Sunseeker Stand - Southampton Boat Show 2021

Croftie

Visit site
^^^ Listers group opened up a couple of years ago .After a 28 yr gap vacated by JCT .
Whats your point btw ?
No need for a history lesson re Hull's motor trade, I was in it for 40+years
The point was Porsche are back in the city with a first class facility

Portofino

Visit site
No need for a history lesson re Hull's motor trade, I was in it for 40+years
The point was Porsche are back in the city with a first class facility
Yeh but the rest of the forum members reading this , might think your post undermines what I said about the first OPC ( JCT run ) closing down early 90 s .I bought my first 911 in 89 from Gordon Lambs Chesterfield.
Let the Strickland street Boys service it .
Would have loved to have delt with the crew at Strickland street to buy one ..given a better reception .
Hence my qualification of your post which I thought mislead what I said about it closing .

This attire thing cuts both ways .
At the Monaco yacht show my shirt gave the wrong impression unknowingly to me .
At the OPC albeit in the late 80 s my attire also gave the wrong impression.

You just can’t tell theses days . Which is a good thing imho .

How ever the watch + shoes are a starting point .Shoes as I said at boat shows as the labels can be seen .

Coming out of Switzerland into France @ Geneva in a Bentley …..got pulled over .
Window down the customs copper a French one opens up the gambit with “ nice watch - how much cash are you carrying ? “
Seat belt on you know how hard it is to fumble into your trouser pocket to get your wallet out sat in a car seat guys .
So I unclip and stand on my feet to attempt to get my hand into my trousers , he’s leaning into the car and the guys says “ No I mean in the trunk ! “

Cheeky 8ugger .
Told him none and he waved us on .

ari

Visit site
I used to work with a ’friend’ who was obscenely
rich.

He went to look at a new Lotus in jeans and t shirt. the dealer basically threw him out. So he went to a competitor and brought one there, drove back to the first and in true Pretty Woman style told the salesman that he hoped that the loss of commission wasn’t going to be an issue.

W.

This story gets trotted out so often on forums that, were it true, it would have to happen on an hourly basis in any high end car dealership! :D

PilotWolf

Visit site
This story gets trotted out so often on forums that, were it true, it would have to happen on an hourly basis in any high end car dealership! :D

No this was a true story.

He was going to lend it to me while my car was in the garage but it wouldn’t go over the station ramp.

He was/is a doctor that worked crazy hours.

W

ontheplane

Visit site
I had vaguely similar happen to me.....

Before my car sales days I was a service receptionist.

Saturday just before lunch (many moons ago when the salespeople only worked till 12 on a Sat) a kid walks in, could have been no more than 8 or 9yrs old and asks super politely if he could sit in the back of the BMW 750iL we had in the showroom.

One salesperson says he has an upcoming appointment, so he needs to talk to another salesperson...

2nd Salesperaon also has an appointment in a few minutes (both complete lies btw) and to go and see if service will unlock it for him.. ....

For perspective, a decent 3 bed house was about £30k and this car was 60k.....

So I wasn't busy, unlocked the car, told the kid a bit about it and.locked it up again... thought no more about it....

On Monday a guy wearing full Sheikh outfit walks in with 2 massive guys each side, walks up to service and asks for me... I am completely confused and say hi....

"My son, he wishes this car" the guy says, and sure enough, in his briefcase is exactly the money to buy the car.....

I can't take the order so take him to the sales manager to complete the paperwork....

Next day I was called to the sales managers office and in front of everyone I was told I would be getting the commission - which was nearly 10 months salary for me at that time!....

hinch

Visit site
I used to work with a ’friend’ who was obscenely
rich.

He went to look at a new Lotus in jeans and t shirt. the dealer basically threw him out. So he went to a competitor and brought one there, drove back to the first and in true Pretty Woman style told the salesman that he hoped that the loss of commission wasn’t going to be an issue.

W.

exactly the same has happened to me at audi, bmw, merc and ford dealerships pretentious little pricks that work as sales people at those places. turns out though the higher the value car the less they judge you based on your looks, would assume boats aren't clothes judgemental at all.

markc

Visit site
It's not surprising that the sales people on the stands try and filter out the tourists from the buyers as I suspect that the majority of their income is made up of commission. Admittedly, many are not very good at filtering, but you can't blame them for trying, especially on a very busy stand. I think there is zero excuse on a quiet stand. The watch / clothes thing is a daft way of filtering. The best way is to engage in a conversation - a 'tourist' will inevitably be quite happy to reveal themselves as such.

Nito

Visit site
It's not surprising that the sales people on the stands try and filter out the tourists from the buyers as I suspect that the majority of their income is made up of commission. Admittedly, many are not very good at filtering, but you can't blame them for trying, especially on a very busy stand. I think there is zero excuse on a quiet stand. The watch / clothes thing is a daft way of filtering. The best way is to engage in a conversation - a 'tourist' will inevitably be quite happy to reveal themselves as such.

A tourist of today is quite often a buyer for tomorrow!

Bouba

Visit site
I don’t think that we, as punters, need to lie. Just say, for example, I have a Prinseeker X and I’ve always fancied a Suncess X Squared. If the salesperson only wants people with cash in their pocket and an empty berth then I think they are in the wrong

dom

Visit site

I don't work in Saville Row and Casio and Nike are fine for me

Paid a holding deposit on a new yacht at Excel a few years back despite the, "please stand at the back while serious customers look" attitude.

Pissed off with myself, I cancelled, engaged a lawyer to recover the deposit, and then bought the same boat from a truly wonderful French dealer.

Since which time I have bought 2 more yachts and a rib from him, and my friends have bought several more.

Good service pays.

Last edited:

SolentDavid

Visit site
I’ll head to the Sunseeker stand today then. Going for the first time in years. Very excited. Taking my dad with the aim of stopping me putting a deposit down on something I can’t afford!