Panic! Do I need a courtesy flag for Wales?

TSB240

Visit site
They do, as part of the union flag.
Certainly done in Lymington, where you may find the HQ of the Royal Welsh Yacht Club (SouthernDivision).
The Royal Welsh Southern Squadron now has the Royal Cornwall Y C as its headquarters in Falmouth. Both clubs defaced ensigns are very similar except the Welsh has golden crown above the POW Feathers not a dragon to be seen except on the younger royal club further up the Menai Cut at Beaumaris the RAYC. We all give a warm welcome to any visitors whatever they fly or float in. I have to say I had a much warmer welcome in Brittany,Eire, NI, IOM and The land of the wee beasties when flying their own flags and the Celtic nations flag ABOVE the union flag.

Last edited:

Frogmogman

Visit site
Hit it on the nail well done. Its called bi lingualism. The ability to chop and change in a second. To none welsh speakers they speak english changing in a second to welsh when speaking to welsh. Well spotted and what a nice person you are lol:p

This is a good point. People who speak two or more languages will usually slip into whichever one is appropriate or more natural.

My two girls, born and brought up in France went to an amazing international lycée, which has eleven different national sections. Most of the kids, with dual mother tongues, also build a good command of one or two other languages. I was once listening to a group of them, who in the course of a conversation, when talking about school spoke in french. When they moved on to talking about some tv show on HBO they lapsed into english, then when they started talking about a party at a friend's house, the conversation was in Spanish (two of the kids in question being spanish). When I pointed it out to them, not one of them was conscious of having switched around; they had just used whatever language seemed appropriate for the subject in question.

I'd also add that I'm slightly taken aback by how threatened some folk seem to be about the Welsh and the Irish using their own tongues. Culturally it's great that they should preserve their traditional languages, and socially it's a useful tool for building a sense of national pride and identity.

Old Bumbulum

Visit site
Ridiculous question.
Courtesy flags are only reqired when visiting foreign countries.
It is an unarguable fact that Wales is not a country. It is a principality and a cosntituent part of the nation of the United Kingdom, whch is a country.

Ergo it is no more appropriate nor correct to 'need', let alone to actually use a "courtesy flag" for Wales than it is to 'need' one to visit Bournemouth, N Yorkshire, the Isle of bloody White or Becton Docks.

As eny fule no.

scotty123

Visit site
Ridiculous question.
Courtesy flags are only reqired when visiting foreign countries.
It is an unarguable fact that Wales is not a country. It is a principality and a cosntituent part of the nation of the United Kingdom, whch is a country.

Ergo it is no more appropriate nor correct to 'need', let alone to actually use a "courtesy flag" for Wales than it is to 'need' one to visit Bournemouth, N Yorkshire, the Isle of bloody White or Becton Docks.

As eny fule no.
You might try using that argument whilst visiting Wales, you would find few in agreement, that it isn't a Country.

Daydream believer

Visit site
A persons first language is not necesarily the national language for a variety of reasons, you shoukld not confuse the two completely different things. Yes the management may insist on the use of a particular language, though trying to enforce such a requirement may alienate both staff and customers and not be enforcable in employment law.

This does sound like a clash of personaities between chef and staff, with the management for his/her own reasons backing the chef. One suspects it will end in tears
I think the point to make is that the kitchen staff should be working as a team. A bit like an open office where I once worked. (The management encouraged interaction right across the office) the whole thing operates a lot more effectively if the staff knows what is going on around them. having part talking in a language which some members cannot understand rather defeats the object. For someone to expect anyone to do the reverse & expect everyone to learn welsh would be a bit pointless when one realises that English (in its various forms) is the second most widely spoken language in the world. Who on earth would want to waste time learning welsh anyway.

scotty123

Visit site
I think the point to make is that the kitchen staff should be working as a team. A bit like an open office where I once worked. (The management encouraged interaction right across the office) the whole thing operates a lot more effectively if the staff knows what is going on around them. having part talking in a language which some members cannot understand rather defeats the object. For someone to expect anyone to do the reverse & expect everyone to learn welsh would be a bit pointless when one realises that English (in its various forms) is the second most widely spoken language in the world. Who on earth would want to waste time learning welsh anyway.
It is a requirement for local authority/teaching jobs.
PS, they may want to visit Patagonia, they speak it there as well.

Blue Sunray

Visit site
I'd also add that I'm slightly taken aback by how threatened some folk seem to be about the Welsh and the Irish using their own tongues. Culturally it's great that they should preserve their traditional languages, and socially it's a useful tool for building a sense of national pride and identity.

You've answered your own point.

scotty123

Visit site
It is a ruling set up by some jobsworth to ensure local jobs only go to locals - it saves them wandering out into other parts of the British isles where no one would have a clue what they are talking about:unsure:
No, its a ruling that stops arrogant foreigners from across Offa's Dyke, flooding the country with an alien culture.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
It is a ruling set up by some jobsworth to ensure local jobs only go to locals - it saves them wandering out into other parts of the British isles where no one would have a clue what they are talking about:unsure:
Actually, it is so that people having to deal with people in authority can do so in their own language. It does seem anazing to some English people that some residents of UK prefer to speak in a language other than English.

Heckler

Visit site
In a certain mini-market in N Wales my wife was collecting goods for the boat.
As she entered, staff started talking in 'Welsh' rather than English.

My wife, being an American citizen rather than English, (but the locals took her for English) went along with this, and then, at the till, asked for the bill, and offered to pay, in Gaelic currency.
Fecked!

Ever seen a Welsh sign asking for money in Welsh?
I know this is an old one but that story, Ive heard a million times! If they were speakin Welsh, it was because their first language is Welsh, thats what they speak in Wales west of Corwen!

Old Bumbulum

Visit site
You might try using that argument whilst visiting Wales, you would find few in agreement, that it isn't a Country.
Then so is Cumbria, Wessex, Catavellaunia, Mercia, Man and ancient feggin Persia! (and some of those have better claim to being a seperate 'country' than Wales)
Special courtsey flag for Bournemouth anyone?
Wales is a part of the United kingdom under the union flag. End of.
As eny fule no.

How silly!

Last edited:

Frogmogman

Visit site
Then so is Cumbria, Wessex, Catavellaunia, Mercia, Man and ancient feggin Persia! (and some of those have better claim to being a seperate 'country' than Wales)

When my Dad was in Naval intelligence in Hong Kong in the early 60s, he had a large map of the world pre WWI in his office, with half of the world painted pink.

One day, a visiting officer from US Naval intelligence, after studying the map said to him "Hey Ben, you need to get a new map. Half of these countries don't exist anymore. Serbia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Montenegro......"

To which my Pop replied (with some prescience, as it turns out) "If you believe those countries don't exist anymore, you shouldn't be in intelligence".

scotty123

Visit site
Special courtsey flag for Bournemouth anyone?
Wales is a part of the United kingdom under the union flag. End of.
As eny fule no.

How silly!
Yes, your post certainly is.