French canals this winter?

Kelpie

Visit site
If you don't leave until September then as nortada has intimated, coast hopping is best around Biscay. You must always have a refuge to dive into in mind when planning your day. I have experienced F12 winds while hiding up river in L'Aber-Wrach, it took 6 weeks of dodging gales to sale from La Rochelle to Penzance in September/October. It can blow for weeks at a time so allow plenty of waiting time.
Thanks, not really a surprise of course.
I imagine that the canals could offer steadier progress, so long as I get south before the ice arrives.
Might just have to flip a coin at this rate, as both options clearly have pros and cons.

Grehan

www.french-waterways.com
Leaving in September you wouldn't expect to experience icing on the traditional canals (i.e between Paris and the Saône) until late November (perhaps). Plenty of time to take in Rouen (including mast unstepping), Paris*, Meaux, Epernay, etc.
* Paris needs some forward planning and booking even for a short stay - the inland port there (l'Arsenal) is good, safe, within easy walking distance of all the attractions - and consequently popular.
FWIW When we first arrived at l'Arsenal in October 2003 we encountered a lady with a couple of young children, on a small yacht. She was en route for Narbonne (close to the Med) for the winter. She would have had to make much faster daily progress than we wanted to. Possible I suppose, but not that enjoyable.

Last edited:

Sea Devil

www.michaelbriant.com
Thanks, not really a surprise of course.
I imagine that the canals could offer steadier progress, so long as I get south before the ice arrives.
Might just have to flip a coin at this rate, as both options clearly have pros and cons.
I have done them in 14 days and as Greham says you are unlikely to get ice before December/January and if you leave in late September you easily be in the Med by then... Without rush... They are a really good experience, lovely way to visit France - if you allow 6 weeks from Le Havre or St Valery you will have a really easy time all the way to Port Napoleon or Sete

luckybeanz

www.luckybeanz.com
When I had Paw Paw a 12 metre Westerly Ocean 43 for around 10 years we cruised every summer from La Rochelle along the north coast of Spain then Portugal down to Lisbon or beyond.. We were never the biggest boat in those harbours... They are well equipped for cruising boats and absolutely lovely and easy to visit. (or were - only 90 days now so maybe that's a problem)
What was the return journey to La Rochelle like from say Lisbon?

Jegs

Visit site
Thanks to everybody who was contributed. I obviously have more options available than I previously realised.
Our departure date might end up being dictated by Covid and vaccinations. I'm seeing that some countries are going to let people in if they're 3 weeks past their second shot. Based on our ages that could be late September (assuming first shot in early June). And I don't know how our five year old son fits in to that.

If we can't leave the UK until the end of September, we are probably pushing our luck trying to cross Biscay in one go... but maybe the inshore route is still viable, with some lengthy stops along the way waiting on weather windows.
Without wishing to teach grandmothers' to .................... May I suggest that you check with your insurer with regard to crossing Biscay late September/October.

ATB,
John G

PlanB

Visit site
Without wishing to teach grandmothers' to .................... May I suggest that you check with your insurer with regard to crossing Biscay late September/October.

ATB,
John G
Very good point - our insurers required us to be clear of Biscay by 30 September.

Kelpie

Visit site

ATB,
John G
Thanks, but it's quite an old thread. I crossed Biscay in August 2021.

westernman

www.devalk.nl
I know this is an ancient thread, but you should be aware the it has not rained anywhere in France for over a month.
Water levels are very low everywhere, including in one of the reservoirs which is used to fill the Canal du Midi as well as supply drinking water.

I suspect canal levels in many places are very low.