Sunseeker Stand - Southampton Boat Show 2021

DAW

Visit site
From all the Nick Burnham boat tour videos ive watched over the years i thought that Düsseldorf Boat Show looked the most impressive.

I could be wrong though

:cautious:

Dusseldorf is a fantastic event to visit, but I've always regarded it as just as much a trade show for the marine industry as a traditional "boat" show. You have a much bigger range of exhibitors, but many of them are service providers or component manufacturers and not boat builders. Also, visiting an indoor show held in an exhibition hall in Central Europe in January will never be the same experience as being in the Med and standing in the sun sipping something cold at the end of another perfect summer. I can understand why from a journalistic perspective its a much better show ... everything close together, no variable weather, good separation between boats makes video easier and easier to access boats without visitors, brokers, etc. interfering.

pumpsmynads

Visit site
5F2B4B9A-1E27-471A-8689-7C5F5884A818.jpeg
Knowing they’ll check out the labels in your shoes I’d deliberately wear a pair of these Lidl trainers. Go well with a platinum yachmaster.

ShaneAtSea

Visit site
Knowing they’ll check out the labels in your shoes I’d deliberately wear a pair of these Lidl trainers. Go well with a platinum yachmaster.

Or this couple who look like there on their way to Poundland

Hard to believe that theyre worth over $60 billion ?

article-0-00E74A8B00000578-870_634x680.jpg

SC35

Visit site
Owners of IKEA I believe. An old pic, he died in 2018

In this instance, a car salesman would have been right to think they wouldn't have much chance selling him an expensive car.
For many years, Ingvar Kamprad drove one of these:

67287102_1262192567319348_2857078516644577280_n.jpg

PowerYachtBlog

www.poweryachtblog.com
re- Dusseldorf. For me a boat show with boat on land is a misleading show. Seeing how boats sit in the water is what it is all about.

That is why Cannes - Genoa - Southampton - Barcelona are the important shows in the Eu, Fort Lauderdale - Miami - Palm Beach in the USA, and Sydney - Gold Coast Australia etc.

PilotWolf

Visit site
I find it VERY hard to believe that a car dealership has a dress code and slings people out for wearing a tee shirt. :D

Out of interest, do you put a suit on to go car shopping? :)

These stories do seem to crop up with monotonous regularity.

As I said this guy was genuine and I had no reason to disbelieve him having worked with him for a couple of years and got a ride in it when he picked it up.

W.

ShaneAtSea

Visit site
I agree with PowerYachtBlog re: Pearl overtaking Fairline. Had a tour of the 62 at the Swanwick show and it offers a genuine alternative with lovely internal design features. They also provide a 5 year warranty.

I’m spoiled as a Princess owner of 15 years, the brand has led the way in terms of internal volume and design when compared to most other builders.

Recently Sunseeker has caught up in the internal volume stakes but Fairline is still languishing in the mid ‘90s I’m afraid. Looking to change currently and just can’t see why you’d buy a 50 ft Fairline. Sad having owned two in the past.

Cannes offered some interesting alternatives for me. Sirena and Absolute were the main players. Love the modern Trawler take of Sirena whilst still retaining 28 knots should you need it. Absolute had some cracking interior ideas particularly with their 60, not quite sure I could bring myself to pay their prices relative to my perceived quality of build though.

In terms of show timings / available boats etc. The builders have no influence at all. They can’t say hold the show now because we’ve got boats, they have to fit in boats to the show timings and of course these aren’t cars with a hundred or more coming off the line each day, they are small volume producers who have to juggle production schedule with owner willingness.

Some builders “cheat” a little bit and show used boats that owners are prepared to lend. Always a good sign of how boats hold up in use. Think Nordhavn & Fleming who often show craft with several thousand miles under the keel.

The other problem this year is a famine of available stock due to production restrictions and pent up demand over a couple of years. For smaller producers this can be a real issue. Once you ramp up numbers it gets easier. If you have 5 boats per week coming off the line you can juggle and butter up owners.

Enjoyed Cowes, looking forward to Southampton.

Henry

New Sirena 68 Yacht Tour

CUE99T

Visit site
After 6 pages and sort of my first post here I thought I'd chip in with some comments that might cause some different views after I visited the boat show in Southampton which me and the missus flkew down from Glasgow to see a used boat from Princess and all the new boats at the show from all the vendors. Maybe also some takeaways for us that would be good to get a view on.

Sunseeker:
Stand separated from the walkway made me not want to actually ask to see on the boats. The crazy thing is I have been in touch with them for a few years since about 2013/14 when I met one of their guys at Inverkip who was very welcoming, yet I called their office and asked to speak to him twice and even text him which I know he read my text yet couldn't be bothered to either call me or send me back an email from my email which I sent him. Seen him at the show and tbh wanted to ask why he hadnt got in touch but just didnt bother. Kinda feel like just saying to take me off your mailing list if you can't be bothered to return my calls emails or texts!! Shame cos I liked Sunseeker a lot until then, and when I was at Monaco they couldn't have been nicer welcoming me onto the stand which Sunseeker London had actually supposedly organised but hadn't but in the end contacted the stand at the last minute. Missus keeps showing me sunseekrs now and tbh I dont want to buy from them purely on the last interaction as it feels very different a connection as it did back when I first got introduced to them.

Princess:
Nice girls on reception who were nice to chat, but think mainly as we had a contact name and an appointment. Was a bit disappointed when I seen the boat at Swanick as the owner couldn't even be bothered to clean it for my viewing and is asking mega money for it!! The sale chap was nice enough but I got the impression there wasn't much leverage from his client with the current market and it was a take it or leave it position, but I'd probably have a go at landing a European boat at the price he's asking as I felt it needed about 50-75k refurb money spent on it to get it to where it needed to be for the asking price.

Galeon:
Stevie (approved boats) on Galeon stand was an absolute star and was super nice in showing us loads of things with all their boats and actually knew the product really well. Really useful and spent lots of time with us. Liked the FLY expanding wings at the back.

Prestige:
Guys were nice enough, didn't know the products beam when asked which surprised me as they only had 3 boats....how hard can it be to not know these things, anyway good to meet a few of their brokers as they were chatty enough.

Fairline: Quesues were massive and tbh just couldnt be bothered waiting to get on, so didnt bother.

Overall I felt it was good to meet some brokers that we didnt know as its a used boat more liekly, and people like Derek from Solent Motor Yachts was good at giving a frank review of all the brands including his and used stock, and enjoyed the chat with him.

In Scotland its quite heavy sail boats and less motorboats so good to get in amongst it down in SOTON but I think the Dusseldorf show I went to ni 2019 was way better, and can understand the quotes about it with it not beijng on the water but personally I didnt think that matters.

Loved the SETAG refit boats, absolutely out of this world and have had some personal attention from Chris Gates which makes me want to engage on a project with them, but fidning the right boat is a total mind field right now with so little stock and high prices
I'm just gonna sit it out until Jan and see where the market goes [Inappropriate content deleted].

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris H

Visit site
After 6 pages and sort of my first post here I thought I'd chip in with some comments that might cause some different views after I visited the boat show in Southampton which me and the missus flkew down from Glasgow to see a used boat from Princess and all the new boats at the show from all the vendors. Maybe also some takeaways for us that would be good to get a view on.

Sunseeker:
Stand separated from the walkway made me not want to actually ask to see on the boats. The crazy thing is I have been in touch with them for a few years since about 2013/14 when I met one of their guys at Inverkip who was very welcoming, yet I called their office and asked to speak to him twice and even text him which I know he read my text yet couldn't be bothered to either call me or send me back an email from my email which I sent him. Seen him at the show and tbh wanted to ask why he hadnt got in touch but just didnt bother. Kinda feel like just saying to take me off your mailing list if you can't be bothered to return my calls emails or texts!! Shame cos I liked Sunseeker a lot until then, and when I was at Monaco they couldn't have been nicer welcoming me onto the stand which Sunseeker London had actually supposedly organised but hadn't but in the end contacted the stand at the last minute. Missus keeps showing me sunseekrs now and tbh I dont want to buy from them purely on the last interaction as it feels very different a connection as it did back when I first got introduced to them.

Princess:
Nice girls on reception who were nice to chat, but think mainly as we had a contact name and an appointment. Was a bit disappointed when I seen the boat at Swanick as the owner couldn't even be bothered to clean it for my viewing and is asking mega money for it!! The sale chap was nice enough but I got the impression there wasn't much leverage from his client with the current market and it was a take it or leave it position, but I'd probably have a go at landing a European boat at the price he's asking as I felt it needed about 50-75k refurb money spent on it to get it to where it needed to be for the asking price.

Galeon:
Stevie (approved boats) on Galeon stand was an absolute star and was super nice in showing us loads of things with all their boats and actually knew the product really well. Really useful and spent lots of time with us. Liked the FLY expanding wings at the back.

Prestige:
Guys were nice enough, didn't know the products beam when asked which surprised me as they only had 3 boats....how hard can it be to not know these things, anyway good to meet a few of their brokers as they were chatty enough.

Fairline: Quesues were massive and tbh just couldnt be bothered waiting to get on, so didnt bother.

Overall I felt it was good to meet some brokers that we didnt know as its a used boat more liekly, and people like Derek from Solent Motor Yachts was good at giving a frank review of all the brands including his and used stock, and enjoyed the chat with him.

In Scotland its quite heavy sail boats and less motorboats so good to get in amongst it down in SOTON but I think the Dusseldorf show I went to ni 2019 was way better, and can understand the quotes about it with it not beijng on the water but personally I didnt think that matters.

Loved the SETAG refit boats, absolutely out of this world and have had some personal attention from Chris Gates which makes me want to engage on a project with them, but fidning the right boat is a total mind field right now with so little stock and high prices
I'm just gonna sit it out until Jan and see where the market goes [Inappropriate content deleted].
Your reputation proceeds you……….they know your a fender kicker !

Last edited by a moderator:

CUE99T

Visit site
There is no escaping you is there........have you no work to do? You're like my little forum stalker.......

As for fender kicker....hold my beer......

CUE99T

Visit site
I see you "northerners" who aren't really northern are still struggling with the Queens English.....good job you're useful with a screw driver or you'd be skint!!! :D