A neat fix to stop water ingress from halyard slots beneath the sprayhood.

Concerto

Visit site
Just spent most of today creating a fix for a problem I have on my Westerly Fulmar and may be other boats have a similar problem. In very rough weather when green water crashes on the coachroof, it forces it way through the halyard slots in the wooden spray rail to which the sprayhood is fixed. This should not be a problem but Concerto is slightly bow down due to the engine being changed to a lighter one and I sail singlehanded. So when water gets under the spray hood, it does not run aft into the cockpit but forward along the main hatch rails and under the hatch box. It should just drain out on the lee side, but it does not. It enters the cabin onto the back of the headlining boards and then drips out along the joins. Somedays when there is a lot of water, lots of things including the cushions get damp.

The photographs show the halyard slots and how I have sealed them to stop at least 90+ % of this water entering the cabin. I had some 1mm sheet rubber left over from a rubber roof I fitted to a shed. For extra security I used a double layer. I accurately measured where the holes were required for the ropes. This was drawn on some over size rubber and then I cut holes using hollow steel punches the diameter of the ropes. As the spray rail is not at right angles to the rope, I had to elongate the holes sideways to accomodate this by using the cutter. On the port side, a slot was then cut to the bottom of the rubber so it can be fitted over the ropes. The front rubber was cut on the right side of the hole and the back rubber was cut on the left side of the hole. To secure the rubber I used some thin brass strip 10mm wide at the top and bottom. This was cut to length and drilled to ensure the rubber was securely held with brass screws. On the starboard side I decided to cut away the rubber under the holes as the brass strip covered the missing section.

The whole job was very fiddly and time consuming taking about 6 hours in total, but looks very neat and should solve the problem.

IMG_4984 1000pix.jpg
The port side halyard slot.

IMG_4985 1000pix.jpg
The starboard side halyard slot with 2 additional holes.

IMG_4986 1000pix.jpg
Marking out the rubber.

IMG_4990 1000pix.jpg
Ready to fix to the port side.

IMG_4992 1000pix.jpg
Ready to fit to starboard, but all of the lines touched the brass strip except the 2 through the holes which were slightly lower, hence the dip in the top of the lower strip.

IMG_4991 1000pix.jpg
Port side finished.

IMG_4993 1000pix.jpg
Starboard side finished.

Concerto

Visit site
Srewheads don't line up :devilish: :devilish: :unsure:
Have you tried drilling into teak 5mm from the deck? The screwheads were as close to aligned as I could get them, but as I only had countersunk screws they were fitted at a slight angle and makes them look out of alignment. They pass the 3ft rule, if you do not notice at 3ft, then it does not matter as the whole job looks good. I failed to mention that I finished at 20.40 and had not eaten for over 9 hours.

Concerto

Visit site
Neat solution but what is stopping the water exiting from the designed sluices under the hatch box ? Is it the head down trim ? If so, then adjusting the trim will also benefit the boat speed.
The final part I am planning is having to wait. The gap that allows the water to run under the hatchbox is going to have a rubber seal added, but it was getting very late and I was getting hungry and cold. The temperature had dropped from about 15C to 11C, there is no heat wave this far north in the Orkney Islands. Today I have another urgent fix to tackle. More details are in this thread.
Round Britain day 43

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
Neat solution but what is stopping the water exiting from the designed sluices under the hatch box ? Is it the head down trim ? If so, then adjusting the trim will also benefit the boat speed.
+1. My first thought, when reading the OP was to think of adding some ballast aft, to compensate for the loss of engine weight.
The boat's current bow- down trim will probably add a small amount of speed, due to the reduction of drag under the transom, but will contribute to difficulty in tacking, particularly when boat speed is marginal.
If a spinnaker is used, it will push the bow down even further, lifting the rudder further out of the water and possibly causing a loss of rudder authority.
Your modification is a great idea though. I wil certainly incorporate it when I eventualy fit a sprayhood.

Last edited: