French canals this winter?

Grehan

www.french-waterways.com
I have a commercially endorsed Powerboat 2... is that sufficient?
As noted previously - Waterway Regulations | ICC + CEVNI Qualifications - I don't know if that particular qualification can be translated into ICC. As Tranona says, ask the RYA and I'd be interested in what they say.

FWIW We get a number of enquiries from U.S skippers who have the U.S Coastguard (I think it is) qualification. It doesn't* equate to ICC or enable an ICC to be issued on the back of it, even though it's obviously perfectly valid evidence of competence. *As far as I am aware.

Also FWIW and as per Nortada in 18 years of inland, including a few years of offshore, cruising we have never been asked for our ICC, CEVNI Yachtmaster, Coastal, Competent Crew, Diesel or VHF or First Aid certificates - and that's not to negate how much we value the effort we put into getting them and the resulting way we can manage to do stuff. Like everyone else I think, we have regularly been asked for insurance and boat documentation.

Last edited:

Sea Devil

www.michaelbriant.com
The official in front doesn’t really have a say in it it’s an MCA “Ticket” or commercial endorsed professional qualification administrated by the RYA
None of the RYA tickets will get you a French skippers licence or a Spanish skipper licence, even in the USA it will not excahange for a Captains coast guard and I suspect most governments in the world will not give you a skippers licence on the basis of an RYA anything

JVL

Visit site
None of the RYA tickets will get you a French skippers licence or a Spanish skipper licence, even in the USA it will not excahange for a Captains coast guard and I suspect most governments in the world will not give you a skippers licence on the basis of an RYA anything
All well and dandy but seeing as I have no desire to hold a French, Spanish or any other nations “Skipper Ticket” I think he point is moot ! I hold an ICC with cevni endorsement should I wish to traverse the European canal network

Sea Devil

www.michaelbriant.com
All well and dandy but seeing as I have no desire to hold a French, Spanish or any other nations “Skipper Ticket” I think he point is moot ! I hold an ICC with cevni endorsement should I wish to traverse the European canal network
I have an ICC and Cevni for 40 years and nobody has ever, ever, asked to see it -- which is tragic as along with my VHF operators licence its the only formal qualification I have in anything!

Sea Devil

www.michaelbriant.com
And I exaggerate! My ICC allows me to drive everything but to get it back in the day, I just asked my sailing club secretary to sign the form! So really it is only my VHF and CEVNI that I have formally qualified for - and nobody ever has asked to see them. Which says something about the value of 'qualifications' over just going sailing

JVL

Visit site
And I exaggerate! My ICC allows me to drive everything but to get it back in the day, I just asked my sailing club secretary to sign the form! So really it is only my VHF and CEVNI that I have formally qualified for - and nobody ever has asked to see them. Which says something about the value of 'qualifications' over just going sailing
Mmm+

Kelpie

Visit site
The prevailing wind and current are from the north (behind you!!) . You usually get southerly winds (headwinds for you) early in the year but intermittently

I thought there were westerlies along the north coast of Spain. But I could be wrong.
Makes no difference where I'm starting from...

Kelpie

Visit site
Been reading up on JimB's website about N coast of Spain, it sounds really interesting. I wonder how my 12x4m boat will look in those fishing harbours...

Sea Devil

www.michaelbriant.com
Been reading up on JimB's website about N coast of Spain, it sounds really interesting. I wonder how my 12x4m boat will look in those fishing harbours...
When I had Paw Paw a 12 metre Westerly Ocean 43 for around 10 years we cruised every summer from La Rochelle along the north coast of Spain then Portugal down to Lisbon or beyond.. We were never the biggest boat in those harbours... They are well equipped for cruising boats and absolutely lovely and easy to visit. (or were - only 90 days now so maybe that's a problem)

Kelpie

Visit site
Thanks to everybody who was contributed. I obviously have more options available than I previously realised.
Our departure date might end up being dictated by Covid and vaccinations. I'm seeing that some countries are going to let people in if they're 3 weeks past their second shot. Based on our ages that could be late September (assuming first shot in early June). And I don't know how our five year old son fits in to that.

If we can't leave the UK until the end of September, we are probably pushing our luck trying to cross Biscay in one go... but maybe the inshore route is still viable, with some lengthy stops along the way waiting on weather windows.

nortada

Visit site
Thanks to everybody who was contributed. I obviously have more options available than I previously realised.
Our departure date might end up being dictated by Covid and vaccinations. I'm seeing that some countries are going to let people in if they're 3 weeks past their second shot. Based on our ages that could be late September (assuming first shot in early June). And I don't know how our five year old son fits in to that.

If we can't leave the UK until the end of September, we are probably pushing our luck trying to cross Biscay in one go... but maybe the inshore route is still viable, with some lengthy stops along the way waiting on weather windows.
Hope we have helped you,

Even were it possible, I wouldn’t contemplate Biscay direct after the end of August. I have done it in winter in. Nic 55 and would never do it again.???

As an Irish passport holder, time is on your side, you could pick the weather and have leisurely day sails to Royan and then you still can decide inland or coastal route.

Moreover, there are plenty of nice places to winter on route.

Whatever, please let us all know how your get on.

Have a safe adventure and remember, there is a beer or two waiting for you in Lagos,

Last edited:

BoyBlue49

Visit site
If you don't leave until September then as nortada has intimated, coast hopping is best around Biscay. You must always have a refuge to dive into in mind when planning your day. I have experienced F12 winds while hiding up river in L'Aber-Wrach, it took 6 weeks of dodging gales to sail from La Rochelle to Penzance in September/October. It can blow for weeks at a time so allow plenty of waiting time.

Last edited: