Single hand a Jeanneau 409/419?

dune16

www.noforeignland.com
Thanks for positive comments all :) I'm buying from Clarke & Carter so will be initially basing the boat on the east coast and maybe after a season will move down to the south. Coppercoat is on the list to check the costs on. Very excited!

Ref windlass control back to the cockpit, splash out on these ; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-Heavy...687044?hash=item4b04990f84:g:oDwAAOSwWfFXkKAK

Not exactly waterproof, but if you don't drop it in the drink it should last years.

Looks like a good option, thanks!

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
Last year I (and some others) had a problem with C&C being unable to secure lift in to the water as the boat yard were at full stretch launching berth holders' boats.

Probably worth checking if your launch date coincides with the usual lift in or out dates

Uricanejack

Visit site
Just an update. After a visit to Southampton boat show yesterday and sleeping on things overnight I have now done a deal on a 2017 Jeanneau 389 for delivery in March. I decided to go with traditional slab main (all lines led back to cockpit) rather than in-mast, fin keel, single spade rudder, bow thruster, autopilot with wireless remote and will also be looking to retrofit (not an option from factory) a remote back to cockpit for the electric windlass. I also have an RYA instructor organised for own boat tuition and have signed up for day skipper theory. I know some of you think its madness, but sod it, you only live once ;)

Of course its Madness, buying a boat and a nice shinny new one to boot. Its always madness.
Enjoy it.
You only live once.

ashtead

Visit site
Best wishes on your new boat Dune. Great excitement having taken the plunge and every new boat seems daunting . I don't know if you have considered VHF yet but on our new boat last year we had a second handset at Helm which even though there are 2 of us on board is a great plus over just having a speaker in cockpit and might be a help for single handing . I believe Raymarine is standard fit on jeaneau as we did look at them so maybe you have this already though . Useful to be able to call up others from helm when crossing channel for example.

westhinder

Visit site
Just an update. After a visit to Southampton boat show yesterday and sleeping on things overnight I have now done a deal on a 2017 Jeanneau 389 for delivery in March. I decided to go with traditional slab main (all lines led back to cockpit) rather than in-mast, fin keel, single spade rudder, bow thruster, autopilot with wireless remote and will also be looking to retrofit (not an option from factory) a remote back to cockpit for the electric windlass. I also have an RYA instructor organised for own boat tuition and have signed up for day skipper theory. I know some of you think its madness, but sod it, you only live once ;)
Well done, best of luck!

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
... have considered VHF yet but on our new boat last year we had a second handset at Helm which even though there are 2 of us on board is a great plus over just having a speaker in cockpit and might be a help for single handing ........
Even worse is a single VHF set down below eg at chart table with nothing at cockpit / helm , completely utterly useless. Featured on a charter boat we had this year.

dune16

www.noforeignland.com
The included Ray 50 VHF set doesn't support a 2nd station. What I had planned to do (bearing in mind I am not going to be straying far from the coastline for a fair while) is have a handheld VHF (such as Standard Horizon HX870E) in the cockpit with me. In the future I can then look to upgrade the built in VHF unit for one (such as Ray 60) that supports the 2nd station in the cockpit. It's something I will bring up again with the dealer when we go over the contract details.

Bi111ion

Visit site
The included Ray 50 VHF set doesn't support a 2nd station. What I had planned to do (bearing in mind I am not going to be straying far from the coastline for a fair while) is have a handheld VHF (such as Standard Horizon HX870E) in the cockpit with me. In the future I can then look to upgrade the built in VHF unit for one (such as Ray 60) that supports the 2nd station in the cockpit. It's something I will bring up again with the dealer when we go over the contract details.

It is good to have a handheld as a back up but it doesnt have the range. I only use the radio below when it is to noisy on deck. I would say second station near the helm is now considered standard equipment, and one below is an optional extra. Mine is a Standard Horizon with built in AIS and the remote is a handy AIS display which I am checking all the time in busy shipping lanes ... advantage of it being part of the radio is that you can select an MMSI to call easily.

dune16

www.noforeignland.com
So as well as 2nd VHF station I will be going Coppercoat. I also now need to (need to keep the family happy!) have a TV so think I'll get something like the small Glomex aerial put at the top of the mast during commissioning. Also I seem to be talking myself into adding the Raymarine Quantum radar from the outset (just needs 12v and then uses wifi to sync with MFD), certainly don't need it right away but figure its one of those things that will be far easier to install while the mast is down rather than revisiting at a later date?

Bi111ion

Visit site
I must admit I bought the Glomex and a 12v TV while ago and not fitted it. Family members seem happy to watch Netflix when in a harbour with a descent wifi. I could do with one of those wifi extenders though like the ones Digital Yacht sell.