Priming engine after fuel filter change

DAKA

Visit site
banghead.gif

tinkicker0

Visit site
Not sure how common rail engines or even bleeding engines come into this thread, thought is was about bleedin filters not engines, too much whacky baccy out there I think.

Common rail motors have two systems, both must have fuel filters fitted dry. Volvo set up has quill shaft driven pump on the back of the Bosch CP3 pump, and has pump on the on the filter head. The quill shaft driven pump sucks for England and I have seen them suck the guts out of a filter if restricted, and they WILL find the smallest air leak if numpty nuts has not taken care during a filter change.

The Cummins Marine way is an electric lift pump, you fit filters dry key on and pump sucks through filters priming them. Once engine is running pump just marks time as it is on PWM signal.

Common rail fuel system as mentioned by another poster are TOTALLY self bleeding and comment regarding fuel pipes is 100%, Delphi high pressure lines require total replacement if cracked open. Big$$

I spent a year working with a supplier trying to design the low pressure side of a common rail engine, fire resistant plastic pipes (How does that square with BSS) with real neat single use fittings at the ends requiring replacement of pipe if removed. Overheard two tec's talking one day complaining bitterly about MY end fittings ' stupid design took me over two hours to get them off without breaking them, customer kicked up hell etc' never said a word, tec had me beaten!

I am a squeeze bulb fanatic, why people become so anal regarding a squeeze bulb on a blind loop not a clue. Have visions of boat owner with dead motor desparately trying to change clogged filter being driven on to lee shore and taking comfort that his system meets the BSS.

Ho hum

Make that 3 techies. Bleedin rail fuel return and filter supply tubes has me in fits as there must be 100s of different set ups. Even Cummins Quickserve gets it wrong sometimes.

Voss is a dirty word in the TK household. :p