Honda BF 2.3D

barnicaljohn77

Visit site
My engine will only run with the choke fully out whether at idle or at cruising revs. I've cleaned it thoroughly without solving the problem.I have a couple of questions someone may have an answer for;
At cruising revs, does the fuel supply bypass the mixture screw? ( and slow running jet ).

Are there small drippings in the fuel supply that can only be cleared by compressed air?
Both jets are correct and clean, and the supply line and tank are clean. I am using new fuel.
The mixture screw has a tab that stops it from turning, and yet the spring behind it seems under no pressure. Does this mean it cannot be altered?

Last edited:

Boathook

Visit site
If it won't tick over the idle jet isn’t fully clean. The main jet controlled by the float could be sticking.
With the idle jet take it out and look through it towards light. The slightest bit of muck will mean it won't look 100% round. If you aren't sure its round it has muck in it.

barnicaljohn77

Visit site
Thanks Boathook, I did clean the jets, and the float looks alright. But I'm still mystified as the engine won't run on any revs, idling , or at speed, without choke. I will put in New jets and try that.

Bouba

Visit site
What about the air filter?….also check if there is air getting into the system from a hole in a hose or carb gasket etc

barnicaljohn77

Visit site
Thanks Bouba, I think I will have to strip it down again and check as you say for air leaks. I'm ordering new jets and gaskets today. Hopefully in a week or so I can try it again. I'll post the outcome .

jamie N

Visit site
This might help your problem? Post #14 is very thorough.
I did see that you've covered this, but it might add to your knowledge in the future.

Seastoke

Visit site
Just clean your jets again but also clean where the jets go and one more use new petrol . They are a shit engine.

jamie N

Visit site
I disagree with Seastoke, but from a slightly different view perhaps.
I've always found it to be very efficient and reliable, although I've also suffered with this carb. problem which can be avoided by assiduously emptying the carb.
However, at the moment, I've just bought a GK24 with a Mercury 4hp in place. It's basically a re-badged Tohatsu, so will be a decent motor. The previous owner hadn't drained the carb when the boat was laid up last winter, so on launching last week, it was U/S with old fuel & clogged carb.
If it had been the Honda, I'd have easily been able to take it off of the transom, and fix the carb. but not so with the Mercury as it's double the weight @26kgs, which is 'just' outside of being able to do it in a guaranteed safe fashion for a guy in his late 60's, so I've handed over the problem to a local engineer, who's busy and "getting around to it".
It'll happen in the end, and it'll be a good repair.
The lightness of the BF2.3 is such an advantage, more so than the extra 1.7hp perhaps.

Last edited:

Bouba

Visit site
The other advantage of the Honda is that it’s air cooled.....imagine you are trying to get off the beach in a strong surf...every time you get the boat into deep enough water, by the time you’ve started the motor....you have been washed back on the beach....the Honda can be started with the boat out the water, so once you have pushed the boat out, you have instant power from the motor to drive (or reverse) you into deeper water

barnicaljohn77

Visit site
Thanks to all of you. But I'm still a bit mystified with this idle mixture screw though. I accept that it's set by Honda when built, but the screw on mine seems very tight, and I don't want to force it, but the spring behind it is loose. Doesn't seem logical really, surely the spring is designed to keep the screw in position. Being loose makes me wonder if the setting has been tampered with.

Hot Property

Visit site
The competition are all water cooled so are definitely quieter....and two horse power is two horse power. For me, Honda has always been a byword for reliability

The power of dreams apparently....

I've had new 135 and 100 HP Hondas and they are totally reliable.

barnicaljohn77

Visit site
I'm considering replacing the idle mixture screw on my Honda 2.3 carburetter,( no .6 on the drawing). Can anyone tell me the best way without damaging it? Thanks.

Seastoke

Visit site
When we had a tool hire firm ,Honda was amazing , but the 2.3 bag of shit. Parts rusting away after 2 years . Bin it and buy a two stroke.

Bouba

Visit site
At the end of the day, you can always take it in to a Honda service center....there’s only a limit to how much they can charge to fix what is not an expensive item

Milgrip

Visit site
I'm considering replacing the idle mixture screw on my Honda 2.3 carburetter,( no .6 on the drawing). Can anyone tell me the best way without damaging it? Thanks.
The best way is to remove the carburettor, ensure the fuel is completely drained and vapour free. Using a large soldering iron place the hot tip on the mixture screw tamper proof cap and melt the solder securing the cap. The cap will then easily come away giving you access to the mixture screw. No need for a new mixture screw unless the existing one is damaged. Note that small soldering irons may not be powerful enough to melt the solder. If you are desperate and very careful, a red hot blunt tip 6 inch nail and a pair of insulated pliers may work just as well
Those tamper proof mixture screws were set to run lean to comply with E.U emissions.