Yanmar dipstick thread broken

cherod

Visit site
I have same problem on my PRM box ... the metal dipstick is hard to tell level ...
I have this same prob w my fuel tanks dip sticks ( no guages 😩 ) but it is easy just to lay a piece of blue paper roll towel flat and put the dipstick onto it , it shows up very clearly 👍

Refueler

Visit site
I have this same prob w my fuel tanks dip sticks ( no guages 😩 ) but it is easy just to lay a piece of blue paper roll towel flat and put the dipstick onto it , it shows up very clearly 👍

Chalk ...

Its an old Surveyors trick ... rub chalk on the dipstick ... dip - remove - look before it evaporates ..

Another is to paint stick with matt black chalk-board paint ...

Any stiff armoured mains cable with the black outer insulation cover ? That is good ..

My two tanks on my Primor MoBo - no gauges - so that's dipsticks.

My SR25 sailboat has a gauge and display - but when filling - I always play safe with dispstick ... being diesel it shows quite well on the old stick ... I have a white tape on the underside of the bunk board covering the tank ... which is marked off in 10ltr steps .. hold stick up to it .. direct read off.

DinghyMan

www.ff-systems.co.uk
You can probably use an aluminium drain plug, M18 x 1.5, similar to M18 x 1.5 Ally Drain Plug.png to do a DIY repair

Out of interest could you measure the stick part of the dipstick and post up the dimensions, I may look into making some sensible priced replacements

noelex

Visit site
I have same problem on my PRM box ... the metal dipstick is hard to tell level ...
It is a common problem. I use a thin clear plastic tube about the size of drinking straw. Put this in the gearbox to same depth as the original dipstick. Then you put your finger on the outer end, forming a seal. When you withdraw the tube the gearbox oil will remain and the level can be easily seen.

Refueler

Visit site
It is a common problem. I use a thin clear plastic tube about the size of drinking straw. Put this in the gearbox to same depth as the original dipstick. The you put your finger on the outer end, forming a seal. When you withdraw the tube the gearbox oil will remain and the level can be easily seen.

The other way of course is to be as bad as me .... leave the oil change long enough so water gets in and it then looks like yoghurt ... easy to see on stick then. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

rogerthebodger

Visit site
I had the dip sticks I made for my fuel tanks colour zinc plated mat black so I could mark every 25 liters depth and make the dip stick easy to read similar to paint with mat black paint

I picked the chalk tip from my local petrol station who used that trick on their aluminum tank dip sticks