

Boston is an easy 2 hours Pete. Crew are happy at sea, but going inland might make a change, especially in less than ideal weather. Not sure about air draft on such a trip, we need 3m ?

jfm

Visit site
jfm, youre a little tinker at times, ...

Daka apologies if coming across as bolshy. I am only following this thread briefly/without much concentration and I gotta admit it has me completely bemused. A summary of this thread, as i see it (without checking the detail and I might be wrong) is:

Various posts - boat handling.
Daka/SpottyDog5 - but you gotta go fast in a mobo becuase small rudders and steerage
Oldgit - That's feeble weedy excuse. A mobo can be held geostationary in any speed of current
JFM - agrees with Oldgit, as do several others like mapisM
Daka - not if the current is behind you so you have to run the boat astern
JFM - that's still rubbish
Daka - yeah but even though no-one has ever mentioned the river Trent on this thread and only Cala D'Or has been mentioned, I was actually talking specifically about the river Trent running at 9 knots
JFM - WTF! Gets Bolshy!

That's a fair summary innit?

:) :) :D :D

Last edited: