Raystar 125 looses Fix

watercraft

Visit site
Hi I could do with a bit of advice. I have a Raymarine E80 chart and autohelm etc all on the old Seatalk network. The raystar 125 GPS receiver has always been a bit slow getting a fix on first boot up but yesterday it kept loosing its fix and only showing 1 one satellite. The boat is based at Gosport opposite the Royal Navy docks where there may be electronic jamming stuff being used? My daughter whilst using her mobile phone yesterday shopping said her phone wouldn’t fix to use the mapping either.

The reason I’m posting is that the GPS has been fine once leaving the Marina and Portsmouth so I’ve not been able to diagnose anything. Is this a known problem or an indicator to a likely failure or am I being a bit stupid? Also if I was to replace I would need a replacement that uses the Seatalk coms network any suggestions?

Thanks
John

jwilson

Visit site
Have you changed the little coin battery in it? Common to have very slow fix acquisition if that is flat.

watercraft

Visit site
Have you changed the little coin battery in it? Common to have very slow fix acquisition if that is flat.
Yes renewed a couple of years ago. It was strange as it obtained a fix and it was fine for 15minutes then out of the blue lost the fix whilst sat in our berth. I just started the system again all good this morning.

ashtead

Visit site
I had read somewhere these 125 raystar pack up after 8 or so years? How old is it ? If you are near Haslar marina there is an electronics man there if you can get hold of him in one of units by car park .

jwilson

Visit site
Mine is maybe 14-15 years old, on 3rd coin battery. Still working, or was last week - touching wood.

DipperToo

Visit site
I had read somewhere these 125 raystar pack up after 8 or so years? How old is it ? If you are near Haslar marina there is an electronics man there if you can get hold of him in one of units by car park .
I think that a year ago the 125 was affected by a GPS date rollover and it will have reverted to some very old date. Although the position fix should be OK, don't rely on it for anything date related such as tidal streams etc which will be shown incorrectly on your plotter.

Reactions: vas