Synthetic teak decking

SeaAndSea

Visit site
Looks like we need to replace the teak decking on our Trader 47. What's people's views on synthetic rather than timber? We are looking for something that is as maintenance free as possible.
Cheers
Colin

pvb

Visit site
I have fake teak on my Bavaria, it looks fairly good and requires virtually no maintenance. It was a more expensive option than real teak (although Bavaria real teak is only about 6mm thick).

Attachments

• deck1.jpg
    deck1.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 18

Quandary

Visit site
A previous owner replaced the real teak in our cockpit with it, it seems durable, requires no maintenance and looks like sh*t.

jwilson

Visit site
A previous owner replaced the real teak in our cockpit with it, it seems durable, requires no maintenance and looks like sh*t.
Last time I was at SIBS I looked at various fake teaks: there was one that looked pretty closely like silvery weathered teak. When I need to replace some thin real teak on my sugarscoop in a few years (maybe less) I will probably use that type.

scruff

Visit site
I think it depends on the make / brand tbh. I have seen some horrendous orange fake teak decks but I have seen one or two where it looked really, really good.

Yngmar

Visit site
We have an aging teak deck and so I've explored my options for the future. Like jwilson, I prefer the silvery grey one rather than the shades of brown, and like Quandary I do think they all look more or less like sh*t anyways.

The fake teak stuff has only really been on the market for a few years (5 or so since it got popular I would think) and I'm starting to see damaged fake teak decks where the material has split open and is coming apart, as plastics eventually do in the sun. Also, it looks plain wrong when it gets wet and doesn't change colour like real teak does. Nor does it have the amazing fast-dry feature of real teak.

Also seen some cork decks that looked and felt amazing, but had to sit down after asking the owner about the cost.

So in the end I just don't see the big advantage over just stripping off the old deck, fairing and then using non-slip paint. The boat will be a lot lighter that way, it's less work and money to do and easier to fix up once you inevitably damage some of it.

For the cockpit seating only, I would like a small and manageable amount of real teak though, because I've really come to appreciate its features there.

Final heretic thought - there is no practical reason for the plastic deck to come in 58mm wide strips with (mostly faux) caulking between them like real teak does, so why does almost all of it only come that way? :)

Elessar

Visit site
Looks like we need to replace the teak decking on our Trader 47. What's people's views on synthetic rather than timber? We are looking for something that is as maintenance free as possible.
Cheers
Colin

I would never go back to real teak. The only thing I miss is the smell.

When I fitted mine about 5 years ago there was only one (flexiteek) that has colour imperfections running right through the material making it look more real. Even when sanded after damage. There may be others now.

Non skid deck cleaner and a soft brush cleans it. A scotchbrite pad removes stubborn stains. Sandpaper removes scratches. And the yard jetwash brings it back like new if you’ve spilt oil or otherwise got it very grubby.

The quality of the install is as critical as that makes the difference between the fake an real appearance too.

Check out hurricanes post on the mobo forum. He has a large and very expensive mobo that he bought new and he keeps it in absolutely immaculate condition. He replaced the bathing platform with flexiteek so the real and the fake is separated only by a step and you don’t notice the different materials.

To generalise, mobo owners like to keep their teak straw coloured and yotties are more likely to let it weather to silver - there are exceptions both ways before you rant with anecdotes! - but you can buy the synthetic stuff to look like either.

You can also buy it to look like brand new teak but I don’t like that look.

In summary, if it looks fake it’s an inferior product or been installed badly.

jiris

Visit site
I see some Chinese suppliers are now on eBay with synthetic teak. Does anyone have feedback? https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/223498256010

I have about 3 years experience with it. A kind of "mixed bag".
Good points:
1) cheap
2) Looks good
4) easy to install
5) excellent anti-slip properties
6) pleasantly soft and warm feel to sit on
7) easy to repair
8) easy to wash
9) good UV resistance

Cons:
1) poor mechanical wear resistance
2) poor organic solvents and grease resistance

It can be used successfully on low traffic areas where it also won't get spilled over by fuel on oils. Anywhere else - it turn quickly ugly with the "wood" surface layer peels off exposing the black base material. If not mechanically or chemically damaged, you can get probably 5 years out of it. Replacement easy and cheap.

Praxinoscope

Visit site
The previous owner of my current boat fitted TekDek to the cockpit a couple of years beforeI bought it, it looks good, possibly not as good as real teak but not a bad representation, it’s good non-slip and seems tough and resistant to diesel spills etc.
Only reservation is that on hot sunny days the TekDek can get very hot go the touch.

AndyL

www.marinechandlery.com
Hi Alastair, I did my cockpit seats with EVA faux teak from China. It hasn't fallen off one year on and apart from looking OK from a distance, it is actually quite comfy to sit on.

salar

harley25refit.blogspot.co.uk
I used Permateek 5 years ago and I think it still looks great. It is the "weathered" look. Photos here in my refit blog: https://harley25refit.blogspot.com/2014/06/new-decking-in-cockpit.html If you look through the door to the cabin sole, that is laminate-faced ply which looks more like a varnished floorboard and not to be confused with the Permateek in the cockpit. The panels were made to fit, I fitted them myself.

permateek8.jpg