Bought a Never splashed Colvic Countess 33 on eBay, Looking for infos

GregOddity

Mermaid hunting in Antartica. No luck so far.
Visit site
Great thread, good to see the project developing, loving your pictures and posts

Thank you, I should have done it sooner. Were having a great time at the “office”. It’s good for the soul and lifts the spirit to see something take shape that is going to carry us to distant locations. Even cleaning the “sludge “of 30 years on the bilge was interesting. (but less likable)

GregOddity

Visit site
Update!

After spending some time deep in the Hull of oddity pondering on the dialectics of jam over cream or cream over jam, I decided to go the American way and just apply peanut butter and jam on my scone. Having spilt my coffee and in no rush to go down and get a new one I spent the rest of the day inspecting all the holes I could find on the hull for signs of delamination. They all seem amazingly fresh and fine, which comes as something of a nice surprise. We did find some areas that show some damage on the outside, seems that something crashed against the side of the boat damaging a small area around the toe rail in the stern of the boat. Nothing major but does need looking at.
The encapsulated keel has a hole that was drilled into it for some reason at some stage. No idea why, my guess is that it was an attempt at letting the water escape. Good news is that the inside and outside seem in rather good condition.
Now we get a skip to dispose of the interior and as soon as that’s done we get a surveyor in for a first survey.

The BIG question now is WEST MARINE ?? or some other supplier? What’s the consensus on the forum for filler, gelcoat etc?

davidej

Visit site
Re: Update!

Wont you do most of the bonding in polyester rather than epoxy resin ? I think West only supply the latter while ECF will have both.
Polyester is of course much cheaper and is what the hull is made with.

PhilOddity

Visit site

Thank you forr all the advice everyone. Being completely new to all this my eyes tend to glaze over more often than not when im trying to understand all this info. Im looking forward to getting experience with Resin and fibreglass. My only hope is that I dont bond myself to the hull in the process. I have been looking at Videos on Youtube to help me along. there are still bits that are lost on me though.

Muddy Boat

Visit site

The BIG question now is WEST MARINE ?? or some other supplier? What’s the consensus on the forum for filler, gelcoat etc?

Was going to propose Reactive Resins as they had a fantastic range of great value quality products, but seem to have gone into liquidation :( (anyone know whether they are reincarnating?) . Matrix Composites are good for glass, cores etc.

lpdsn

Visit site

Other than wanting to know if the hull is sound before investing millions in the rest of the build, is there a need for a survey? You'll need another one to get insurance after the boat is completed anyway.

If it is a matter of looking for de-lamination just get a larger socket from your socket set and gently tap the hull in, say, a 3" grid yourself. Any de-lamination of the hull will be obvious.

You'll know the lower hull will be wet from all the water sitting inside, so no need to pay a surveyor to tell you that, but once dried inside it should dry out ok during the summer if you don't seal the water in.

Check to see if the deck is squishy, especially around any screw holes etc. If not heavy enough yourself recruit an 18 stone friend to walk around on deck.

If you do go for a survey, let the surveyor know it is a bare hull and deck and negotiate the price accordingly. Most surveys cover an awful lot more.

GregOddity

Visit site

Are you spending money on a survey from choice or is there some need to have one done?

No need, but we decided that spending the money to have an accurate and independent opinion of what we think is probably going to result in greater savings in the long run. It appears to us that the hull, is in generally good condition, there are some osmosis blisters from sweet water pooling inside the hull (not a worry) there are also areas on deck with small blisters. Not much but to be expected on any vessel built in the 80's. The rudder which is off course new, has some discoloration inside that may be due to rain water ingress on a very small area under the half skeg just behind the rudder post. The keel seems in order as no expansion from oxidation is visible anywhere, to be seen is a metal plate through a hole on the fiberglass covering of the keel. Also seems in good condition. My fear is by not doing the survey and just "assuming" based on my experience of composite materials will lead me to not see something that needs addressing at this stage. If that fails then addressing it at a later stage becomes an expensive oversight and mistake.
Delamination is something that occurs with osmosis, and while not being difficult to handle, I want to make sure we have none and if we do then address it as when we peel the hull for the osmosis treatment.

GregOddity

Visit site

Was going to propose Reactive Resins as they had a fantastic range of great value quality products, but seem to have gone into liquidation :( (anyone know whether they are reincarnating?) . Matrix Composites are good for glass, cores etc.

Matrix Composites sells some stuff that I like, still looking for a few more dont mind trying new stuff.

Not personal observation, but others have suggested that the West resins are susceptible to "amine blush".

I have heard from the amine blush problem on moist environments, not something I can discount on account on how we are doing the boat. I think it can be solved with peel ply or hard grinded with diamond dicks but involves a bit of rubber grinding to de clog the disc. I rather avoid it if I can. Good point.

PhilOddity

Visit site

Check to see if the deck is squishy, especially around any screw holes etc. If not heavy enough yourself recruit an 18 stone friend to walk around on deck.

Well Greg has me Trudging around on deck and i tip the scales at 147Kgs (23 st)..... its a good job i've lost 50kgs (7 st) or I think there would be much bigger "Phil Shaped" holes on deck. So far no squishy bits.

lpdsn

Visit site

Delamination is something that occurs with osmosis, and while not being difficult to handle, I want to make sure we have none and if we do then address it as when we peel the hull for the osmosis treatment.

Of course getting a brand new hull might be cheaper than peeling the old one. :)

GregOddity

Visit site

Other than wanting to know if the hull is sound before investing millions in the rest of the build, is there a need for a survey? You'll need another one to get insurance after the boat is completed anyway.

If it is a matter of looking for de-lamination just get a larger socket from your socket set and gently tap the hull in, say, a 3" grid yourself. Any de-lamination of the hull will be obvious.

You'll know the lower hull will be wet from all the water sitting inside, so no need to pay a surveyor to tell you that, but once dried inside it should dry out ok during the summer if you don't seal the water in.

If you do go for a survey, let the surveyor know it is a bare hull and deck and negotiate the price accordingly. Most surveys cover an awful lot more.

We spoke to one that is making a survey in 2 parts for us, a primary inspection of the hull, then when the build is finished a final inspection of the vessel prior to splashing. It’s an “acceptable” price for the all thing. We did check for referrals from a few people that used him before and were able to negotiate a “special” deal since its basically a bare hull to start with.

lpdsn

Visit site

We spoke to one that is making a survey in 2 parts for us, a primary inspection of the hull, then when the build is finished a final inspection of the vessel prior to splashing. It’s an “acceptable” price for the all thing. We did check for referrals from a few people that used him before and were able to negotiate a “special” deal since its basically a bare hull to start with.

Sounds good.

GregOddity

Visit site

Of course getting a brand new hull might be cheaper than peeling the old one. :)

hehe NOPE. I have all the tools for peeling and vacuum drying of the hull. My fear is that my vacuum pump (High Industrial Vacuum) (it evaporates water so fast by sublimation that the water freezes in a matter of minutes) will suck the hull through the pipes and I end up with a crushed hull the size of a pea. I’m going to have to apply a reduction and splice it for a few hot silicone mats.

lpdsn

Visit site

My fear is that my vacuum pump (High Industrial Vacuum) (it evaporates water so fast by sublimation that the water freezes in a matter of minutes) will suck the hull through the pipes and I end up with a crushed hull the size of a pea.

If that happens think of it less as a lost boat and more the start of a boat disposal business venture.

I believe it does take a while for the water molecules to migrate to the surface when drying a hull, so a quick suck won't solve the problem first go.