French canals this winter?

Sea Devil

www.michaelbriant.com
We had told our insurers we were coast hopping Biscay and they still required us clear by 30 Sep.
I lived in and sailed from La Rochelle for almost 15 years mainly with a Westerly Ocean 43 and I promise you the weather from October all along that Atlantic coast is pretty awful - gales and rumours of gales - As you get down towards Gib towards Christmas it gets really dodgy. The link is to the results of a Gale in La Rochelle when we were nearly on board.
If I was leaving late in the year I would choose the canal routes over coast hopping - I have done the Channel - Med in 14 days and the French canal authorities do indeed do major works in the winter they plan on the commercial routes to arrange alternatives for commercial traffic which is an important transport facility in France.... So there are alternatives and these works normally do not get intense until November/December
La Rochelle Storm Damage
I would not coast hop starting late September but maybe enter the canal system in Calais or St Valery sur Somme - this video explains those routes

Kelpie

Visit site
Thanks. Quite a split between people suggesting the coastal route vs the canals.
Could anybody (@Grehan ?) give a very rough indication of the fees for transiting the canal network? I'll have a browse through his website as well in case I can spot that information.

Of course with a bit of luck, planning, and hard work, we will get away on time and do the big hop down from Ireland in early summer... but nothing is guaranteed so we need a plan B for if we don't get away early enough.

Sea Devil

www.michaelbriant.com
Thanks. Quite a split between people suggesting the coastal route vs the canals.
Could anybody (@Grehan ?) give a very rough indication of the fees for transiting the canal network? I'll have a browse through his website as well in case I can spot that information.
https://www.vnf.fr/vnf/app/uploads/2021/01/Tarifs_péage_plaisance_privée_2021_FR-web.pdf

The VNF charge for the vignette - the French licence to be on the waterways by a combination of the LOA of the boat and the time you intend spending in the canal system which in fact starts at Rouen - You buy the vignette on line from the VNF site
Cost of taking mast down in Rouen is around 170 euro and around the same at Port Napoleon to put it up. carry on deck free except for timber to make frames to hold it... Have it taken Rouen to Port st Louis is around 1200 euro
Parking in the canal and river systems is free - unless you choose to go into one of the very few marinas - the entire passage by canal is a quarter of the costs of coast hopping - still water or downstream - and speed limits in canals..

Grehan

www.french-waterways.com
Full details of 2021 navigation fees here - Waterway Regulations | VNF Navigation Licence Fees
Fees are only applicable for the time you're actually moving/cruising.
You should also be aware of competence/qualification requirements - Waterway Regulations | ICC + CEVNI Qualifications

Whilst mooring in many places is effectively free (i.e. moor up in a suitable place along the bankside) that is not universally true. Realistically, you can't moor up everywhere, some locations are simply not suitable/feasible/you wouldn't want to. Mooring up in villages (i.e. places with shops and services), many of which have pontoons sometimes with water and electricity available, is sometimes free courtesy of the Mairie but often at a nominal charge. Even the inland marinas and ports (towns and cities), in the main provide very good value.

BTW One is not allowed to tie up to trees, that's what helped to spread the canker that has decimated canalside plane trees along the Midi. But, that rule is often ignored.

Last edited:

Grehan

www.french-waterways.com
We sailed for many years - South Coast and Western Med - and we love sailing. Apart from the obvious, weather/sea state/time and cost differences there is a big difference in the nature of the experience itself. Sailing (coasting) tends to be episodic, a period at sea and then a stay at a marina or on the hook, it can be an adventure of one sort or another. In contrast, inland navigation is a much quieter passage, one is immersed (wrong word?) all the while in the countryside, towns and villages as they pass by. It deserves to be taken slowly, savoured not rushed, there's a lot to appreciate if you have that mindset. And France is France, again if you're open to the culture. That's not to say that canal navigation is a piece of cake, as we all know with boating things can go wrong and I know that some here have not enjoyed the UK-Med trip. As is obvious, after 10,000+ km and 1,000+ locks, we do and that's why we liveaboard here!

Sea Devil

www.michaelbriant.com
and that's why we liveaboard here!
Hello,
How are you doing with you carte de sejour? After a long wait I went to be fingerprinted in Arras last week and expect mine to arrive at the end of march ... At which point I'm visiting the Gendarme Maritime to check on my boats status as a resident.. Before Brexit I knew the French rules - post brixit I am no longer 100% sure!

Grehan

www.french-waterways.com
Before Brexit I knew the French rules - post brixit I am no longer 100% sure!
Yes, we're in the same boat . . C d S applied for, but we're part of the group of 97,000 Brits that have applied under the post-Brexit regime, which includes everyone British that already had one. Don't know when we'll hear from Lot-et-Garonne they're not renowned for speed. But folks in Dordogne have been receiving their cards for weeks now. Sounds like Pas-de-Calais is also quite quick. We do have certification from our local Mairie as to our residence status so that's probably ok pro tem, and I have my Carte Vitale. As I've intimated, it's not yet clear (to us) exactly how other rules and regulations will be / are being applied.

Grehan

www.french-waterways.com
Thinking about it, rules and regulations-wise post-Brexit, I don't know what the status of RYA competence certification now is in Europe - Coastal skipper, Yachtmaster etc and also the power boating certificate which we also have that satisfies ICC requirement.
Can anyone enlighten me?

nortada

Visit site
Thinking about it, rules and regulations-wise post-Brexit, I don't know what the status of RYA competence certification now is in Europe - Coastal skipper, Yachtmaster etc and also the power boating certificate which we also have that satisfies ICC requirement.
Can anyone enlighten me?
Understand a UK ICC is still valid but not so sure about Yachtmaster etc.

Sea Devil

www.michaelbriant.com
Just before Dec 31, I met up with the Gendarme Maritime crew from the boat based here in Boulogne - asked the boat question and they said ask the HQ in Cherbourg... emailed them - nada... When I have my CdS I will visit the patrol boat (no office) again with ships papers and ask the question,, If still a problem I suppose I could drive to Cherbourg and see the Gendarmes there... Mind you the UK gov web site is a bit of a mess - they keep talking about residents when I think they mean citizens and do not differentiate between tax residents and and non tax residents..
Still waiting for Carte Vitale but had the two jabs... and it too is on its way... Problem with my S1 being in Spain I think

Sea Devil

www.michaelbriant.com
Understand a UK ICC is still valid but not so sure about Yachtmaster etc.
The ICC was an attempt to internationalise the standard of competence mainly for folks wanting to charter. The Yachtmaster was never an EU approved qualification - worth nothing in Europe - in Spain for example if you wanted a Spanish sailing certificate and already had a yachtmaster you still had to do all the Spanish courses and exams

Sea Devil

www.michaelbriant.com
The ICC is by definition, international but the inland waterways requirement for it was satisfied by the RYA power boat handling certification.

Vaccination! You have done well in Boulogne! We're not even thinking about wondering when we'll get ours . . .
Just got my car plates changed but my no claims bonus is proving a bit of a battle for insuramce... Just the driving licence to change but mines Spanish so it's easier but it does expire this year . The ANTS site is not that reliable or helpful

JVL

Visit site
The ICC was an attempt to internationalise the standard of competence mainly for folks wanting to charter. The Yachtmaster was never an EU approved qualification - worth nothing in Europe - in Spain for example if you wanted a Spanish sailing certificate and already had a yachtmaster you still had to do all the Spanish courses and exams
I think it depends on how you view “Yachtmaster “ , the commercial endorsement on a Yachtmaster Offshore ticket is an internationally recognised qualification .

nortada

Visit site
I think it depends on how you view “Yachtmaster “ , the commercial endorsement on a Yachtmaster Offshore ticket is an internationally recognised qualification .
Actually, to be pedantic, it is how the official in front of you views it.

I have rarely had my qualifications checked and my Yachtmaster, with endorsements has always been accepted. A few years back the RYA generated a multi-language explanation of the offshore ticket. As a back up I have an ICC but have never been asked for it but I have been asked for the ship's radio license and my operator's license.

JVL

Visit site
Actually, to be pedantic, it is how the official in front of you views it.

I have rarely had my qualifications checked and my Yachtmaster, with endorsements has always been accepted. A few years back the RYA generated a multi-language explanation of the offshore ticket. As a back up I have an ICC but have never been asked for it but I have been asked for the ship's radio license and my operator's license.
The official in front doesn’t really have a say in it it’s an MCA “Ticket” or commercial endorsed professional qualification administrated by the RYA