The Tarquin Trader Saga - Update

andyball

Visit site
Re: Tarquin respond

I knew the matter of the big invoice would be raised eventually Paul.

The invoice for "extras" fitted in the UK & connecting up a media box & spotlight etc. - The one you were asking for months before you left, the one you asked over and over for, repeatedly offering to pay for work done to date, if only Trader would invoice you for it.

So the invoice arrives, as I recall, the very day you'd said you'd be leaving. I know we were both expecting a hefty bill, it being "marine" business and all - but were both shocked by the amount & started checking the items. Within a few minutes you had found several things that you paid for as part of the boat purchase price - things that were listed in the original spec for Ocean Deep.

Some items were absolutely outrageous - I'm sure you can explain better than I about the price for wiring up a simple media box & fitting/wiring a searchlight.

And yes, the invoice was from some unknown to you company, rather than Trader themselves. & Yes, you tried to discuss it with them - all a long way from the suggestion that you deliberately left without paying.

fireball

Visit site

It would be interesting to find out the directorships from this unknown company ... if there is something dodgy going on then there is likely to be a link between the 2 companies...

andyball

Visit site

The company was Emsworth BoatYard or some such - Trader said they always invoiced via them even tho the work was part of the boat sale. I must admit, it seemed odd & I'd be more comfortable dealing with one company too.

Gludy

www.sailingvideos4us.com

Andy
Thank you for supporting the truth that you witnessed and keeping in mind that i have responded in a detailed fashion to that invoice copying proof of payment etc and not received any response back in some five months it does take the cake that they raise it now! No doubt then this is what Tony Chappell was referring to in his smears. Never mind I only spent £1m with them so how can I expect other than this sort of treatment.

I had mentioned the subject earlier in the thread stating I could tell the story of how they actually hand over a boat but that the story would require a separate thread. I mntioned I had won through that one.

What really gets me is the way they invent stories that cannot even stand a moments inspection. In fact I had arranged the welder etc for them in Swansea the work was done in hours, for a good price and according to them to a high standard. This work was to enable the engine thrust to be attached to the boat - I think all would agree, a pretty basic matter in most boats. yet it is presented here as some sort of great favour they did for me in being forced to do trips to Swansea - what if the boat had been in Greece? Do you just scrap it then or bring it all the way back to Emsworth?

Once again thank you for clearly stating what you knew to be true. I was expecting a surpise - yes tyhat was because by then I had heard the other horror stories from other customers including stories of some escaping Emsworth at night etc.

Gludy

www.sailingvideos4us.com

The two companies have Tony Chappell as the director but Emsworth Boat Yard has no assets to speak of at all.

At the time the invoice, which was worthy of a Nobel prixe for fiction, was presented, my boat had been delayed 6 months at a cost of many tens of thousands to me and in my response letter to Emsworth Boat yard I pointed out thaty the ruse of raising an invoice from an unkown business that imposed a condition of full payment before the boat is allowed to leave the yard, will not work because I had never even heard of the business. As it happened the business has next to no assets, even less than the £15k from memory. I also pointed out that if Tarquin raised it then there would be a matter of a counter claim from me. They raised the same invoice from Tarquin months after this and i repsonded to it by return.

Beleive me the horror strory of dealings in the purchase of this boat explores new depths and in raising this issue Tarquin have simply shot themselves in the foot yet again.

Gludy

www.sailingvideos4us.com
Re: Phone call today from Trader

James Course phoned me today explaining that although he did not want to deal with me because he thought I was being personal about him, he was being ordered to by Tony Chappell.

I explained that all my remarks were made against the company or in some direct to Tony Chappell but none were meant as personal to him.

In this phone call he agreed to answer my complete list of problems. So that we can discuss any issues that we disagree about. I also detected movement on issues such as the keel. He explained that he could not answer the commercial issues such as agreeing to accept liability for my external expert bills that were required to expose the faults. That would have to be dealt with by Tony Chappell.

The basic reason for me starting these threads was to firstly share my experience with others so that they can form their own judgements and learn from my mistakes and secondly to try and get a response from Trader. I thought the chances of a response were low but I was wrong. They have now responded and made a promise to go through the list and answer the questions.

James was disappointed that I had not made the point on the forum that huge amounts of jobs had been done. So I want to make it clear – over the last 11 months many jobs have been done. It has taken an enormous effort by friends such as Andy ball in helping me expose the problems and I have had to call in expert outside help but I have to agree, many, many jobs have been done. There are still left however, many jobs like the keel, windscreen etc, etc etc.
Trader were not having the boat checked and fixed, that was left up to me the customer and friends like Andy who was invaluable. I actually think I was doing their job for them for it was their job to deliver to me a functional, safe and working boat. I spent 6 months travelling to Emsworth every weekend in an attempt to get the boat fixed and had to fight through point after point.

I do not feel I cannot let the pressure of the thread drop until I actually get a response and we start to sort things out but long live the forum, it has taken an extreme pressure that I have done my best to use in a balanced fashion but it has worked!!! …. so far.