Southampton Boat Show

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
Just got back from a great day at the Southampton Boat Show.

Highlights were....

Sunseeker 52 - a well designed boat in pretty much every way. Really like the (Ferretti style) galley aft and bar / counter to cockpit (even if the two bar stools are a £3k extra). There was no access to the side decks / bow so coldn;t suss out the new seating area. So much headroom in the master cabin that I could hardly touch the ceiling. As others have said it does look a bit top heavy. Only other real criticism was diddy the Fridge / Freezer that wouldn't have looked out of place in a student's bedsit.

Forward titling helm seat smacked a little of desperation to pack in more gadgets.

Sealine 530 - really interesting and spacious feeling saloon with floor to ceiling glass. It was my non-boaty mate's favourite boat. Glass might cause some issues in the Med but the side doors will at least allow some air to pass through the saloon. Quality wise seemed to sit between Jeanneau and Princess / SS / F'line. Anyhow, great to see Sealine at the show and bringing additional competition to the market.

Fairline Targa 53 Open - a lovely machine. A real party boat and I particularly liked the styling. It was my first time inside a Targa 53 and I can honestly say that I wouldn't be put off by the infamous low ceiling in the mid cabin. What people often forget is that there is a very large lobby area to this cabin with a dressing table so you don't need to stoop when getting changed. And the ceiling height is certainly no worse than the SS San Remo. Boat is selling well too.

The lobby to the master cabin (this is my 6ft mate not me).

Jeanneau Prestige ?? - Seemed like a nicely designed boat and I particularly liked the separate stairway from the saloon to the owners cabin. But detailing left a bit to be desired (yes that really is unfinished ply, albeit in a cupboard).

And a nasty looking walls / panel in the ceiling of the heads. I guess these are the compromises for the low price.

Overall

The Sunseeker stand was an impressive piece of engineering and the staff were as laid back as ever. We 'did' SS first and were glad to have done so as queues were long in the afternoon.

Princess had a fair number of boats on display and a large VIP room. The Princess 49 is a very nice boat (and has a proper fridge / freezer) but feels a lot smaller than the SS 53. Had a chat with Nick Barke who was on top form as ever and kindly offered me a loan of their Cala D'Or Rib when I'm over there.

Fairline had just three boats on display plus the Sq 65 (with a new hardtop and interior ) which is on its way back from Cannes as we speak (due tomorrow I think). All the guys were there (Russell, Carl, Miles, Martin) and were in good spirits having had their most successful Cannes show ever. Had a nice chat with a certain forumite who will no doubt post his own observations of 'new' Fairline.

Overall the show looked to be in excellent health with a massive variety of boats on display and lots of visitors.

Hopefully Henry will be along to post some decent pics.

Last edited:

rafiki_

Visit site
Thanks Pete. We are looking forward to visiting next Friday. I wasn't overly impressed with the fit out on the Pestige at LIBS. Do like the new MC hull Windows. Followed one up the Hamble last Sunday, carrying the French flag. Moored in Port Hamble, so I assumed on route to SIBS?

aquapower

Visit site
Done all the land based stuff yesterday and had a look on all the above today except the Fairline, as usual the girls were not keen on visitors so walked on, will try again tomorrow or Monday when I can see dealer who I know.

The best for me and SWMBO was the Sealine, lots of great features, also liked the Prestige, and the Prestige salesman was the most friendly and knew all about what he was selling.

petem

Done all the land based stuff yesterday and had a look on all the above today except the Fairline, as usual the girls were not keen on visitors so walked on, will try again tomorrow or Monday when I can see dealer who I know.

The best for me and SWMBO was the Sealine, lots of great features, also liked the Prestige, and the Prestige salesman was the most friendly and knew all about what he was selling.

It's a real shame that your were put off entering the stand. If there are girls at reception they are there simply to understand if there is a particular boat that you are interested in and where you might wish to keep a boat in order so that the dealer from the correct location can assist you if required. You won't be asked 20 questions (3 questions max). If you don't want to give them your details then just say you're there to have a look around. The desk is not there to put anyone off and people shouldn't feel intimidated by it. I was assured today by their marketing director that everyone is welcome. Honestly, they don't bite!

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
^^ This is my experience too. I went in September 2006, so 10 years ago, with £750k to spend on a new boat. (times now rather different sady ... :( ) anyway, the barrier of totty in front of the boats over about 500k and the challenge of getting onto boats that would have been contenders, unfettered by time constraints, was quite an eye opener. Just pre-crash. All too cosy in my view.

Cashbuyer

Visit site
Had a good long day on Friday- not too many people, no pushchairs and unfettered access to plenty of boats. Concentrated on small independents this year and it was so refreshing to be a part of their passion for their products. Loved the Korvet from Holland and the company owner talked us through every detail and how he may improve things. He is very enthusiastic and rightly so. Loved the Targas and the finish and detailing.
Quite a few gaps on the pontoons which looked a bit poor. Perhaps some late arrivals due.
Thought the Broom 30 was possibly the most bland boat on show. Why so much grey and white, everywhere? Go and look at Marex guys and see how to make a small boat interesting with texture and finishes.
Guinness need a refund on their stand position and surroundings- security fences, car parks and being shoved in a corner do not make for atmosphere or am I missing Earls Court...
Avoid buying a coffee from a Cafe Creperie- possibly the worst cappuccino and hot chocolate we have ever had the displeasure of tasting. And their Pastries feel like a few days old already.
Park at West Quay shopping for £5 all day and its short walk to the main entrance.

Time Out

Visit site
The Guinness bar has been in that corner for years. Guinness proper have not done it for years, way over 10 .... you do know Earls Court has finally been levelled. At long last !

I also went Friday and unsurprisingly few push chairs given it was a weekday.

Besides new parents don't buy boats .... just ask Princess ;)

For me it was the first time in over twenty years as a visitor. I thoroughly enjoyed it but even after enjoying the hospitality on many stands it was not a cheap day !

Not in the market for a boat so did not look on many however having looked aboard a 100m + explorer yacht last week nothing else's would come close !

petem

^^ This is my experience too. I went in September 2006, so 10 years ago, with £750k to spend on a new boat. (times now rather different sady ... :( ) anyway, the barrier of totty in front of the boats over about 500k and the challenge of getting onto boats that would have been contenders, unfettered by time constraints, was quite an eye opener. Just pre-crash. All too cosy in my view.

As I said earlier, the purpose of the greeting is to ensure that anyone remotely interested in buying a boat are seen by the dealer in the location where they wish to keep it. Fairline would prefer that to having buyers wandering aimlessly around the stand looking for the most appropriate person to help them. It is not designed as an attempt to vet the people they allow on the stand (otherwise they'd have stopped letting me in years ago)! At the end of the day, they are there to show the boats off. They're effectively a start-up albeit one with a great head start) and are immensely proud of their boats and what they've achieved in such a small a space of time (which is only 9 months).

If anyone does have any questions or feedback (positive of negative) then the senior management team are there all week and are always happy yo discuss the products (in particular the new 53's, the 63 GTO and the revised Sq65), service or just boating in general.

benjenbav

Visit site
It's a real shame that your were put off entering the stand. If there are girls at reception they are there simply to understand if there is a particular boat that you are interested in ... Honestly, they don't bite!

Don't think I'll bother, in that case. :D

[2068]

Visit site
I'm really not seeing the problem with having a short chat with a very presentable lady, talking about boats for a couple of minutes.

MapisM

Visit site
Well, if I understand correctly what BJB is saying, someone might have a problem in having ONLY a short chat with her.... :p

petem

Very perceptive MapisM! And here they are...

CsoQWFoWYAEdOG8.jpg:large

Anyhow, that's enough talk about the Fairline stand, what did others think of the boats on display?

Nordhavn 52, Elling E6, Beneteau Swift Trawler, perhaps?

Last edited:

MapisM

Visit site
Nordhavn 52
I bet she was on display in the water and not on the hard, right?
As much as I like Nordhavns in general, and I'd gladly buy a 52 if I could, I must say that I really hate the shortcuts they got used to take lately for introducing new/longer models, just by making the hull mould longer at the stern, without repositioning the e/r and shaft.
The pic below (taken from their own website!) says it all, really... :ambivalence:
3.jpg

petem

I bet she was on display in the water and not on the hard, right?
As much as I like Nordhavns in general, and I'd gladly buy a 52 if I could, I must say that I really hate the shortcuts they got used to take lately for introducing new/longer models, just by making the hull mould longer at the stern, without repositioning the e/r and shaft.
The pic below (taken from their own website!) says it all, really... :ambivalence:
3.jpg

Yep, she was in the water. I imagine that most of us have the romantic dream of world cruising but I just couldn't bring myself to spend time in an all wood interior. Perhaps I'm too young or just a philistine.

Not quite the same but the Ellings may be more to my taste (shame they didn't have an E3 at the show, only and E4 and an E6 that both looked like impressive machines.