Sunseeker Stand - Southampton Boat Show 2021

prinex

Visit site
At Cannes I went with my daughter which is 18 y/o and looks like a top model, while my look is what you get after 25 years of 80+ business flights a year. We got invited everywhere no questions asked.
I hope they did not draw the wrong conclusions, I wanted to wear a T-shirt saying "is my daughter not my wife" but then we probably just would have a paper brochure instead of free drinks and all.

markc

Visit site
A tourist of today is quite often a buyer for tomorrow!
Totally agreed, but let's say I was on the Princess stand as a 'tourist', I would want to be treated well but I wouldn't mind that once identified as not a 'buyer', if the sales person said I was very welcome to explore the boat, with a few pointers and to 'feel free to pop back with any questions'. I wouldn't expect a guided tour and full on attention as if I was a potential purchaser. That would be a little arrogant IMHO.

dom

Visit site
Totally agreed, but let's say I was on the Princess stand as a 'tourist', I would want to be treated well but I wouldn't mind that once identified as not a 'buyer', if the sales person said I was very welcome to explore the boat, with a few pointers and to 'feel free to pop back with any questions'. I wouldn't expect a guided tour and full on attention as if I was a potential purchaser. That would be a little arrogant IMHO.

Just an opinion, but I much prefer the opportunity to have a look around on my own, to think, and then perhaps come back for another look and an exchange contact dets later. Conversely, I hate the old:

"Well Sir, You cannot fail to have hot babes on tap in the SoF this summer with our latest flagship ...drone drone!"
:rolleyes:

ontheplane

Visit site
Oh I agree, I don't expect to be fawned over or anyone spend a load of time with me - but the Porsche ad nailed it - the dreamer of today is the buyer of tomorrow... and you just don't know what that time gap may be - 10 years or a week... the lottery has changed that....

Sadly plenty still do judge the book by the cover instead of finding out the truth...

Last edited:

Bouba

Visit site
Oh I agree, I dont expect to be fanned over or anyone spend a load of time with me - but the Porsche ad nailed it - the dreamer of today is the buyer of tomorrow... and you just don't know what that time gap may be - 10 years or a week... the lottery has changed that....

Sadly plenty still do judge the book by the cover instead of finding out the truth...
You are absolutely right! The Porsche is an old man’s car

SC35

Visit site
I haven’t had any issues buying the last couple of cars when not dressed smartly.
I think dealers nowadays are much better at identifying serious buyers by using qualifying questions and the way the conversation is going, rather than judging what the customer is wearing.
Not deliberately, the current car was bought wearing a Depeche Mode T-shirt, black jeans and trainers.
The watch might have been a clue, but only if you are into watches.

If I do wear a suit and go shopping. what generally happens is that other customers ask me where things are or start to complain about the shop ?

Bouba

Visit site
I haven’t had any issues buying the last couple of cars when not dressed smartly.
I think dealers nowadays are much better at identifying serious buyers by using qualifying questions and the way the conversation is going, rather than judging what the customer is wearing.
Not deliberately, the current car was bought wearing a Depeche Mode T-shirt, black jeans and trainers.
The watch might have been a clue, but only if you are into watches.

If I do wear a suit and go shopping. what generally happens is that other customers ask me where things are or start to complain about the shop ?
When you go to a car dealership you find in the waiting area watch magazines

PalmaTarga

Visit site
Reading between the lines I think Sunseeker has always nailed it in boat shows, much more than the other bigger brands.

Unfortunately some brands forget it is a boat show, not a boat snob parade.
There's a good podcast out there with Chris Head from Sunseeker London backing this up, stating that everyone needs to be welcomed on board. How clients become Sunseeker buyers due to the way they have been treated over the years as non buyers at shows, and gone are the days of it being about shoes and watches, it's just as much about about Bitcoin, Youtube and new money.