Single hand a Jeanneau 409/419?

dune16

www.noforeignland.com
Just thought I'd post a quick update to this thread to re-assure newbies to the yachthing world that it is possible to buy and learn to sail a larger boat, it doesn't have to end in tears. I've now owned Dune (Jeanneau 389) since March 2017 and what a great boat she is. I have to say a massive thanks to my friend Dave (TangaraToo on here) for being such an amazing teacher when it comes to all things to do with sailing big boats. We've done a fair few miles around the East coast on her now and a couple of months ago I did a bareboat charter (as skipper) in Croatia for a week with my girlfriend and some friends on another 389.... all without issue (nobody drowned and I didn't sink the boat). The Croatia trip however has now got me the bug for having a boat in warmer waters so the plan now is to sell Dune and buy something slightly bigger (having had a look around the Southampton boat show I am pretty much sold on the new Dufour 430 GL) and base it somewhere in the med. I'll surely have lots of questions to those that keep boats in the med and will start another thread for that.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 36384

Interesting. How do you manage to go below to complete simple tasks for 15 minutes when running, or with a beam sea in say F6 with no autohelm?

Nothing really interesting about it, rather bland, I have to heave to in the conditions you describe, even for a minute or so.