Bought a Never splashed Colvic Countess 33 on eBay, Looking for infos

GregOddity

Mermaid hunting in Antartica. No luck so far.
Visit site
When you get some prices from Bristol-based Robbins Timber, you could with profit compare with price offerings from Avon Plywood.... just on the other side of Briz'l.
www.avonply.co.uk/‎

They don't have such a flash product catalogue, nor do they take a stand at all the boat shows, but you might be pleasantly surprised at their knowledge and service. Did I mention prices....?

Should the link be to avonplywood.co.uk. ?[/QUOTE]

yeah it seems so http://avonplywood.co.uk/ I tried that anyway

Keith 66

Visit site
You will need a mortgage if using Brynzeel ply, make sure you are sitting down when you enquire, think Timbmet (again) are stockists.
Re windows, standard alloy windows, If the frames are not corroded you can reseal them or have it done. Butyl rubber sealant is usual, Dont fit them with sikaflex as when they leak you wont get them out again without damaging frame or gelcoat.
Technautic marine windows at Burnham made new ones for my Sabre 27, Cost for the 6 was nearly a grand 9 years ago and that was paying pound notes, they are a big spend.

GregOddity

Visit site
You will need a mortgage if using Brynzeel ply, make sure you are sitting down when you enquire, think Timbmet (again) are stockists.
Re windows, standard alloy windows, If the frames are not corroded you can reseal them or have it done. Butyl rubber sealant is usual, Dont fit them with sikaflex as when they leak you wont get them out again without damaging frame or gelcoat.
Technautic marine windows at Burnham made new ones for my Sabre 27, Cost for the 6 was nearly a grand 9 years ago and that was paying pound notes, they are a big spend.

The frames are finally coming out today. On the outside they look ok no corrosion to be seen so I’m hoping they going to be salvageable. Funny you should say that about sicaflex. I just saw a video of a poor dude removing sicaflexed windows from his boat. Interesting. They were cut off and hacked out including a lot of gel coat and fiberglass. Good point.

on the subject of the quotes for mats, I have a very safe procedure that I follow religiously: I sit down in a very sturdy chair, hold both armchairs with my hands, breathe deeply 3 times then open the quotes. I managed to avoid a heart attack so far. I did get a price for stainless screws meant for the Space Station by mistake I think, the price was stratospheric. But they were using special magical 316 MARINE grade.

Keith 66

Visit site
It is called marine grade for a reason, 316 or A4 as its called now will last a long time, some 304 grade or A2 which is normal commercial grade will rust & some will last little longer than mild steel. I used some A2 from our local chandlers on deck last year & they rusted badly in just one season, Its false economy to use them anywhere where sea water will get them wet. Try Anglia Stainless or AJ fasteners Benfleet. Good prices.

GregOddity

Visit site
It is called marine grade for a reason, 316 or A4 as its called now will last a long time, some 304 grade or A2 which is normal commercial grade will rust & some will last little longer than mild steel. I used some A2 from our local chandlers on deck last year & they rusted badly in just one season, Its false economy to use them anywhere where sea water will get them wet. Try Anglia Stainless or AJ fasteners Benfleet. Good prices.

I'm sorry I was just being Ironic on the use of the word Marine and charging a premium. 316 Stainless is 316 theres is no change if you add the word Marine as some do to charge a premium. Thanks for the contact, going into our spreadsheet of suppliers.. its amazing how many little things you need on a boat.

GregOddity

Visit site
And so, it begins in earnest, today we managed to take the first window to see how damaged and difficult it would be. It was not as bad as expected. The hatches (doors?) to the chain and anchor locker also removed so they can be repaired as the Ply turned to mush. And the interior swimming pool emptied. We also managed to copy the first layout of a Colvic Countess set of plans as a test. Came out perfect and it solves the problem of having nothing on the boat.
10042181.jpg10042182.jpg10042183.jpg10042184.jpg10042189.jpg

ghostlymoron

Visit site
When you get around to refitting the windows, please don't be tempted to use sikafkex 291 or anything with the word 'adhesive" in the description. The frames don't need gluing in place, the screws hold them in. Use butyl rubber tape instead, it makes subsequent removal much easier. Likewise, use a rubber gasket to seal the glass into the frames for the same reason. Sealsdirect is a good source for these.

davidej

Visit site
When you get around to refitting the windows, please don't be tempted to use sikafkex 291 or anything with the word 'adhesive" in the description. The frames don't need gluing in place, the screws hold them in. Use butyl rubber tape instead, it makes subsequent removal much easier. Likewise, use a rubber gasket to seal the glass into the frames for the same reason. Sealsdirect is a good source for these.

+1

GregOddity

Visit site

I'm just staring at the rubber gasket and trying to figure out how to make a new one and where to get the mats before I take all the others down. But I hear you. and noted. I do not want to use a grinder or an axe next time we have a small leak.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
I'm just staring at the rubber gasket and trying to figure out how to make a new one and where to get the mats before I take all the others down. But I hear you. and noted. I do not want to use a grinder or an axe next time we have a small leak.

You could use butyl tape to make the gasket.

GregOddity

Visit site
And another wonderful day Sailing, The water was perfect the winds just right and even the mournful seagulls sounded cheerful with the appearance from the sun. But we saw none of that deep in the bowels of Oddity hacking away at the rotten ply and mush of 30 years of abandon.
The Pile outside is growing at an alarming rate, but at the same time showing me how much personal luggage my wife can bring aboard.
We gutted and gutted carefully accessing her state and must admit she looks surprisingly well above my expectations.
Tomorrow we hope to have her hull bare.
And Yes… we did cut a bulkhead. For a start !
1104181.jpg1104183.jpg1104184.jpg1104187.jpg1104189.jpg11041810.jpg11041816.jpg

zoidberg

Visit site
When you get some prices from Bristol-based Robbins Timber, you could with profit compare with price offerings from Avon Plywood.... just on the other side of Briz'l.
www.avonply.co.uk/‎

They don't have such a flash product catalogue, nor do they take a stand at all the boat shows, but you might be pleasantly surprised at their knowledge and service. Did I mention prices....?

Should the link be to avonplywood.co.uk. ?[/QUOTE]

Oh, mybad! You're quite right. It is, of course, [url]www.avonplywood.co.uk/[/URL]

'Pologies for finger trouble....

They have stocks of very fine and very flexible 'aircraft grade' Finnish ply, some of which I shall certainly use. Their soon-retiring craftsman 'Chris' is a fount of knowledge on all things wood.

Last edited:

Keith 66

Visit site
Looking at those photos, once you have cut out all the rotten ply it might pay you to tank cut a decent hole at the lowest point & pressure wash the inside, or even wet sand blast, that would save you a mile of grinding the hull clean.

GregOddity

Visit site
Looking at those photos, once you have cut out all the rotten ply it might pay you to tank cut a decent hole at the lowest point & pressure wash the inside, or even wet sand blast, that would save you a mile of grinding the hull clean.

the yard did the favour of supplying a hole fairly low on the hull to allow trapped water to escape. I’m thinking of blasting. Not sure if I go with soda or dry ice, But pondering...its a hell of a lot of sanding yes.

GregOddity

Visit site
Soda or dry ice will clean the hull but will be of little use for bonding to, you need it sanded clean so the surface is roughed up.

Which means sand blasting...I know and I've seen great results with both soda and dry ice on the outside. To be honest on the inside I never seen it done. But you make a fine point, there’s a lot of bonding needed and I got 30 years of everything, from mould to old paint and smudges I don’t even want to know what they are made off.

GregOddity

Visit site
Today was a fine Sailors day, we begun the day by boarding our vessel with perfect weather again, something rare I might add, we had a complementary coffee in the Luxury Paper cups from Costa on the cockpit, after which we decided to go diving…. into Oddity innards where we descended back in time (1986 on the Sun Edition plastered on the bulkhead).
We finally got most of it out and dismantled the forward cabin with Gusto and cleaned most of the old tools and undefined stuff found on the engine compartment space. Even managing the clear out of the aft cabin.
Tomorrow we go sailing in the vast Ocean of trash we have to dispose of. (someone in need of almost new plywood?) ( there may be a smidge of water here and there)
1204181.jpg1204182.jpg1204183.jpg1204184.jpg1204185.jpg1204186.jpg1204187.jpg