Bought another boat.

kashurst

Visit site
Well after 18 months without I got itchy feet again. However I have pretty much packed in the sea stuff for health reasons.
So found a good project boat to resurect over the winter. Fairline Corniche 31, with twin AQ125 petrols on 270 outdrives. Yes I know devils egg whisks etc, and yes I will probably regret it.
However I specifically sought out an outdrive boat as I will be messing about on rivers, maybe lakes and the rare coastal excursion. So I wanted the ability to lift the props out of (mostly) harms way if water gets a bit shallow. I decided also to go with small petrols as they are very simple, very quiet and the difference in price between a pair of diesels and this boat (it was a very good price) will buy an awful LOT of petrol. I have also checked where I may be going on it that petrol is available. I know in the UK coastal marinas don't often have it - but I dont plan on going to sea. According to the owners manual it should do nine knots!!! So there won't be any wake shots in the future.

On the plus side the boat has only had two previous owners and has not been messed about with. Engine bay is very clean and no nasty pongs anywhere.
Also for me on teh plus side the interior has also not been messed about with, it is pretty much completely original from the factory. However after 37 years all the soft furnishings are pretty much on the point of collapse.
All the interior will be coming out so I though a rebuild thread might keep a few entertained over the winter.

Here she is:
Z6h6hXk.jpg

FkNHPB0.jpg

3pYAt63.jpg

iWyAVTr.jpg

kashurst

Visit site
Wow an old twin cab , ive had 2 of them in past years , great boats .
Are you keeping her in York ?
Yes she will be at York for a while. At the moment she is at Acaster Marine on the other side of the river on the hard.
Engines and outdrives were all properly serviced a few months back. It was surveyed earlier this week. Wasn't expecting much to work as its 37 years old.
Engines started immediately from cold. In out of gear all well. Then tried all the electrical stuff and much to the surveyors amazement and mine, everything worked!!

Croftie

Visit site
I was on the hard late 2021 - early 2022 next to her, was being used as a live aboard for most if not all 2022

Portofino

Visit site
Congratulations looks nice .
We lunch @ Naburn now and again when in the U.K. I will be watching out for it .
Seems like a sensible idea / project / toehold on boating .
It crosses my mind the hassle free ness of the upper ( Yorkshire) Ouse every time we go there .

A a kid spent many a happy WE on the parents boats there cruising up to Nun Moncton .

Petrols make perfect sense btw .

Bouba

Visit site
Very nice.....the cabinetry looks like it still has its original gloss...that’s important because they are so difficult to repair....that helm seat should be kept...a real conversation starter
Well done👍 nothing like messing around in a river

stelican

Visit site
See it has the mark 1 lower helmseat (fully adjustable)
See it also has had quite a bit of burr woodwork added.
Have you noticed engines are suspended off transom shields.(standard)
We sold one with twin 270hp petrols and through transom exhausts.

Chris H

Visit site
Congratulations looks nice .
We lunch @ Naburn now and again when in the U.K. I will be watching out for it .
Seems like a sensible idea / project / toehold on boating .
It crosses my mind the hassle free ness of the upper ( Yorkshire) Ouse every time we go there .

A a kid spent many a happy WE on the parents boats there cruising up to Nun Moncton .

Petrols make perfect sense btw .
My parents, I was a bit young, used to water ski from the locks @ Naburn, until the speed limit Was introduced.

oldgit

Visit site
Good interior condition after nearly 40 years and a testament to the build of mass produced boats of the period, doubt that todays equivalents will be looking that good
Interesting to know how many hours on the engines and how much it would had cost new compared to a similar boat today.

dunedin

Visit site
……….
All the interior will be coming out so I thought a rebuild thread might keep a few entertained over the winter.
………..
Oh no ! Haven’t we heard lots of stories before about “I stripped the entire interior out”, but many fewer stories of “and put the interior back together”!
Launch it quick and start using it before this sickness (“project think”) takes root.

Freebee

Visit site
The big weakness on those engines is cylinder head exhaust port failure at the rear most exhaust port, ali head with steel insert in the outlet corrodes and head gets damaged, can be fixed by welding or head replacement.

Mr Googler

Visit site
Oh no ! Haven’t we heard lots of stories before about “I stripped the entire interior out”, but many fewer stories of “and put the interior back together”!
Launch it quick and start using it before this sickness (“project think”) takes root.
Mr K will never fall foul of that! He is a seasoned hand