SYH hosepipes

johnalison

Visit site
It is not uncommon and there are good hygienic reasons for it. If you have ever seen someone insert the end of the hose among their dog's rear end to wash it out you will know one example of what I mean. We don't have hoses at Titchmarsh, though they are available from the office. In the past Sixhaven used to have two sets of hoses and supply, one for potable water and the other non-potable for boat washing, which seemed sensible.

Plum

Visit site
I was told all the hosepipes have been removed and you have to take your own. Is this really true?
I was going to overnight and take on water etc. Seems odd to me.
There are now very few marinas that have hoses on the pontoons. Having your own hose reel is now essential!

Finding a good quality compact hose for drinking water is not easy. This is the one I bought last year Flat Non-Toxic Hose on Large White Reel - DKN Online
I asked Hozelock and they said none of their hoses are recommended for drinking water.

www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

Last edited:

Oldgeezer

Visit site
A problem fixed that nobody knew existed!

Just an idea. Why couldnt they lend a hose by the hour for a suitable deposit. Then all the stagnant water, dropped in marina, etc problems would be resolved. (just seen - like titchmarsh)

If I bring a hose is it a standard garden water pipe push fitment? Or do i need to buy a fitment from the chandlery?
Thanks

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
I find it surprising how het up people get about this! Coming to coastal sailing a dozen or so years ago after half a lifetime on the canals, I was astonished to find permanent hoses on marina water taps at all. On the canals, you carry your own hose, always have

Personally, I much prefer a hose that I know where it's been and what it's been used for anyway

I also have never worried about "drinking water" quality hoses. Been drinking water out of tanks filled with a hose from the garden shop or DIY store for most of my adult life and I ain't dead yet! Of course, if you ask the hose manufacturer if it's suitable for drinking water they are going to have to say no because there are specific standards etc. for food grade hoses (intended for industrial applications)

John 32i

Visit site

Just an idea. Why couldnt they lend a hose by the hour for a suitable deposit. Then all the stagnant water, dropped in marina, etc problems would be resolved. (just seen - like titchmarsh)

If I bring a hose is it a standard garden water pipe push fitment? Or do i need to buy a fitment from the chandlery?
Thanks

I think you can hire a hose from most marinas in Europe but not in the U.K.

You will need a standard screw on attachment for the tap and then the hose clips on that.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
The water companies tightened up the regulations 7 or 8 years ago, and fixed hosepipes have become increasingly rare since then. I am given to understand that it's because of a risk of contamination getting into the water mains; either salt water from hoses falling in the water or biological contamination from stagnant water in hosepipes. That could be avoided by appropriate systems at the landward end of the pontoon distribution system, but it would result in low pressure at taps unless the marina installed a water tower.

I've always carried a hose anyway.

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
And no - you can't borrow mine!

Nor mine!*

I once lent a hose to somebody only to watch them first of all drop the end in the water (grrr, OK I've done it too so hey ho) and then, to my utter astonishment, poke the end down the bog pump out fitting because, they said as I remonstrated with them, the toilet was blocked!

At that point I said "keep the ****ing hose" and walked off in disgust and high dudgeon (it was the shorter and older of two hoses we had on board)

* OK, if you asked nicely I'd probably sucumb but even the Gods would not be able to help you if you didn't look after it!

johnalison

Visit site
Some Continental marinas have fittings that are different to our standard sizes, so we keep an assortment of adaptors on boats, as well as the little double-male adaptor, whatever it's called.

Yorkshire Exile

Visit site

Thanks
You will need a standard screw on adapter fitting to fit your push on fitting as the taps do not have them unless someone has accidently left theirs in place.

johnalison

Visit site
You will need a standard screw on adapter fitting to fit your push on fitting as the taps do not have them unless someone has accidently left theirs in place.
There was a thread a year or two ago initiated by someone having a whinge about finding a tap without the screw-on adaptor. Not surprisingly, the OP was subjected to some mockery for his naivety in expecting to find everything laid on. For any boat of any size expecting to water up at marinas a hose and suitable fitting is essential. I must have half a dozen screw-ons from various sources on board, but none of them purloined, I hasten to say. A rubber cup adaptor with a jubilee-clip type of closure is useful since it will fit just about anything, but the occasions I have used ours are very few.

Sailing steve

Visit site
Q: What is SYH doing to assist berth holders and marina users?

A: The SYH chandlery will stock the appropriate hose pipe kits, including those with automatic shut off valves, and staff will be on-hand to help with any queries.

Of course they will have everything you'll need right there in stock and naturally will be only too happy to sell everything anybody could possibly need to everybody who needs it rather than providing them as a service and for gratis like they did before...

Daydream believer

Visit site
There was a thread a year or two ago initiated by someone having a whinge about finding a tap without the screw-on adaptor.
I was complaining about the fact that whilst the marina regularly fitted the hose adaptor so many idiots felt it their right to steal said fitting. Apart from the pettiness of stealing such a minor item it causes a deal of inconvenience to many people.

Daydream believer

Visit site
I think the funniest are in Boulogne marina. The outlet is just above the edge of the pontoon. It is a female hose lock fitting so one needs a female one on the hose & a double male fitting to go into the hose as well as the outlet on the water fitting. This is because one rarely has a male fitting on one's hose. So that means a male/male insert.
When releasing the hose one will invariably leave the male/male fitting in the water stand. As the outer ring is drawn back to release it the pressure blows it out. If one does not realise this it blows the fitting 3 feet out into the dock, where it stays forever. :rolleyes: