ICC needed or not?

AllWinds

Visit site
Have you asked the charter company?
I have filled out forms which said what certification I have. I also have the original certificates that my ICC is based on and a Yachtmaster Theory certificate so I think either way I should be covered. I'm just very curious about the wording on the list of certificates accepted.

billskip

Visit site
I have filled out forms which said what certification I have. I also have the original certificates that my ICC is based on and a Yachtmaster Theory certificate so I think either way I should be covered. I'm just very curious about the wording on the list of certificates accepted.
Yes the wording does present a little confusion because I looked at photos of the Irish ICC card and it doesn't look to include both practical and theory....maybe it's an error in translation to English?

AllWinds

Visit site
Yes the wording does present a little confusion because I looked at photos of the Irish ICC card and it doesn't look to include both practical and theory....maybe it's an error in translation to English?
Do other ICC's show a seperate practical and theory section? I thought it was all just craft that you are covered for (Sail and/or Motor) and Area (Coastal and/or Inland).

I also thought that all signatories of Resolution 40 accepted the other states ICC's as part of signing the agreement. So extra requirements also sound a bit funny. Maybe as you said it's just a translation thing.

oldbloke

Visit site
If you have an ICC, it's an International Certificate of Competence so it will be recognised. That's the point of the process.
My learning to sail process didn't involve courses and certificates, so when the ICC became necessary for Mediterranean chartering I did mine with Sunsail, ìn Greece. It wasn't a nanosecond, but as soon as I had successfully parked and unparked the boat the examiner relaxed and we just had a nice sail round the bay.
It is a basic assessment of Competence, unlike the RYA exams which are part of an educational process

oldbloke

Visit site
Do other ICC's show a seperate practical and theory section? I thought it was all just craft that you are covered for (Sail and/or Motor) and Area (Coastal and/or Inland).

I also thought that all signatories of Resolution 40 accepted the other states ICC's as part of signing the agreement. So extra requirements also sound a bit funny. Maybe as you said it's just a translation thing.
They have to ask you questions. It doesn't have to be a separate, or written, exam.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
They have to ask you questions. It doesn't have to be a separate, or written, exam.
My experience of doing it on my own boat was that the instructor went through a series of "theory" questions before we left the marina. My ability to turn Capricious in limited space was immediately tested when she refused to swing the right way when leaving the berth! The instructor took me through various evolutions under sail, and while doing so tested my awareness of the actual direction of travel under the influence of wind and tide. He also tested my understanding of setting a course to steer.

The instructor had to assess my competence in a list of objectives that covered two sides of A4, mostly double columned - there must have been getting on for 100 things that he had to be able to certify my competence in. The ICC is straightforward enough for an experienced sailor, but it isn't a pushover, and a beginner would find it hard. My instructor regarded it as being equivalent to Day Skipper.