Bought another boat.

kashurst

Visit site
Oh no ! Haven’t we heard lots of stories before about “I stripped the entire interior out”, but many fewer stories of “and put the interior back together”!
Launch it quick and start using it before this sickness (“project think”) takes root.
Don't worry, I have form on this sort of thing. I have done it before. I will be taking the interior apart very carefully and reusing the majority of the wood panels either as is or as templates for modified versions etc. The main bulkhead is staying exactly where it is. But the mattress is well beyond saving.
This week all the ceiling and wall linings will be coming out of the forward cabin. I want to see how much space above the intended panel height there is then I can select light fittings.

Then it will be a reconstruction of the galley. The existing galley design is a little odd, the cooker is quite high and the small fridge is on the floor.
Then the bathroom, and finally the main saloon. So I will be working my way out of the boat.
The goal over the winter is to create the new ceiling support structure and panels, do all the structural woodwork in the the galley and bathroom and clean up the wall panels that are to be reused. Once the weather warms up again I will start doing the painting and glue all the foam backed foam on. I will have to get a few of the future copies of MBY to see what colours and fabrics are in vogue for inspiration.

The boat has an Eberspacher heater fitted with a separate diesel tank. Every Eberspacher I have had (5) has been a dismal failure. I can't decide if I should test it in situ, or just cut out all the disapointment and frustration trying to get it to work and just bin it immediately. Any bets that this one will actually work?

Last edited:

Seastoke

Visit site
We have just cut new mattresses using simba ones easy to cut , used old one as template and got local curtain shop to make zipped covers for them ,perfect.

Bigplumbs

Visit site
The boat has an Eberspacher heater fitted with a separate diesel tank. Every Eberspacher I have had (5) has been a dismal failure. I can't decide if I should test it in situ, or just cut out all the disapointment and frustration trying to get it to work and just bin it immediately. Any bets that this one will actually work?
I will say this only once. Only £100 now

chinese diesel heater 8kw for sale | eBay

Portofino

Visit site
I will say this only once. Only £100 now

chinese diesel heater 8kw for sale | eBay
Touchy subject @ York .

Report on carbon monoxide poisoning of two friends in York – learn the lessons from this repeated story | Boat Safety Scheme | Go Boating - Stay Safe.

I would be inclined to find a small diesel geny , add extra sound proofing and beef up the mounts ( from a NVH pov ) and go full electric . Working on the safety of a water cooled elbow / short Vetus run exhaust pipe out .Obviously CO alarms etc , that’s a given .
There looked to be space in the ER ?

De gassing the boat as well .

Deepest winter with flooding river levels is pretty miserable there anyhow .

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Touchy subject @ York .

Report on carbon monoxide poisoning of two friends in York – learn the lessons from this repeated story | Boat Safety Scheme | Go Boating - Stay Safe.

I would be inclined to find a small diesel geny , add extra sound proofing and beef up the mounts ( from a NVH pov ) and go full electric . Working on the safety of a water cooled elbow / short Vetus run exhaust pipe out .Obviously CO alarms etc , that’s a given .
There looked to be space in the ER ?

De gassing the boat as well .

Deepest winter with flooding river levels is pretty miserable there anyhow .
Still burning diesel in a geny. Anyway lets not detract from this thread and the rebuild

kashurst

Visit site
Busy two days. Gutted the main bedroom. Just finished most of the sanding to remove pretty much all the old glue and ichyyness.:
Before - it looks OK but it was all very sticky, damp and tired
cmZPxKF.jpg

removed all the vinyl, panels etc yesterday and it looked pretty poor, a lot of damp accumulated under the pelments, horizontal panels and the like. Took about 4 hours

tTYzg2T.jpg

Now it already smells a lot better. The glue was well stuck. Had to use an angle grinder and a dronko disc to get it off. Went through the very thin gel coat in places but it doesnt matter. Still have to do around the curved upper level. So far this took about 3 hours but it took me nearly an hour extra to sweep and clean up.

dXnEpHp.jpg

The pelmets, mattress suround and a few other bits are now safely tucked up in the garage waiting to be stripped, sanded and preped for new finishes. An Ebay £100 diesel heater is on its way. A neighbour bought one to heat his garage and it works really well. Which is what I will be doing with it so I can do stuff over the winter. If it proves suitably reliable it will probably be re-homed into the boat.

Last edited:

kashurst

Visit site
What colour scheme are you doing?
not sure yet. The foam vinyl linings will be either Toomer and Hayter white or possibly oyster. I need to send of for some samples.
I fancy a Scandinavian fairly minimal feel. Thinking pale coloured work tops and cupboard tops to reflect light, with a rich wood (mahogany or possibly wenge) for cupboards. There aren't very many cupboards so I think it won't be over powering.
Any other suggestions welcome.

Seastoke

Visit site
not sure yet. The foam vinyl linings will be either Toomer and Hayter white or possibly oyster. I need to send of for some samples.
I fancy a Scandinavian fairly minimal feel. Thinking pale coloured work tops and cupboard tops to reflect light, with a rich wood (mahogany or possibly wenge) for cupboards. There aren't very many cupboards so I think it won't be over powering.
Any other suggestions welcome.
Watch out Mr G has got 200 rolls of grey to sell , he has finished his caravan now.

benjenbav

Visit site
I’m very much in awe of the approach you’re taking, K. It’ll be a beaut when you’ve finished.

Quick question, isn’t it a pretty toxic working environment stripping all that degraded foam etc in a confined space?

kashurst

Visit site
I’m very much in awe of the approach you’re taking, K. It’ll be a beaut when you’ve finished.

Quick question, isn’t it a pretty toxic working environment stripping all that degraded foam etc in a confined space?
Not as bad as you might expect, mainly because the foan has essentially turned to yellow powder. Sanding the glue off, created a LOT of dust as it took some of the gel coat with it. It was like being inside a snow globe. I was wearning a good dust mask and googles, but when I came out for a break I looked like the abominable snowman.

kashurst

Visit site
Another boat day today. Finally finished sanding off all the old glue in the bedroom. Fingers crossed that's the worst of the sanding over with.
The boat yard people have done all the odds and sods to get it a boat safety certificate. Nothing serious, a few more clips on gas pipes, fuel tank breather hose needed rearranging, lack of labels on the fuel fillers and a new one on me, a bilge pump filter to prevent oils getting in the water.
Meanwhile I started building the frame in the bedroom roof for the new suspended paneled ceiling and sliding shutter for the houdini hatch.
Sorry no more pics just yet as it doesn't look a lot different

Bouba

Visit site
Another boat day today. Finally finished sanding off all the old glue in the bedroom. Fingers crossed that's the worst of the sanding over with.
The boat yard people have done all the odds and sods to get it a boat safety certificate. Nothing serious, a few more clips on gas pipes, fuel tank breather hose needed rearranging, lack of labels on the fuel fillers and a new one on me, a bilge pump filter to prevent oils getting in the water.
Meanwhile I started building the frame in the bedroom roof for the new suspended paneled ceiling and sliding shutter for the houdini hatch.
Sorry no more pics just yet as it doesn't look a lot different
You are a fast worker 👍

kashurst

Visit site
Busy weekend. The bedroom ceiling supports are in and the roof panels cut to close fit. And we have lights! LED 4000K 3W in polished chrome fittings
half of the panels in showing the support frame. The frame is screwed and glued to the coach roof with a polyurethane glue. The glue is very good.

OdnEYuw.jpg

All the panels in and lights on. Wating for Toomer and Hayter to send some foam backed vinyl samples so I can make a few test panels to determine how much to shrink the close fitting ceiling panels by. Right now they all pretty much touch each other so I need to make clearance for the vinyl foam going around the edges.

m67VU9q.jpg

The super sharp eyed will notice the starboard pelmet is 1" lower than the port pelmet. It was made like that. A jigsaw will correct that.
I discovered I have a little problem. There is a Jack & Jill door from the bedroom into the bathroom. The door just hits the new ceiling as it is 40mm lower than before. I can raise the ceiling height a bit where it hits and lower the door a bit and all will be well (I think)

I have pulled the built in wardrobe to bits and most of the galley apart now. Not surprisingly the fridge is knackered. Surprisingly there is a big space exposed for a bigger new one ;-)

Other threads that may be of interest