ICC needed or not?

Sandydog2

Visit site
A friend of ours was refused renewal of his Turkish transit log without proof of qualification, despite having kept his boat there for nearly 20 years. The boat was UK flagged. They asked for an ICC but settled for a Day Skipper certificate, which he forged. It's entirely possible that he had upset the official though, as his preferred method of shouting in English was not as effective as he liked to think.

Clancy Moped

Visit site
A friend of ours was refused renewal of his Turkish transit log without proof of qualification, despite having kept his boat there for nearly 20 years. The boat was UK flagged. They asked for an ICC but settled for a Day Skipper certificate, which he forged. It's entirely possible that he had upset the official though, as his preferred method of shouting in English was not as effective as he liked to think.
Was that in Netsel Marina??

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
Turkey isn't a signatory of resolution 40 so an ICC is the same as a note from your mum.

Tranona

Visit site
Turkey isn't a signatory of resolution 40 so an ICC is the same as a note from your mum.
Does not matter whether it is a signatory or not. Neither Greece nor Croatia are signatories but both have the ICC on their list of acceptable "Qualifications!. Doubt there is even a list in Turkey nor a requirement to have a qualification - more likely the official making up his own rules.

Clancy Moped

Visit site
Most people who didn't have them in Turkey were headed to Greek waters for the following season, not nessasery, but smooths the way, for the record we had no need for forged paper work as we had our ticket.

billskip

Visit site
That's my point ...the officials want a piece of paper...if they accept a note from mum ok.......
I got stopped here in Spain by police, would you believe because I had a seat on my lectric scooter? he hadn't seen one before, so decided it was illegal...wanted my driving licence and wanted to confiscate my scooter....
If they want an icc it's better you have one than try and convince them they don't know the law.
However I believe to sail in Spanish waters they are required (I believe the port police that advised me.

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
That's my point ...the officials want a piece of paper...if they accept a note from mum ok.......
I got stopped here in Spain by police, would you believe because I had a seat on my lectric scooter? he hadn't seen one before, so decided it was illegal...wanted my driving licence and wanted to confiscate my scooter....
If they want an icc it's better you have one than try and convince them they don't know the law.
However I believe to sail in Spanish waters they are required (I believe the port police that advised me.
Ive been sailing in Spain for 4 years and stopped by the guard civil one dark night (they were looking for drug runners) they didn't ask for any qualifications just Reg insurance and what I was doing sailing in the middle of the night.

By the way I do have an ICC. I got it for chartering in Croatia. Ive got a YM coastal too.

Biggles Wader

Visit site
As I see it, you can take a simple test and get an ICC. jobs a goodun.

Or you can not bother, always be worried about not having one plus get all argumentative with some official who really doesn't give a rats what you think.

Guess what I did? :cool:
You probably used your yachtmaster ticket to get the ICC on the nod.