steering with outboard

skinner

Visit site
as a new "boater"could any one inform me if there is a contraption which enables you to steer the boat when approaching a mooring whilst you have cut the power to your outboard.

<hr width=100% size=1>

stamfordian

Visit site
Approach yhe mooring in gear at tickover only ,with 15hp on a Shetland you should only be doing 1 knot or so ,what sort of mooring??.
You can get a Rudder for outdrives to assit at low speed (prop guard for Enfields for example),i have seen an extention rudder fixed to outboards for river/canal work but they seemed to be homemade.
Hope this helps

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.arweb.co.uk/argallery/stamfordian>http://www.arweb.co.uk/argallery/stamfordian</A>

the_wanderer

Visit site
Steering withan outboard at low speeds is an art easily learned. You do not need any fancy attachments etc. You just need a brief handfull of throttle at the right time in forward or reverse to do the trick.
Regards. Alan.

<hr width=100% size=1>

chippie

Visit site
I use an outboard to get my trimaran on and off the mooring. I found that having just enough speed to make way as I was approaching the mooring was the best way to get a feel for it. As I became more experienced the point at which I reduced speed came closer and closer to the mooring. I did have the advantage of a forward hand on deck to pick up the mooring ( I always told newbies to get the rope with the boat hook as it was easier to slide down the rope to the buoy.) A shout from the deckhand and I would then cut power once he had a secure hold on it.
When single handing I found it a bit more fraught but would come in slow and cut power as it was bumping down the side towards the cockpit . I always meant to set up a large snap hook arrangement with a line attached for this but never got around to it as i usually have crew.

Sorry for being so long winded.--Good luck

<hr width=100% size=1>