Trip Debrief: What Went Right, Wrong, And What We Should Have Done Differently

weustace

Visit site
Yes, I recall sailing with a YM (not sure which level—possibly only Coastal) on my first time aboard a yacht in Greece some years ago. Having explained to him what telltales were and how they worked, as we beat our way out into the Ionian, he felt rather unwell and went to lie down. We bore off the wind a little and he seemed at first rather keen that we should keep the main pinned in on the newly settled beam reach, "to avoid gybing". Ever since I have been rather wary of the YM ticket as a sole indicator of competence...

Praxinoscope

Visit site
I sometimes wonder if the adverse remarks on the quality of RYA Yachtmaster Certificate of Competence holders comes from those who have never tried to attempt the rigours of a YM exam, I did mine some 40 years ago (YM Offshore No 5247) and can assure you it was one of the most testing times for my practical and theoretical knowledge of sailing.
Perhaps if someone claims to have a YM they should be able to produce their Certificate, I am always proud to show it if asked, in a way I think it was agreater achievement to receive the YM than some of my professional qualifications.

zoidberg

Visit site
'Praxis' perspective on the notorious 'Zero To Hero' types is reasonable, but I do hope it is broadly unfounded. There was a time when those presenting for YM assessment - according to the RYA of old - averaged not the basic ( now ) 2500 nm but typically over 15000 sea miles, and a lot more than the 'minimum 50 days' spent aboard. The 'Fast Track' moneyspinner is a big earner for many sea schools, but it does tend to produce ZTH types whose confidence far exceeds their competence.

Those who approach the required learning in the spirit intended are usually 'worth their salt', and the other type - notable for their hubris - are usually easy to spot and avoid.

weustace

Visit site
I'm not going to get involved in the thread drift of a detailed debate on the subject, but I would say:
I have never claimed to have YM Offshore—I have only YM Coastal, for which the exam was far easier than I'd expected. In the case I mention above, I did not demand to see the fellow's certificate, though I assumed it would have been examined by his employer (not us). It was also my first time sailing on anything bigger than a half-decker, so I was naturally not quite as well placed to question his competence as I feel I am now, in hindsight. I think YM is a commendable programme and that, with any such qualification, it sits at an early stage of building experience as a skipper—so a raw, newly qualified YM should have the experience to make passages in a safe fashion, but building in the efficiency and comfort that a cruising sailor generally targets may take more practice...

To bring the discussion back to the OP, this is a near-identical situation to that he found himself in: the "expert" proved rather less competent than expected, but no damage was done, and he had an educational passage. I made my first big coastal/offshore overnight passages as skipper only last year, around the Channel and Scotland, and I think I learned a great deal on each of them. By the last big night passage of last season, it felt a lot more routine than the first—so I think the key is probably that, now you know you can do it...go and do it! Night passage making for its own sake is perhaps incompatible with being awake when you reach your destination, but it allows a massive extension of cruising range. OP: apologies for drifting :)

Regards
William

Stemar

Visit site
with any such qualification, it sits at an early stage of building experience as a skipper

That's the critical point. Unless someone has years of experience and only gets the qualification because they need a piece of paper, that bit of paper does no more than say you now have a minimal competence that might help you stay out of trouble while you learn to sail - a bit like my driving instructor who, after congratulating me on passing my test, said, "Now it's time to learn to drive."

Genoa

Visit site
....comes from those who have never tried to attempt the rigours of a YM exam, I did mine some 40 years ago (YM Offshore No 5247) and can assure you it was one of the most testing times for my practical and theoretical knowledge of sailing.
Perhaps if someone claims to have a YM they should be able to produce their Certificate, I am always proud to show it if asked, in a way I think it was agreater achievement to receive the YM than some of my professional qualifications.

Ditto. #07089 is my number and it was a very intensive 13 hours of enduring every disaster the examiner could dream up. As an ex dinghy sailor though, I wasn’t aware of any critique on my sailing, it was all seamanship related.