Southampton Boat Show

D

Deleted User YDKXO

As I said earlier, the purpose of the greeting is to ensure that anyone remotely interested in buying a boat are seen by the dealer in the location where they wish to keep it..
Pete, this is the old Fairline gatekeeper system which, frankly, I thought had gone now because it puts a lot of people off, including me. The big problem is (at least in the past) that you always have to wait for 'your' dealer to become available and I was often told in the past that I had to make an appointment to come back when he was available. Well, no thanks, I will decide, not some bimbo on the front desk, whether I want to be shepherded around a boat by a salesman or not. The stupid thing is that the most popular stands such as Sunseeker and Princess don't operate this system and their sales don't seem to suffer as a result

I think some exhibitors should remember that the average punter has paid a lot of money to travel to the show and buy an entrance ticket and they don't deserve to be qualified if they just want to go on to any boat and dream

paul salliss

Visit site
Pete, this is the old Fairline gatekeeper system which, frankly, I thought had gone now because it puts a lot of people off, including me. The big problem is (at least in the past) that you always have to wait for 'your' dealer to become available and I was often told in the past that I had to make an appointment to come back when he was available. Well, no thanks, I will decide, not some bimbo on the front desk, whether I want to be shepherded around a boat by a salesman or not. The stupid thing is that the most popular stands such as Sunseeker and Princess don't operate this system and their sales don't seem to suffer as a result

Well said. I was that guy once. Just roaming and dreaming and have now bought 4 boats in 6 years!! Let people roam and never judge a book by its cover!
I think some exhibitors should remember that the average punter has paid a lot of money to travel to the show and buy an entrance ticket and they don't deserve to be qualified if they just want to go on to any boat and dream

Pinnacle

Visit site

Well said Mike! Princess and Sunseeker could not have been more welcoming - the complete opposite of Fairline.

paul salliss

Visit site
Hard to put my finger on exactly, and it's probably mostly a personal taste thing but i don't think the latest (3 years ago ish?) re-style works. The new style windows in particular don't integrate with the classic hull form, in fact they rather clash with it and I regard the removal of the side door as a retrograde step. The interior layout is nothing special, compared say to the Ellings, I really feel a more fundamental re-think than the Design Unlimited re-style is needed. I also get the distinct feeling that the company is not good at the details nor do they seem that keen on selling boats to today's buyer, and are content to tick over, have you seen their website? I spoke to Geoff on the stand and that interaction did nothing but reinforce my opinions. I do regret I didn't look at the North Line and that might have been an interesting comparison.

You make some good points, and I agree with some of your observations, I like the Seawards, like the North Line a lot as well, but as an all rounder the new Broom 430 would probably be the way I will go, but that's just my view. We are all different, having said that its predecessor the 425 is a cracker

Firefly625

Visit site
This old chestnut always comes up around SIBS time, the snobbery of boat manufacturers and brokers. But it was the sea of princess, fairline & sunseeker staff sporting shiny suits, ray bans and bizarre suede loafers standing chatting to there fake tanned female counterparts that just made me laugh.

Last year the incredibly rude woman sitting in the Aquastar who looked me up and down and threw her eyes into the air probably took the biscuit.. Funny enough I didn't bother looking at the AS this year so she certainly did her job.

...on the other hand the guys on the Seward were lovely. No real surprise there then!

Firefly625

Visit site
You make some good points, and I agree with some of your observations, I like the Seawards, like the North Line a lot as well, but as an all rounder the new Broom 430 would probably be the way I will go, but that's just my view. We are all different, having said that its predecessor the 425 is a cracker

That North Line its an expensive bit of kit... very nice though.

But as a keen member of the Broom Owners Club a 430 would be right up your street Paul!

jimmy_the_builder

Visit site
Are you talking about this year's show? What was your experience?

I'm a big Fairline fan as you know, but I've got to say that compared to Sealine, Sunseeker and Princess, Fairline just aren't getting it right at SIBS. For the other three it was absolutely just walk on the boat; all the boats are staffed, and everyone was welcoming. For the boats that we were interested in, only the V58 (and the 30M, ahem) were barriered off - but everything else was available. At Fairline through *everything* is barriered off, you can't just walk on. I really want Fairline to do well, but they need to get with the programme at the boat show.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

I went yesterday - spoke to the totty, explained I wasn't in need of a dealer and was on the 65 minding my own business in about 4 minutes

Its your natural charm, J. Some of us just don't have it:D

henryf

www.911virgin.com
When I went to see Fairline - oh yes Pete, and be sitting down for my comments, two of the staff were dancing with each other. I was greeted as an old friend - no Pete, they didn't know, and had a long chat on the 53 open before being invited to step aboard the Squadron 65.

At no,point was I offered refreshments though.

The hardest boat to get on was the Monte Carlo Yacht 65. Despite there being 3 members of staff available and no one on the stand I was looked up & down by the girl before having all my details taken down, my measurement checked, a stool sample taken, a urine sample processed and my school reports analysed. Not offended in the slightest I gave the required information and was greeted by Nick Ward who gave me the grand tour and answered any questions I might have had.

I don't mind if people want to send an email afterwards. I've already been invited to the Prestige factory!

What is frustrating is when you want to pop onto a boat as an owner and so potential buyer but are treated as just another person out for a day trip. Is there a solution? I'm not sure there is. My answer was to go on Monday & Tuesday when I knew there wouldn't be mad queues. In truth if you make yourself known to a member of staff on the stands they will generally find someone to chaperone you and whisk you pass those just enjoying a day out.

As a long standing owner I know some people on the stands. Sunseeker is a good example. The manhattan 52 was understandably busy but the guys from Sunseeker Torquay who seem to have adopted me as a project were on hand so Tom Wills said hello and beckoned me aboard.

Henry :)

D

Deleted User YDKXO

I hate being herded and that whole thing detracts from the show's appeal. When I left I walked up the "wrong" bridge from the pontoons to the terra firma part and the security guards yelled at me not to but I ignored them.
I really really get pissed off about that too. Good to see that some affirmative action overcomes the silly security. Why do they do it? Its only in the last 3-4yrs that they've started this. Some high up must have been to Ikea

Anyway, the thing about Fairline that most struck me was their future designs. Not just vapourware - these are designs with plans and timelines to build them. For the sector I'm interested in, their new 80-something footer was truly outstanding. Mancini is an incredibly smart guy.
Yup the new Mancini designs we were shown during the Fairline factory tour looked gorgeous providing of course Fairline can translate them effectively into plastic. Definitely ahead of the other Brit competition if they can pull it off. Sounds like a great opportunity for an experienced hands owner to get involved in the development of a new model;)

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
When I went to see Fairline - oh yes Pete, and be sitting down for my comments, two of the staff were dancing with each other. I was greeted as an old friend - no Pete, they didn't know, and had a long chat on the 53 open before being invited to step aboard the Squadron 65.

At no,point was I offered refreshments though.

I'm glad they looked after you Henry. Did they give you one of their nice memory stick brochures?

The odd thing is the girls didn't even bother taking my name at the Fairline stand. They must have taken one look at me and written me off as a lost cause (which unfortunately is a pretty accurate assessment)! I didn't wait to be offered refreshments, I just walked into the marquee thing and ordered a coffee. Nobody seemed to bat an eyelid. In fact there seemed to be quite a party going on in there, so perhaps there are even bolder blaggers than me.

Incidentally, the Jeanneau stand (I think) was also behind barriers and again I just walked on.

Anyhow Henry, enough talk of the Fairline stand, when are we going to get your review of the show and the boats on display?

paul salliss

Visit site
This old chestnut always comes up around SIBS time, the snobbery of boat manufacturers and brokers. But it was the sea of princess, fairline & sunseeker staff sporting shiny suits, ray bans and bizarre suede loafers standing chatting to there fake tanned female counterparts that just made me laugh.

Last year the incredibly rude woman sitting in the Aquastar who looked me up and down and threw her eyes into the air probably took the biscuit.. Funny enough I didn't bother looking at the AS this year so she certainly did her job.

...on the other hand the guys on the Seward were lovely. No real surprise there then!

James. You are touching on a thought process re my constant state of confusion with the fake tan brigade. I came to a clear conclusion as I have said in here before ( it did not go down well but hey ho) but that whole scene does not fit the ever changing, windy , often cold and general climate of GB. They are selling a boat that does not fit with GB boating very well in my humble opinion, for example when I see a large sun pad at the aft section of a boat, I just think.......why?

If it was the Med......well that is a whole different story, spent six summers in Puerto Banus on board a boat so I know that scene fairly well

Time Out

Visit site
Suntanned as they are erm ... suntanned. Most live in the med ( or sim) and are shipped in for the show.

Have a closer look at the factory staff or U.K. Based sales staff. Not quite so tanned .... the med dress code is different for a reason. You need to feel comfortable in the heat. And as for the shoes ?

Someone say Tods?

Whitelighter

Visit site
I am genuinly stunned that people get worked up by what others are wearing.
Is this some sort of inverted snobbery? I cant tell you what any of the boat dealers were wearing (OK, I think the sunseeker guy who had a chat with me about the M52 was wearing a blue shirt, but I cant be certain).

aquapower

Visit site
The hardest boat to get on was the Monte Carlo Yacht 65. Despite there being 3 members of staff available and no one on the stand I was looked up & down by the girl before having all my details taken down, my measurement checked, a stool sample taken, a urine sample processed and my school reports analysed. Not offended in the slightest I gave the required information and was greeted by Nick Ward who gave me the grand tour and answered any questions I might have had.

As a long standing owner I know some people on the stands. Sunseeker is a good example. The manhattan 52 was understandably busy but the guys from Sunseeker Torquay who seem to have adopted me as a project were on hand so Tom Wills said hello and beckoned me aboard.

Henry :)

I 100% agree with the above, we walked up to the Monte Carlo stand Monday morning, thee was no one on any of their boats so I asked if was ok to look a on any of them, I was told I need to take down your details as its appointment only, I said again I only wanted to look and walked away, I did not really want to add to my list of junc mail senders.

I wish more could be as welcoming as Tom Wills.