Southampton Boat Show

benjenbav

Visit site
Yep, she was in the water. I imagine that most of us have the romantic dream of world cruising but I just couldn't bring myself to spend time in an all wood interior. Perhaps I'm too young or just a philistine.

Not quite the same but the Ellings may be more to my taste (shame they didn't have an E3 at the show, only and E4 and an E6 that both looked like impressive machines.

In all seriousness, in many ways I would love a world-girdling boat, and I fully understand the reasons many have largish m/ys but for me I think my upcoming needs are going to be best met by having a waterfront apartment plus a dayboat to basically mess around in. I say this in part because anything less than 20m is not going to have as much room in aggregate as I have gotten used to having in my kitchen and so what's the point unless for romantic ventures far away from the home port...which for me is prevented by family disinclination. Horses for courses, I guess.

MapisM

Visit site
I just couldn't bring myself to spend time in an all wood interior.
Perhaps I'm too young or just a philistine.
Sorry to disenchant you P, but it's rather the latter than the first. :D
Which is a shame btw, 'cause there's this Akhir 22 which I was thinking to buy, and where I would have gladly invited you to spend some time....
...if it weren't that she has an all wood interior! :cool:
5124865_20150831024906469_1_LARGE.jpg

5124865_20150907031749776_1_LARGE.jpg

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
Sorry to disenchant you P, but it's rather the latter than the first. :D
Which is a shame btw, 'cause there's this Akhir 22 which I was thinking to buy, and where I would have gladly invited you to spend some time....
...if it weren't that she has an all wood interior! :cool:
5124865_20150831024906469_1_LARGE.jpg

5124865_20150907031749776_1_LARGE.jpg

But at least that Akhir doesn't have a wood floor and ceiling! In fact it looks very nice.

Poecheng

Visit site
As I said earlier, the purpose of the greeting is to ensure that anyone remotely interested in buying a boat are seen by the dealer in the location where they wish to keep it. Fairline would prefer that to having buyers wandering aimlessly around the stand looking for the most appropriate person to help them. It is not designed as an attempt to vet the people they allow on the stand (otherwise they'd have stopped letting me in years ago)! At the end of the day, they are there to show the boats off. They're effectively a start-up albeit one with a great head start) and are immensely proud of their boats and what they've achieved in such a small a space of time (which is only 9 months).

If anyone does have any questions or feedback (positive of negative) then the senior management team are there all week and are always happy yo discuss the products (in particular the new 53's, the 63 GTO and the revised Sq65), service or just boating in general.

Just a little, inconsequential anecdote that chimes with the above.
Towards the back end of August and at the end of our hols we berthed in Ipswich Haven (to meet Paul the Fridge the next day) and had a nice supper at the restaurant. We were served v. late so what I relate took place at about 10.30pm or later.
Went for a wander towards the lock and came across the Fairline shed and their berths - all was lit up and work was being done on a large boat by a number of chaps. Then a couple of chaps came out of the shed and we greeted each other (it was otherwise dark and no one else around and we were obviously interested) We fell into conversation about what was going on - it was getting the boat ready for her handover and seatrials the following day. These guys gave the impression of being the foremen and knew we were raggies from what we said.
They could not have been more pleasant and informative and knew boat construction backwards (answering my questions) and gave the impression of being in no hurry or that we were a nuisance - and yet they had a boat to finish and it was going to be an all-nighter probably. We probably discussed the boat and her construction for about 15m (which is a lot in the circs) and left impressed with them as unwitting ambassadors of the brand and the obvious care that they - local chaps - put into their boats and their pride in their product.
As said, fairly inconsequential but decisions can be influenced by small things. They seemed decent chaps that were working very hard to make it perfect for the new owner at handover. Had we been some sort of undercover customer we would have been very pleased with what we heard and saw.
I will get back to me rags now :encouragement:

longjohnsilver

Visit site
But at least that Akhir doesn't have a wood floor and ceiling! In fact it looks very nice.

I love having loads of wood inside a boat,spent a week on a Nordy 62 and that certainly didn't have wood ceilings. Are you saying that the Nordy at SIBs has an ALL wood interior?

MapisM

Visit site
No clue about the 52 which is being debated, but I've seen several Nordies, and fwiw all of them had wooden inserts+handrails in the ceilings, with white(ish) panels between them.
So, white is definitely prevailing, but the inserts might contribute to the woody feeling, I guess...
...Which I very much like, personally - as well as the parquet floor, but each to their own, of course.

KevB

Visit site
Went to the show on Saturday and fell in love with the Sealine S450, what and amazing boat and great staff at the show, very polite and accommodating. Sunseeker where their usual friendly self and stunning boats. Not sure why Fairline and Princess need to make you feel unworthy viewing their boats, the silly office setup and access to the boats is all wrong so we didn't bother. All other brands were open and easy to access with just a friendly smile. Fairline and Princess need to rethink their Gestapo attitude.

Didn't buy anything of value but got my sights on next boat....

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
Went to the show on Saturday and fell in love with the Sealine S450, what and amazing boat and great staff at the show, very polite and accommodating. Sunseeker where their usual friendly self and stunning boats. Not sure why Fairline and Princess need to make you feel unworthy viewing their boats, the silly office setup and access to the boats is all wrong so we didn't bother. All other brands were open and easy to access with just a friendly smile. Fairline and Princess need to rethink their Gestapo attitude.

Didn't buy anything of value but got my sights on next boat....

See posts #4 and #11.

What did you make of the Sealine F530 kev?

KevB

Visit site
Is it any different to the SC42 of a few years ago?

Essentially the same boat by the looks of it. If I ever bought one I'd knock a couple of feet off the bathing platform and save myself a bit of mooring cost. That was my only real criticism of the boat.

The Mrs says if I can get a deal and only spend £100k plus ours I can have one. Just need to find someone to pay 4 x over the odds for mine...

Firefly625

Visit site
Daughter and I went yesterday. Had a good day. Bought clever folding teak table for cockpit, managed to get bargain Zwaardvis table support to bolt onto it which will fit in our zwaardvis base already in our cockpit, also treated ourselves to new lifejackets, impressed with how much smaller the latest lifejackets are now. Lunched in Holiday inn RYA area as normal, had a drink at MDL hospitality centre. I may have found our new boat, which TBH has been rather mystifying me for a while as our Mitchell has rather confused previous thoughts, so now nice to see something I have a real desire to own. Watched army parachute team float down, went over all the boats we wanted to, not many I did. Surprise of the day was the Sargo 36, what a nice package, just a blooming shame its not on shafts. Very taken with AB Lammina inflatable rib tenders, aluminium hull & hypalon tubes, 2.76m dinghy which would be perfect for us just 36kg, a really nice bit of kit!

.. all in all a good day out.

paul salliss

Visit site
Daughter and I went yesterday. Had a good day. Bought clever folding teak table for cockpit, managed to get bargain Zwaardvis table support to bolt onto it which will fit in our zwaardvis base already in our cockpit, also treated ourselves to new lifejackets, impressed with how much smaller the latest lifejackets are now. Lunched in Holiday inn RYA area as normal, had a drink at MDL hospitality centre. I may have found our new boat, which TBH has been rather mystifying me for a while as our Mitchell has rather confused previous thoughts, so now nice to see something I have a real desire to own. Watched army parachute team float down, went over all the boats we wanted to, not many I did. Surprise of the day was the Sargo 36, what a nice package, just a blooming shame its not on shafts. Very taken with AB Lammina inflatable rib tenders, aluminium hull & hypalon tubes, 2.76m dinghy which would be perfect for us just 36kg, a really nice bit of kit!

.. all in all a good day out.

Hi James. Is that Sargo another Botnia Targa type of thing??