Pets on board

chris-s

Visit site
Fifteen, deaf and poor peripheral vision but still loves it on the boat, sadly no longer with his sister.

IMG_0504.jpeg

We got them both toilet trained to use a piece of artificial turf.

Underway they both just sleep in the cockpit, regardless of what’s going on.

IMG_0506.jpeg

kingsebi

Visit site
Poor fellow. Too much drink? I always wonder about cats falling overboard. In her first nine months mine never did. That said when we sail she has a harness, like myself. And when the weather is bad she hides in bed. But we are mostly at anchor and nothing ever happened. Does it happen to other cats regularly? How do they come back on board?

Bouba

Visit site
My dog is on board right now…he has his own bedroom and is extremely comfortable…I won’t disturb him with flash photography 😀

Bouba

Visit site
My dog went overboard once…despite me telling him a thousand times not to turn around on the passerelle but go to the end get off and come back…he turned around lost his footing and in he went…I fished him out.
Unfortunately, his legs are getting weaker and more unsteady..,so the confidence we used to have with him using the passerelle has evaporated and now we monitor his comings and goings. While we are underway he stays on the couch or in his bed

Stingo

Visit site
There are two things that I do:
  • My boarding ladder stays down (my cat is more important than the weed etc that grows within a nanosecond)
  • I have an old, manky towel draped over the boarding ladder.
Will post a photo tomorrow.

In terms of too much to drink? Yes, that was probably me, again

Last edited:

kingsebi

Visit site
@kingsebi I also have a harness for my cooking fat, but have failed completely in every attempt to put it on her. She wins that fight every time, leaving me with several claw marks on my arms.

How did you manage to get the harness onto your cat?

Sound advice about the boarding ladder and towel. Looking forward to the picture. I still wonder: If cooking fat falls over at the bow, does she swim back the ten meters to the boarding ladder?

I got Mimi when she was only four weeks old. I fed her with milk from a syringe and now she thinks I’m her mother. I think that gives me some (not much) authority. That said when I first put the harness on her she was not amused. Later she got used to it. I attach pictures. The only trouble is that she gets tangled up everywhere and then I have to free her again, which can add some stress in situations that are already stressful. But then if she fell overboard while sailing I don’t think that I could get back to her in time and that would be too sad.

She has lived on anchor for the first eighth months of her life and has just discovered the port (I took her to the beach sometimes before) and other cats, dogs and people. Now the boat is out of the water and I was a little worried, but I think for her it’s just another anchorage. This time with concrete instead of water. That reminds me that I should go to bed. More sanding tomorrow…

Attachments

• A410B48F-B167-416F-B59F-E13A3F03683F.jpeg
    A410B48F-B167-416F-B59F-E13A3F03683F.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 20
  • EBF25403-F238-4BB9-86CE-EE5E96467D07.jpeg
    EBF25403-F238-4BB9-86CE-EE5E96467D07.jpeg
    192.2 KB · Views: 17

Sianna

Visit site
We can't keep our little dog off the boat / kayak / towable, as long as she's near water she seems really happy, its makes boat ownership much easier when you don't need to get back for the dog. :)

648efb7b-9379-496e-a4db-8e0ba6e3fc8c.jpg

ef06e172-bec1-44eb-b36b-a4fd35c47a2f.jpg

a1f02d7b-1cce-479b-90d2-f3cc454030a9.jpg

44b23b29-ac3d-472e-bdfe-a16b04266213.jpg

IMG_8151 2.jpeg

Trident

Visit site
As a cat parent on a boat it's truly heart warming to see how many people make real efforts to care for their companions and give them a good environment. Some folks I have hugely disagreed with and disliked in the days when we had political discussions on here seem devoted to their animals, which in my book means that they must be good people and their views on matters never to be discussed on this sailing forum (probably a good thing) are very secondary . Sadly many people who care for animals do a poor job and many see them as disposable toys but the people here see them rightly as family and having recently lost one of my cats to lymphoma despite every possible effort, cost and avenue to save her it really does my heart good to see.