Yanmar dipstick thread broken

garymalmgren

Visit site
Clean surfaces with solvent.
Sand surfaces.
Glue together with epoxy or superglue.
Drill two or three 3 mm (or 3.2mm) holes as shown.
Drive in 3mm bronzing rod or aluminum roddipstick.jpg.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Could this be epoxied and make a decent repair, bearing in mind the force to do up and undo ?
Mine failed in exactly the same place years ago. The plastic seemed soft and had absorbed oil, making an adhesive pretty much out of the question. I managed to drill through the top and get two self-tappers into the thread section. Still going strong.

Refueler

Visit site
Dip sticks .....

My Perkins 4-107 has a long extended tube rising up from engine block. The dipstick then through the tube into the sump. With the engine slight movement - the top of the tube was very close to engine box sides and eventually after years of knocking sides - it cracked at the base where entering the block.

I unscrewed the tube nut holding the tube in place and was surprised to see that it does not extend to bottom of sump but only about 3 or 4" of stub into the block. The dipstick is basically free then down into sump.

I went to local hardware store with the pieces - hoping I could get tube matching to then replace the correct length ... but size was as usual not there. What to do ? The exterior part was only a few mm proud of the nut ... while inner tube was 3 or 4" long ...
Hardware store had tube that was an interference fit to the original .. so I bought a length + tubes of Heat Proof Epoxy as used on exhausts etc ..

I turned the original tube around so the 3 - 4" was now external ... cleaned it all up and then epoxied a length of new tube over it ... which was cut approx to required length.
It did not matter that now the internal block part of tube was shorter ..

Its been that way now for near 20yrs .....

GEM43

Visit site
Dipsticks - my BMW doesn’t have one. It’s a complete PITA to press a load of buttons and do this, that & the other to get an oil check. Bring back dipsticks :(

Refueler

Visit site
Dipsticks - my BMW doesn’t have one. It’s a complete PITA to press a load of buttons and do this, that & the other to get an oil check. Bring back dipsticks :(

Range Rover is without as well ... I have to sit for 15mins etc etc before I can call up dash info on oil level.
To change the engine oil - its sucked out via the tube - that looks like a dipstick tube !

Refueler

Visit site
How can that be progress? It's madness!

Many of todays cars are like it now ... maybe someone doesn't like to get hands a bit mucky pulling / wiping a dipstick ??

Here ye go :

How to check oil level on Range Rover L322 - Google Suche

A memory just went through my head .... many years ago as a teenager - I had a 'casual labour' job at a Shell Petrol Station near our house in Sussex. When detailed to Forecourt duty - we were expected to help anyone with pump .. and to check the oil ... as most cars could get another small bottle of oil in .. with more profit on that bottle of oil than the few gallons of petrol put in tank ...

Last edited:

Halo

Visit site
The lack of dipstick is a result of it being redundant in most cars. Most people never check oil , tyre pressure, tread, etc. New cars tell you when to put in oil.

Talulah

Visit site
I suspect everyone with a Yanmar at some point has experienced the broken dip stick problem.
After replacing a couple I refused to buy any more replacements.
I no longer have the dip stick but use a gokart oil cap which has a breather. Search eBay for gokart oil cap. To check the oil level I just shine a torch down the fill hole.

Alicatt

Visit site
Dip sticks .....

My Perkins 4-107 has a long extended tube rising up from engine block. The dipstick then through the tube into the sump. With the engine slight movement - the top of the tube was very close to engine box sides and eventually after years of knocking sides - it cracked at the base where entering the block.

I unscrewed the tube nut holding the tube in place and was surprised to see that it does not extend to bottom of sump but only about 3 or 4" of stub into the block. The dipstick is basically free then down into sump.

I went to local hardware store with the pieces - hoping I could get tube matching to then replace the correct length ... but size was as usual not there. What to do ? The exterior part was only a few mm proud of the nut ... while inner tube was 3 or 4" long ...
Hardware store had tube that was an interference fit to the original .. so I bought a length + tubes of Heat Proof Epoxy as used on exhausts etc ..

I turned the original tube around so the 3 - 4" was now external ... cleaned it all up and then epoxied a length of new tube over it ... which was cut approx to required length.
It did not matter that now the internal block part of tube was shorter ..

Its been that way now for near 20yrs .....
My twin 1978 Perkins HT6354M have 2 sumps each, the engine manual says to check the oil after the engine has run for at least 2minutes so the oil gets up to the upper sump as that is where the dipstick is, they also recommend that you get a more accurate level if the engine is ticking over, as the oil drains back down to the lower sump. 1960s technology :)
Dipstick is not very long and welded on to a threaded rod, looks original and exact same on both engines.

cherod

Visit site
My twin 1978 Perkins HT6354M have 2 sumps each, the engine manual says to check the oil after the engine has run for at least 2minutes so the oil gets up to the upper sump as that is where the dipstick is, they also recommend that you get a more accurate level if the engine is ticking over, as the oil drains back down to the lower sump. 1960s technology :)
Dipstick is not very long and welded on to a threaded rod, looks original and exact same on both engines.
My , gm10 , has a rubber seal , never breaks never comes out , get one of them and adjust length to suit , job done 👍

cherod

Visit site
The dipsticks have been in the engine for 46 years, they work and seal, I have no complaints about them, just they look a bit home made :)
They show the same construction in the manual
I beg your pardon , that post was supposed to be to the OP not you , not sure how that happened , so sor 👍

jaminb

Visit site
I cant see the oil level on my Yanmar dipstick. I have a carefully calibrated chopstick to check the oil level. The dipstick is used just to cover the hole.