Bought another boat.

Bouba

Visit site
And fixed a badly leaking airvent, to now discover the starboard windscreen leaks like a tap on my new kitchen cupboard.
Will sort with some sealant temporarily until the boat is back in the water and I can have a proper look at it. It's a bit scary on the foredeck with the boat on oil drums and howling winds.
Get some heavy duty lifting strops and lay them on the ground under the boat....so if the boat does fall off it’s oil cans, a crane can easily lift it

kashurst

Visit site
Well during a busy Christmas I did get a few bits and bobs sorted. Hit Ebay for some more stainless hinges and catches. Made some Galley cupboard doors.

Went to the boat today. Fortunately the River Ouse floodwaters are nowhere near the boat yard, however Stamford Bridge is flooding again.....
Covered all the saloon ceiling panels with foam backed vinyl and a bit of trim above the windscreen. It got very very wiffy, had to leave it all for a while before going back in. They are all stacked face to face/back to back to dry flat for a few days before they will go up for hopefully the last time.

Then I did a trial fit of some of the new galley cupboard doors: Now thats none of your B&Q plywood, oh no, This plywood is WICKES 18mm plywood. ooooh. No expense spared. Thought you would be impressed.
Try and Imagine Joanna Lumley saying Wickes plywood in the style of "M & S food" As you will see the grain lines up lovely. Seems a shame to paint them really. I suspect they will get changed though from 4 doors to 3 doors as I think there is a problem using the 2nd from the left cupboad as the door opens directly above the edge of the galley work top. Didn't think of that. It requires MrsA's approval, before design change though.

6D9Nuyq.jpg

busy day, knackered now.

kashurst

Visit site
Well Xmas has been and gone - as have all the visitors. So back to work!
The saloon ceiling is now up and in:

6JGe3ox.jpg

jnaixHF.jpg

It needs some warmth to get the last few dimples out from installing it, The bedroom ceiling took a few weeks for all the low points from handling the panels to drop out, It is now very smooth. The saloon ceiling has only been up for a few days and so far the saloon ceiling is looking pretty flat. Gravity and some warmth let the foam expand and flatten out the vinyl.

Then back down in the galley. A lot of small bits behind the scenes. The upper cupboards are pretty much done and the air fryer/oven in place for trial fit etc.
The other cupboard now has a plywood lining too. So it looks a lot more hygeneic and the cupboards are a lot bigger and tidier than the originals. I have built most of the frame for the lower level cupboards too. So will be making doors for them this week, hopefully.

jMnxPdQ.jpg

The airfryer is a cupboard. It will have a shallow drawer below the airfryer/oven.

UVAdK0h.jpg

Last edited:

Ribtecer

Visit site
Well Xmas has been and gone - as have all the visitors. So back to work!
The saloon ceiling is now up and in:

6JGe3ox.jpg

jnaixHF.jpg

It needs some warmth to get the last few dimples out from installing it, The bedroom ceiling took a few weeks for all the low points from handling the panels to drop out, It is now very smooth. The saloon ceiling has only been up for a few days and so far the saloon ceiling is looking pretty flat. Gravity and some warmth let the foam expand and flatten out the vinyl.

Then back down in the galley. A lot of small bits behind the scenes. The upper cupboards are pretty much done and the air fryer/oven in place for trial fit etc.
The other cupboard now has a plywood lining too. So it looks a lot more hygeneic and the cupboards are a lot bigger and tidier than the originals. I have built most of the frame for the lower level cupboards too. So will be making doors for them this week, hopefully.

jMnxPdQ.jpg
Fabulous effort 👌

kashurst

Visit site
Best laid plans of mice and men - next week turned into nearly three weeks. My excuse, laid up with a gammy leg. But all's well now so cracked on
Galley cupboards made, doors on, they need adjusting a tad to get the lower ones properly square to each other. That's just a few turns on the hafele hinges. I should order the new worktops but I quite like the OSB now (Mrs A does not!) The big wide drawer doesn't look right so will turn that into two drawers - well it will look like two drawers to line up with the cupboards below, but will be one big on inside.

9ay74lZ.jpg

Then boxed in the port side saloon window to try out hiding/disguising the 1980s window frames. Looks OK to me. Then attacked the rather odd saloon "sideboard" which is pretty big with loads of interior space, but it had a weird sticking out section in the middle (see earlier pics). Fairline seem to have built bits of furniture then adapted them to a specific boat. My sideboard had a kind of "extension" added which made it stick out @ 5 inches. easy to remove but then discovered the two original doors are completely different sizes - so it's back to Wicke again for more 18mm ply. Wickes mind not any of that cheap B&Q carp!

GtA8rcb.jpg

kashurst

Visit site
Looking good Kashurst. You seem to be getting through the jobs really well, do you have a rough finish date in mind ?
That's a tricky one. I'm not sure I actually want to finish completely. If I did that I would have to get another one. ;-)

My loose plan is to get the interior broadly done (except the bathroom) by end of April when hopefully she goes back in the water and into a marina. At the moment she is in a boat yard on an industrial estate. There will still be quite a bit to do in terms of surface finishes. So far I have covered the ceilings and bits of wall area with white foam viny. There after there is a lot of painting and triming with different colours and materials that will keep me amused in spring when it's warmer and over next winter.

Fingers crossed by late summer I will get all the boat bits working and go for a little pootle up and down the river. But the engines haven't had a lot of love in the last 20 years so I will nurse them back up to spec carefully. Plus half the gauges don't seem to work or have a mind of their own, so it will be back to multimeters and infra red thermometers to work out what is really going on.

kashurst

Visit site
Are you painting the ply doors etc..?
I am going to paint the galley cupboard doors - roller them. Fingers crossed they should come up pretty good as I will paint them at home and leave them flat to dry.
If that's not good enough I will then light sand them and wrap them. The rest of the doors will be wrapped in di-noc/fxit wood effect film. So far MrsA's favourite wood effect is the grey wood you used. I will do the saloon sideboard doors first and see what it looks like.

Mr Googler

Visit site
Wrapping and spray finishes will look great! I would prime with zinseer bin to seal the ply up first. Expensive but goes along way.

Get a hairdryer out when it comes to wrapping. It will lay flat no probs but warming up round edges and corners is a must. Sort of job where a few more pairs of hands can help. The best thing is…if you cock it…pull off and try again! 😂😂

Mr Googler

Visit site
You can get it to curve around some pretty tight edges with a bit of warmth

Or post to me and I’ll do it for you 😂😂

Other threads that may be of interest