I understand why mobo's are hated by some raggies

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Must be some different Cala d Or to the one we all know and love.
Just about the most sheltered marina going and with zero tide :).
Agree its quite sheltered but the fairway is v tight and there are some fluky breezes at the top end where they bung visitors. Its the sort of marina where you do have to keep your wits about you

benjenbav

Visit site
We were anchored off Newtown on Sunday and it was...gorgeous. A bit rolly but no more than expected and neither beer nor tea was spilled. It would have been handy if the tide had turned an hour earlier so that we could have had a bit of shade but I suppose you can't have everything. :D

DougH

Visit site
"Cala d'Or can be a very tricky marina to berth in if the late afternoon breeze"

Must be some different Cala d Or to the one we all know and love.
Just about the most sheltered marina going and with zero tide :).

If you think that there is a lack of sometimes very strong swirling breezes/winds, particually in the bottom basin areas then you cannot 'know and love' Cala d'Or:)

The winds can change direction several times in one or two mins.

If you know Cala d'Or you will also know the long finger pontoon where they moor the visiting sailing vessels.

We see real expert boat handling to absolute fiasco's and the fiasco's are mainly caused by the sudden change of wind direction.

Most of the skippered charter/school boats are well aware of potential wind hazard and the skippers are normally ready for all wind changes.

This season a flotilla of six sailies chartered by very loud mouthed OAP Americans came to spend two nights moored.

The lady lead Skipper was very competent and tried her best to give instructions to each boat from on the pontoon. As you would expext there was mixed responses. 50% made a reasonable approach and moored with success and the other 50% was a complete fiasco with one giving great merryment to all onlookers..

Just how the Lady Skipper kept her temper I do not know.

The funny aside was that the helmsman on the worst helmed boat stopped at the back of my boat and advised me that I should practise not using the bow thruster when leaving or returning to my berth as it was bad seamanship.

When I asked him if he knew what f**k off meant he looked shocked.

Last edited:

jfm

Visit site
"when following a vessel down the fairway at 2-3 knots, mobos have very little steerage, due to small rudders or outdrives, we are very much at the mercy of wind and tide"

This is the most feeble weedy excuse to be invented ... :) ....Anybody wheeling out this tired olde excuse really needs to a brush up their boating skills
+1 :)

DAKA

Visit site
"when following a vessel down the fairway at 2-3 knots, mobos have very little steerage, due to small rudders or outdrives, we are very much at the mercy of wind and tide"

This is the most feeble weedy excuse to be invented ... ....Anybody wheeling out this tired olde excuse really needs to a brush up their boating skills

Come on guys, play fair...............you both are fortunate to have been boating for donkeys years and also fortunate to be able to boat and cast off on a regular basis.

Everyone has to start and its not long since a strong cross wind and current astern had me aiming at everything as I crabbed down the channel.

I exceeded the speed limit over the ground and sent a wake that splashed over the backs of a 5 crew rowing skiff, I couldnt even stop and apologise, by the time I drove back to the rowing club to explain it was all locked up.

Speed is required in the interests of safety in certain conditions and many speed limits do recognise this with one for against the tide and a higher one with the tide.

oceanfroggie

www.derg.ie
Sorry but don't buy the need for speed safety thing. There is a need for control and steerage, but that doesn't always have to translate to forward speed making way. When fear of loss of control sets in it can be a natural reflex to go for more power when more often it is not needed or can make situation worse.

DAKA

Visit site
Sorry but don't buy the need for speed safety thing. There is a need for control and steerage, but that doesn't always have to translate to forward speed making way. When fear of loss of control sets in it can be a natural reflex to go for more power when more often it is not needed or can make situation worse.

Speed isnt always needed agreed.
BUT there are times when you have to go faster than the current in order to steer.

If the current is fast, you have to go faster.

Not many boats can hold positions while going astern against a current.

Possibly new computer controlled joystick but doubtful against a strong current and the skipper would need to be looking 360 degrees at all times.

I dont think this is really relevant to this thread, people who wait for a flat calm mirror finish before casting off and then head for one of the busiest unrestricted speed zones to grumble about wash which is in the main insignificant to the waves found in that area most days.

People have to take responsibility for boats and crew being adequately prepared for the conditions they are freely navigating into.

jfm

Visit site
BUT there are times when you have to go faster than the current in order to steer.

If the current is fast, you have to go faster.

I just don't agree. Sure, individual skippers might have personal limitations on what they can do but it is not correct to say that boats themselves have these limitations intrinsically.

Of course a twin screw/thrustered boat can be held geostationary with a current up its bum, for as long as you want, with a crosswind too if you like

paultallett

www.caymanreef.co.uk
I dont think this is really relevant to this thread, people who wait for a flat calm mirror finish before casting off and then head for one of the busiest unrestricted speed zones to grumble about wash which is in the main insignificant to the waves found in that area most days.

People have to take responsibility for boats and crew being adequately prepared for the conditions they are freely navigating into.

Sorry Daka...... Can you point me to which point I have complaining about passing boats wash that are on passage at sea or heading into / out of Newtown??

I don't have any issue with this and we are always fully prepared for it. What I don't understand is the need to pass at speed through anchored boats in an anchorage??

I guess I've now learnt from you that it is ok and I need to join in on the fun..... I must be missing out!! ;)

DAKA

Visit site
Sorry Daka...... Can you point me to which point I have complaining about passing boats wash that are on passage at sea or heading into / out of Newtown??

I don't have any issue with this and we are always fully prepared for it. What I don't understand is the need to pass at speed through anchored boats in an anchorage??

I guess I've now learnt from you that it is ok and I need to join in on the fun..... I must be missing out!! ;)

I dont think its very polite and I wouldnt do it Paul.

I understand why others do it and I understand their actions.

I wouldnt anchor close to un restricted busy zones.

I love Studland Bay, probably in preference to CI , but I wouldnt stay on the boat during a busy BH sunny weekend, as far as I am concerned its a ski zone and I dont have the right to sit in it and winge about wash.

I prefer to sit on the beach watching until it calms down.

Solitaire

Visit site

Possibly new computer controlled joystick but doubtful against a strong current.

I can't agree with that. During the final day of my Yachtmaster Instructor exam, the examiner or seeing the tidal flow out of the Hamble asked me go to between "those two midstream pontoons and hold the boat agains the tide,": fine I said and then he said oh, and make it stern too. I got into position and did as requested, so with no forward movement I held the boat against the tide stern to. How long says I ? Oh until I say go, so we chatted about the weather etc and then after about 5 mins he said that's ok, move off.

Ok , it was a twin shaft boat, but same could have been done with stern drives. It just takes practice!

DAKA

Visit site
I just don't agree. Sure, individual skippers might have personal limitations on what they can do but it is not correct to say that boats themselves have these limitations intrinsically.

Of course a twin screw/thrustered boat can be held geostationary with a current up its bum, for as long as you want, with a crosswind too if you like

Thinking of your boat and my boat in the hamble , I accept your argument.

Thinking about faster tidal waters ( Trent/Ouse) you would soon ground your boat or get stuck under a tree.

There are many other types of boats including pro skippers (daily use pro skippers) that couldnt attempt to fight flood tide which is why it is accepted that down flow craft have priority and are allowed to go faster than boats fighting the flow.

DAKA

Visit site
I can't agree with that. During the final day of my Yachtmaster Instructor exam, the examiner or seeing the tidal flow out of the Hamble asked me go to between "those two midstream pontoons and hold the boat agains the tide,": fine I said and then he said oh, and make it stern too. I got into position and did as requested, so with no forward movement I held the boat against the tide stern to. How long says I ? Oh until I say go, so we chatted about the weather etc and then after about 5 mins he said that's ok, move off.

Ok , it was a twin shaft boat, but same could have been done with stern drives. It just takes practice!

I dont class the hamble as a fast flowing river.

see above response to jfm.

DAKA

Visit site
Please note, I have said my bit and dont care enough to get into a several page argument over this .
It really doesnt make any difference to me.

If you want to anchor next to a ski / speed boat zone , feel free.

If you want to try to stand water in a flood tide with a sand barge heading at you feel free, its not my gel coat :rolleyes:

jfm

Visit site
Thinking of your boat and my boat in the hamble , I accept your argument.

Thinking about faster tidal waters ( Trent/Ouse) you would soon ground your boat or get stuck under a tree.
Are you for real? If you are geostationary you cannot go aground or under a tree. Unless you're already aground or under a tree.

DAKA

Visit site
Oh, OK then. If you say so.

Yes and not just me, several Harbour authorities that have the two distinct navigation speed restrictions .

The trent can flood @ 9-10 knots , I would like to see anyone try to do 3 knots over the ground never mind hold still , I dont think my boat will do 10 knots in astern, some cant manage that going forwards.

(for those not used to tidal rivers the term 'flood' describes an incoming tide, if the River floods due to heavy rain the 'flood' will be slowed but the outgoing flood water will be faster.)