Petty forum members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mister E

Visit site
Perhaps Steve could have a signature that said: "I can sometimes help with sourcing difficult outboard parts - give me a PM" or summut like that? Or would that still be out of order?
Maybe it would be better is someone else recommended this.

srm

Visit site
For around six months I ran a "signature" saying my boat urgently needed a new owner. This, somewhat indirectly, resulted in said new owner appearing. I started a new thread thanking ybw forums only to have it very quickly pulled as it might encourage others to breach T and C. I apologised and pointed out that they could have asked me to remove the signature line at any time during the previous six months.

fredrussell

Visit site
I suppose this forum is a money making thing - the forum owners sell advertising space to the advertisers that we all completely ignore or block, and Steve getting told off is just a sad aspect of that. He’s one of a handful of pro’s on here that offer invaluable advice that they would otherwise charge for.

jbweston

Visit site
I suppose this forum is a money making thing - the forum owners sell advertising space to the advertisers that we all completely ignore or block, and Steve getting told off is just a sad aspect of that. He’s one of a handful of pro’s on here that offer invaluable advice that they would otherwise charge for.
I think some of the rules date back to the days when the publishers sold a lot of advertising in their dead trees magazines and then they started what were in effect online paid classifieds. They didn't want to provide free advertising on here in competition with their business.

They see these forums as a service they provide and for which we should be grateful rather than a way of attracting traffic to the site to boost their income from the ads that some people see when they come here. However, I am grateful. And I never have to look at any ads - but that's another story.

DownWest

Visit site
Another thing and it is recent, under the username and join date/message count, it says 'visit site' Isn't that an invite to advertise? Or, maybe, one's blog? Also a sort of advertising or self promotion?

Geoff Wode

Visit site
Especially sad when consider your technical contributions over the years are still here for posterity, adding value and providing reasons to visit this website via Google.

srm

Visit site
Another thing and it is recent, under the username and join date/message count, it says 'visit site' Isn't that an invite to advertise? Or, maybe, one's blog? Also a sort of advertising or self promotion?
That is very interesting - have just noticed the "visit site" invite has evaporated, both on this thread and another I was following. Or is it my machine? I certainly noticed it on previous visits.

DownWest

Visit site
That is very interesting - have just noticed the "visit site" invite has evaporated, both on this thread and another I was following. Or is it my machine? I certainly noticed it on previous visits.
Same here. Looks to have gone from other threads too.

Plum

Visit site
I can see a "visit site" on the left just below where your location is shown but do not understant its function as it just takes me to the top of the page

Davy_S

Visit site
I can see a "visit site" on the left just below where your location is shown but do not understant its function as it just takes me to the top of the page
I have noticed it before, but as you say, it simply takes you back to the same thread that you are viewing, so i do not know what the point of it is.

MontyMariner

montymariner.co.uk
Maybe there should be a register of members with an associated commercial interest.
To have people contributing with knowledge gained via commercial interest can only enhance the forum, so to drive them away because occasionally promote their business is self defeating.
Simon - the weather chap comes to mind.

Refueler

Visit site
Total puzzlement with the actions of the moderators .

Having had my whole membership 'folio' deleted because some other ***** spouted disgusting posts about my having a Russian wife .... his 'folio' deleted - but then re-instated - mine moderators refused to re-instate saying it was completely erased .... I can agree with this quote.

Too many times - my 'account' has been suspended after others insults .... why I get suspended and not them ??

The original forum before it got hacked was far better and admin / mods were more attuned to what happened here ... AND were approachable to discuss their actions - now you just get quoted rules and no discussion at all .... whether you are right or wrong.

Snowgoose-1

Visit site
Having had my whole membership 'folio' deleted because some other ***** spouted disgusting posts about my having a Russian wife .... his 'folio' deleted - but then re-instated - mine moderators refused to re-instate saying it was completely erased .... I can agree with this quote.

Too many times - my 'account' has been suspended after others insults .... why I get suspended and not them ??

The original forum before it got hacked was far better and admin / mods were more attuned to what happened here ... AND were approachable to discuss their actions - now you just get quoted rules and no discussion at all .... whether you are right or wrong.
Dear Refuleler
I object to you using my quote to make a point on a thread concerning E Scooters and not Honda Outboards. I did not contribute or read any posts on E Scooters
TA.

Status
Not open for further replies.