No experience sail from Weymouth to Hull

PeterWright

Visit site
I'm sorry, but this proposal brings the individual dubbed by the UK press as Captain Calamity to mind, Please pay heed to the unanimous advice given to revise your plans so that you either undertake the passage with an experienced skipper on board to whom you give full authority for passage planning and decision making on whether to sail or seek refuge or have the vessel transported by road.

Even when you get the boat to N. Ferriby, you need to do some learning befoe venturing out on the tidl Humber. Join a local sailing club and learn!

Peter.

The above typed before I saw your revised plan. Well done, you've done the right ting.

You will find Norfolk not very helpful for a stopover, Suffolk is much better equipped with ports that make good havens for yachts.Harwich gives access to the rivers Stour and Orwell, with a large number of harbours and Lowestoft is about the Northernmost yacht friendly port south of the Humber on the East Coast. Although Wells is a viable port, it's well off your track, not the best to approach in any wind with East in it and can only be entered when the tide is well up.

Peter.

Last edited:

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
There's a bit of pearl-clutching going on here; the wisdom of a tyro doing this has been covered and the OP has had an attack of common sense, but the boat he's bought is perfectly capable of making the voyage subject to system checks and a shake-down. He's proposing a coastal voyage around the UK in summer, not the North West Passage, the most objectively hazardous bit aside from the dover strait is going to be the entry to South Ferriby as the Humber takes no prisoners.
The passage from about the Haisboro light to the mouth of the Humber will take him well offshore - I make it about 15-20 miles - and it's over 60 NM with little or no shelter, certainly no shelter that is accessible in all conditions. Further, there is a surprising amount of traffic in that region, much of it associated with oil and gas and wind farms.. While I agree it's hardly the NW Passage, it is a passage not to be undertaken without being very sure that the boat is well-prepared for a long passage (in my Moody 31 I'd plan on it taking 12 hours; the OP's boat should plan on more like 15, and that's not counting the start and end of the passage - probably more like 20+ hours) However, the statement that there will be an experienced skipper makes it feasible, provided the OP understands that it will be a long, tiring passage. I've done Whitby - Lowestoft in one hop, and that was challenging for three experienced sailors. Challenging for several reasons - first, it's very tiring, second, you need to be confident of your navigation as you'll very probably be out of sight of land - and in any case, the land has no features useful for navigation, third because some of the support vessels behave in unpredictable ways. The good thing is that you ARE well offshore, and so clear of most natural navigational hazards!

RJJ

Visit site
With the experienced guy you have lined up, you'll be fine. "being fine" constitutes making decisions, under their mentorship, such as
- don't do it, the boat's not ready
- don't do it, the weather's wrong
- don't do it, the crew's unsuitable
- we're stopping halfway, something's changed - let's park the boat and take the train.

etc. That person, who knows you and will see the boat, becomes 900 times more important than any of us. So it's your decision to appoint / trust that person, then it's their decision how to proceed.

You need to be flexible. If you have a gear failure and have to pull into (expensive) Brighton marina, you're looking at extra bills for mooring, repairs, travel time and the rest. If you can't stomach that, I would personally suggest doing some shakedown sailing in Weymouth to build confidence and find out what doesn't work.

It would be lovely to come back and let us know how you get on and what you've learned. We're all still on the learning curve too. Best of luck.

alandalus11

Visit site
Sense a bit of a wind up. You must joking. If you genuinely have not got any sailing experience then you should reconsider your plans.

You cannot pull over into a layby when you feel like a rest.
You are at the whim of the weather and the tide table.

Honestly,totally foolish and you might end up expecting someone to take risks just to come and get you out of the shit.

Totally agree. We have quite a few "owners"in our marina who, due to the pandemic and not being able to go away, have bought boats thinking that they can be used as floating caravans. No experience, not a clue and think you can just go from A to B in a straight line with no idea about tides, weather, obstructions etc. Get the relevant courses done and get to know how to handle your boat. It will save you becoming one of the statistics as well as keep your neighbours happy in any marina you decide to keep your boat in.

Caraway

Visit site
the most objectively hazardous bit aside from the dover strait is going to be the entry to South Ferriby as the Humber takes no prisoners.
But at least it's soft.
An old salt I sailed with on the Humber had no problem with just leaving his yacht in the mud and coming back when the tide was better, or just waiting it out. (no engine).
Slightly more recently I had the pleasure of grounding in a friend's 18ft yacht in the middle of the estuary, under the bridge, just before the top of the tide. Put the kettle on and waited a few minutes.

Watching boats coming into Brough Haven (other side of the estuary from S Ferriby) at the top of the tide you wonder if the skippers are actually sober.
When the tide goes out you can see the issue.

Tomahawk

Visit site
Dignity

First let me echo others saying welcome to the East Coast. We are a merry opld bunch of bunch but between us we have thousands of hours of sailing experience. And folks here will try to help thems what can be helped.

Reading your OP I have only two words to say.... Truck it.. not the sweary thing that rhymes with truck ... but put it on the back of a lorry.

Get her home safe and in the water and start learning how to sail on home turf. You probably think it would be too expensive.. but consider the cost of a protracted delay in somewhere like the Solent because of bad weather or breakdown.. Consider twelve hours of bashing your face into a NE wind as you try to slog your way along from Eastbourne to Dover without a break or let up. Add a bit of seasick and wonder if you will feature on "Saving Lives at Sea". I have worn the T shirt and it's not much fun.

I really recommend you do not make a delivery trip of that magnitude as your starting introduction to sailing.

EDIT..
Reading some of the above posts I am beginning to see a pattern .... seems to go along the lines of
DON'T DO IT LIKE THAT