I understand why mobo's are hated by some raggies

C

Chrusty 1

Narrow channel for us is circa 30 meters on some inshore passages or 15m x 160m getting into our marina with boats moored either side, wind and current added to the mx. It's a bit like flying, learn to fly a light aircraft from a short slooped single runway mountain top field with loads of obstructions, or fom a choice of 10,000 ft airport runways teaches one different comfort zones and envelopes.

Setting aside physical obstructions like moored craft, I have always considered a narrow channel to be one where a vessel is constrained by draught, not comfort zones.:)

Last edited:

DAKA

Visit site
Setting aside physical obstructions like moored craft, I have always considered a narrow channel to be one where a vessel is constrained by draught, not comfort zones.:)

More importantly and what the video demonstrates so well is that it is a channel where one of the vessels considers it to be narrow enough to be constrained by draught and not BOTH of them.

DAKA

Visit site
Has it really come to pass that people are upsetting other sailors just because they can?

After talking to some charter skippers in the solent its the other way around.

Its a fact Raggies (minority) get abusive without good reason.

Charter skippers cant have their guests exposed to such rudeness and it is easily avoided by passing @ 10 knots. By the time the raggies gets the wash the charter boat is out of hearing range.

Its self preservation.

If the Charter boat passes @ 3 knots , the raggies gets chance to get a few insults lined up ready, voice can be herd as there isnt any engine noise or wave noise and skipper is embarrassed at the verbal assault his guests have just endured.

C

Chrusty 1

More importantly and what the video demonstrates so well is that it is a channel where one of the vessels considers it to be narrow enough to be constrained by draught and not BOTH of them.

The video demonstrates nothing of the kind. Considered to be doesn't come into it, he is either constrained by draft or he isn't. What he thinks is irrelevant. If the channel is half a mile wide, either one of them had plenty of room for manoeuvre. What the video does not show is what lead up to the collision, that would be very interesting to see.

C

Chrusty 1

After talking to some charter skippers in the solent its the other way around.

Its a fact Raggies (minority) get abusive without good reason.

Charter skippers cant have their guests exposed to such rudeness and it is easily avoided by passing @ 10 knots. By the time the raggies gets the wash the charter boat is out of hearing range.

Its self preservation.

If the Charter boat passes @ 3 knots , the raggies gets chance to get a few insults lined up ready, voice can be herd as there isnt any engine noise or wave noise and skipper is embarrassed at the verbal assault his guests have just endured.

What is the other way around??? I said people, not raggies or mobos. If people have started upsetting others simple because they can, then it is a very sorry state of affairs indeed.

Nothing warrants, and I mean NOTHING, the behaviour of the people you describe in your posts.

DAKA

Visit site
The video demonstrates nothing of the kind. Considered to be doesn't come into it, he is either constrained by draft or he isn't. What he thinks is irrelevant. If the channel is half a mile wide, either one of them had plenty of room for manoeuvre. What the video does not show is what lead up to the collision, that would be very interesting to see.

Again chrusty as the whole thread shows.

What is right and wrong just doesnt come into it.
In the real world some skippers of some boats will consider a channel is narrow and behave in such a way which will catch another boat out that doesnt consider it to be a narrow channel.

forget forum perfection and be ready to shift , unless you want to end up with a hole in the bow of your boat like the pilock in the video.:D

C

Chrusty 1

Again chrusty as the whole thread shows.

What is right and wrong just doesnt come into it.
In the real world some skippers of some boats will consider a channel is narrow and behave in such a way which will catch another boat out that doesnt consider it to be a narrow channel.

forget forum perfection and be ready to shift , unless you want to end up with a hole in the bow of your boat like the pilock in the video.:D

Why is he a pillock? I am not expecting "forum perfection", on the other hand, I am not prepared to accept arrogance and stupidity either.

Bottom line is, I don't sail in the Solent, and around these parts folk seem to have a better regard for one and other.

The real world you allude to is not somewhere I am familiar with, and I hope you don't mind me saying so, I think the attitude that comes across in your posts regarding other sailors, leaves something to be desired.

Nobody I know would deliberately place their vessel sail or mobo, in a position that would endanger themselves or others, neither would they deliberately try to baulk the progress of another vessel. As for passing close to anchored vessels at ten knots, well sorry, but only a complete knobhead would do something like that.

The Solent you describe sounds like a sailing hell hole, populated by total dickheads.

DAKA

Visit site
The Solent you describe sounds like a sailing hell hole, populated by total dickheads.

The Solent you describe sounds like a sailing hell hole, populated by a few total dickheads.

Anyone that ends up with a hole in their bow doesnt get any respect from me Chrusty ! By the way it wasnt the Solent, it was a collision between two raggies,

Please note I post about what I see, please dont assume I act in a similar manner :eek:

C

Chrusty 1

The Solent you describe sounds like a sailing hell hole, populated by a few total dickheads.

Anyone that ends up with a hole in their bow doesnt get any respect from me Chrusty ! By the way it wasnt the Solent, it was a collision between two raggies,

Please note I post about what I see, please dont assume I act in a similar manner :eek:

Like I said, bottom line is that I am not affected by any of it. We N. Devon sailors are a more civilised breed than you are used to, or so it would seem, raggies and mobos all seem to get along with each other just fine.

I don't know if you are just a wind up merchant, or you do in fact have a problem with raggies, but it seems to me that you might be better off finding somewhere less fraught for your boating activities.

DAKA

Visit site
Like I said, bottom line is that I am not affected by any of it. We N. Devon sailors are a more civilised breed than you are used to, or so it would seem, raggies and mobos all seem to get along with each other just fine.

I don't know if you are just a wind up merchant, or you do in fact have a problem with raggies, but it seems to me that you might be better off finding somewhere less fraught for your boating activities.

not a wind up merchant, it was Ocean Froggies that brought the 1st April video into this ;)

Occasional incidents dont really spoil the overall ambience , that can be seen by the popularity.

I know a few who have ventured into the solent from the East coast, put up the nonsense for a year or two and then gone back to the East Coast .

Seems if you have grown up in the SOlent you dont notice it , we only really notice it now if we have family / friends on board , without a doubt I do act in a different manner in order to avoid any possible embarrassment when guests are on the flybridge.

If I spot a lone raggie in his cockpit looking miserable I will pass as far away as possible and increase speed sooner after passing.

C

Chrusty 1

not a wind up merchant, it was Ocean Froggies that brought the 1st April video into this ;)

Occasional incidents dont really spoil the overall ambience , that can be seen by the popularity.

I know a few who have ventured into the solent from the East coast, put up the nonsense for a year or two and then gone back to the East Coast .

Seems if you have grown up in the SOlent you dont notice it , we only really notice it now if we have family / friends on board , without a doubt I do act in a different manner in order to avoid any possible embarrassment when guests are on the flybridge.

If I spot a lone raggie in his cockpit looking miserable I will pass as far away as possible and increase speed sooner after passing.

Leaving aside previous matters but one, you speak of popularity, is it popularity or convenience, what I mean is, convenient to the "affluent" south/southeast?

Over the years I have sailed in the Solent on a number of occasions, and too be honest, apart from a small number of reasonably pretty small harbours, I could find nothing to recommend it, compared to say Fowey, Falmouth or the Helford. In my opinion, once you get down past Exmouth, there is a lot more for the cruising man or woman to enjoy.

DAKA

Visit site
Its the fact that it is a sheltered river which doest get rough so you cant get storm bound .
Its a bit like the Norfolk broads but the River is a bit wider so you can pretend to be at sea which for a mobo means sssssssssssssspeed :)

C

Chrusty 1

Its the fact that it is a sheltered river which doest get rough so you cant get storm bound .
Its a bit like the Norfolk broads but the River is a bit wider so you can pretend to be at sea which for a mobo means sssssssssssssspeed :)

Hmmmmm, well it doesn't fit with my definition of a river, but hey, we is all different I suppose.:) Have you tried going outside the Island, just by way of a change like?

C

Chrusty 1

Apart from round the island race, there are hardly any boats the other side, and no marinas, I like it inside where there are lots of sailing boats to watch :cool:

You like marinas too by the sound of it.