Panic! Do I need a courtesy flag for Wales?

C

Chrusty 1

There in lies the problem they seem to like to whinge. best they stay home and lock the doors or the nasty world will get them. Glad you enjoyed it in Wales. I often think such people would like to eradicate all other cultures and live in the bubble lol. What part did u live in were up the mountains by Rhyd ddu?:)

I lived in Prestatyn, Penmaenmawr and Conwy. It seems a very long time ago now.........

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
I am half Welsh. (My father was welsh and the family farmed near Abergavenny for many years.) Actually I am more than half - as some grandparents on my mothers side were welsh as well as far as I know.

I am proud that my father (who died nearly thirty years ago) at least taught me the Welsh National Anthem in Welsh. Despite having to read services in Welsh and learning a bit, I don't really speak welsh at all (except for a few phrases) yet I have always been received with nothing but politeness and helpfulness in Wales.

However its the subject of courtesy flags that I wanted to comment on.

When I was cruising North the other week we stopped at several places in the Principality. I thought it would be polite (and a nice gesture) to fly a Welsh flag as a courtesy flag. Milford Haven Chandlers didn't have one. Neither did Pwllelhi, finally at Holyhead, I asked in the chandlers and was told I was the third person to ask for one that day - but no he didn't sell them either.

I gave up.

I did manage to buy a Scottish flag in the Isle of Man which we dutifully flew as we entered Scottish waters.

Ru88ell

Visit site
Anyway, as the OP for this topic can I move it on? Do I need a Saint Piran's Flag for my trip to Padstow in June? :D

Tryweryn

Visit site
Good point john if more asked more places would sell them. Trace your family tree John prob some great roots there.

I think it is nice to fly the flag of cornwall, barra or anywhere that has one. Doesnt half break the ice.:eek:

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
When I was cruising North the other week we stopped at several places in the Principality. I thought it would be polite (and a nice gesture) to fly a Welsh flag as a courtesy flag. Milford Haven Chandlers didn't have one. Neither did Pwllelhi, finally at Holyhead, I asked in the chandlers and was told I was the third person to ask for one that day - but no he didn't sell them either.

I gave up.

I did manage to buy a Scottish flag in the Isle of Man which we dutifully flew as we entered Scottish waters.

They sell Welsh courtesy flags in the chandleries at Nidri and Leros!

C

Chrusty 1

Don't you need to fly Rick Stein's flag in Padstow?

I think it's called Rickstanstien these days, it don't half upset the locals though, so probably best if you make no reference to it whilst you are there.

C

Chrusty 1

I bet if you berthed in conway that must have fleeced you lol. It hasnt really changed just more people.

Well no, I sailed on a 57 foot schooner out of Conwy as crew back then, the dear old bloke that owned her taught me to sail really, ho-hum, happy days.:)

Cariadco

Visit site
Interesting the read the ''Brave'' comments on this particular thread.
Amazes me how bold people can be, when hiding behind their keyboard.....
I'm sure they'd keep their views to themselves, out and about, say in the Pubs in Porthmadog.....
Anyways, although my Boat's in Corfu, I proudly fly a Welsh Dragon, and the Greek customs guys love it..!!

Seajet

Visit site
In my experience a local courtesy ensign doesn't cost much, and reaps huge rewards like instant new friends, maybe help berthing and invites to drinkies etc - the clue is in the word ' courtesy ' and it's a great way to meet the people that matter, anywhere !

[163233]

Visit site
In my experience a local courtesy ensign doesn't cost much, and reaps huge rewards like instant new friends, maybe help berthing and invites to drinkies etc - the clue is in the word ' courtesy ' and it's a great way to meet the people that matter, anywhere !
+1 it's a bit of fun.

Strictly, it should be the ensign, not the national flag, which for the UK nations would be the red ensign and take the fun out of it a bit.
It would be nice to see it reciprocated in visitors to England, to not do so while expecting it yourself is somewhere between hypocrisy and insult.

scotty123

Visit site
Tend to agree and am sure that welsh and scottish visitors to England would be just as polite and fly the Flag of St George
They do, as part of the union flag.
Certainly done in Lymington, where you may find the HQ of the Royal Welsh Yacht Club (SouthernDivision).

Last edited:

bbg

Visit site
Interesting the read the ''Brave'' comments on this particular thread.
Amazes me how bold people can be, when hiding behind their keyboard.....
I'm sure they'd keep their views to themselves, out and about, say in the Pubs in Porthmadog.....
Anyways, although my Boat's in Corfu, I proudly fly a Welsh Dragon, and the Greek customs guys love it..!!
Those "brave" comments were made 7+ years ago. Why bring it up now?

Stemar

Visit site
My Admiral doesn't give a stuff :)

She's French, so we'd sometimes fly the Tricolour as a house flag on the port spreader. You'd be amazed how many people told us we'd forgotten to take out courtesy ensign down - some of them even reminded us it should be on the other spreader.

Bit of Fred Drift. What do you do when you go to Brittany? You need to fly a French courtesy flag, but the Breton Gwenn-ha-du really ought to be there as well. Fly it superior to the Tricolour and the state will haul you off to the Bastille, fly the Tri superior to the Gwenn-ha-du and the service in the local bars will be appalling.

raven

Visit site
As an English someone with a boat based in Porthmadog I can happily report (after thirty years of study) that the natives generally walk upright, are peaceable and enjoy a sense of humour.

I wish I had a pound for every time I've heard the "When I walked into the Post Office they started speaking Welsh...."nonsense. As Searush quite rightly points out, it's the first language in those parts and you can rest assured that they will have been speaking it before you walked into the shop, whilst you were in the shop and they'll probably keep speaking it for a few thousand more years after you've left the shop.

Flying the Welsh ensign would be a common courtesy and may stand you in good stead if you go aground on the bar or approaches (as many do) when negotiating the ever-changing channel :)