ICC needed or not?

srm

Visit site
If a foreign flagged vessel remains in Portugal for more than six months it is liable to a national tax based on the size of the engine and light dues (as are local vessels). It's their country, I choose to keep my boat here, so I follow their rules. Pay the appropriate taxes at the due time and present the receipts when required to by the appropriate officers.

If I did not want to do this I am free to go elsewhere, as I am sure would be pointed out to me by the local officials should I challenge them.

However, I did make a low key challenge to local customs officials after B day. The local guys put it around that UK flagged/UK VAT paid boats had 18 months before they had to leave or pay Azores VAT (only 16%). I know a couple of boat owners who paid up. I emailed the head office in Lisbon then showed the local officials the reply. They asked if they could copy it, and I have not been asked to pay tax. I would suggest that if you are going to challenge local officials it pays to have documented evidence from higher up their chain of command.

Last edited:

billskip

Visit site
The same thing - you take a meaning that was not there - just your "belief" rather than what I actually meant!
That doesn't make you right, it just means you try to be authoritative with double entendre.
I'm sure you would make an excellent politician, however you continue on your merry way and I'll continue on mine....
There is always the ignore button you can use if you find you don't have the ability to accept my posts.

Zing

Visit site
Quite coincidentally I ran into the owner of a yacht school today, who said he can do the ticket in a nanosecond in a private test and I got tipped off with an ex RN instructor, who is happy to do a private 1:1 nanosecond test also. Brillsville! I can get the stupid ticket and keep the marine plod happy with minimal cost and effort on my part. Utterly stupid, though the whole thing is IMHO.

Another thing, how many Med countries issue ICC certs or are signed up to the agreement? None that matter a lot, except for Croatia. Not France, not Italy, not Greece, not Spain, not Turkey etc. it’s looking dummer all the more.

Last edited:

Tranona

Visit site
Quite coincidentally I ran into the owner of a yacht school today, who said he can do the ticket in a nanosecond in a private test and I got tipped off with an ex RN instructor, who is happy to do a private 1:1 nanosecond test also. Brillsville! I can get the stupid ticket and keep the marine plod happy with minimal cost and effort on my part. Utterly stupid, though the whole thing is IMHO.

Another thing, how many Med countries issue ICC certs or are signed up to the agreement? None that matter a lot, except for Croatia. Not France, not Italy, not Greece, not Spain, not Turkey etc. it’s looking dummer all the more.
Countries don't have to sign up to the Resolution to recognise it for meeting their local requirements of demonstration of skippers competence.

Have you not read the RYA explanation which will explain it all? Competent people should have no fear of getting a certificate that confirms it.

capnsensible

Visit site

Here you go shipmate. Apply for an ICC | boating abroad | RYA

There are two downloads for you from that site. One is the application form that explains eligibility, blah blah.

The second is the test form that the assessor is required to go through with you and includes a short theory session and a practical demonstration. The prudent mariner will ensure that he understands what is required and is properly prepared.

Testers will of course, being pros, will only sign off your form once the testing has been properly conducted. For an experienced acolyte of Neptune, such as yourself, it won't take you long to prepare your yacht prior to the tester arriving. Then mebbe allow two hours rather than 'nanoseconds' which I appreciate is somewhat of an exaggeration.

Should anyone offer to sign off a form without conducting the test then they are fraudulently commiting their signature. The current test format was developed to prevent that kind of thing that used to happen a few decades ago. After all, you wouldn't want to think of the UK as some kind of mickey mouse beaurocracy, would you?

wonkywinch

Visit site
I've spent a lifetime (from 6 months to 66 years old) travelling the world. We're currently in Madras enjoying excellent Indian hospitality.

I learned at an early age to respect "Johnny Foreigner's" bureaucracy. Any other behaviour just leaves you at the back of a long queue, or worse still in one of their police cells waiting for documentation to arrive.

Colonial attitudes went out of favour some time ago.

Never Grumble

Visit site
A lot of sailing schools will do it as 1 or 2 day (depending on experience and skill) own boat tuition. Or that's what I'm planning to do for some friends through the school I teach for.
I'll just have to look around then. I have a YM (offshore) (Motor) but just need something with the words sail in it. Can you point me in the direction of what you have to be able to do? My search wasn't very fruitful. We have own yacht and so I'm interested to know exactly what I am supposed to be able to prove.

wonkywinch

Visit site
I'll just have to look around then. I have a YM (offshore) (Motor) but just need something with the words sail in it. Can you point me in the direction of what you have to be able to do? My search wasn't very fruitful. We have own yacht and so I'm interested to know exactly what I am supposed to be able to prove.
The RYA publish the YM Syllabus & Logbook. It details all the things you must be able to do (and/or "have knowledge of") for the Day Skipper. That would be a reasonable point of reference since in the RYA's view DS=ICC.

RYA Yachtmaster Scheme Syllabus and Logbook

Never Grumble

Visit site
The RYA publish the YM Syllabus & Logbook. It details all the things you must be able to do (and/or "have knowledge of") for the Day Skipper. That would be a reasonable point of reference since in the RYA's view DS=ICC.

RYA Yachtmaster Scheme Syllabus and Logbook
I think my wife has one of those from when she did a course. I don't see the point in buying it.

capnsensible

Visit site
Hiya if you look at #70 there is a link to the RYA information webpage. Two links in that, the application form and test schedule reveal all.

AllWinds

Visit site
Has anyone here chartered in Croatia with an Irish ICC? I just noticed something strange on the list of accepted certification for Croatia:
1711387690481.png

I've not seen the wording "only with theoretical and practical training course" before. Does anyone know what this is all about? I've not had any problems anywhere else in the past, but this wording looks a little strange to me. I've tried googling this, but not come across this anywhere before. I am assuming they suggest that the certificate was issued based on some form of theoretical and practical training.... not that they expect you to do some extra certification there?

Cheers,

billskip

Visit site
Has anyone here chartered in Croatia with an Irish ICC? I just noticed something strange on the list of accepted certification for Croatia:
View attachment 174494

I've not seen the wording "only with theoretical and practical training course" before. Does anyone know what this is all about? I've not had any problems anywhere else in the past, but this wording looks a little strange to me. I've tried googling this, but not come across this anywhere before. I am assuming they suggest that the certificate was issued based on some form of theoretical and practical training.... not that they expect you to do some extra certification there?

Cheers,
I don't know, but I think it's possible due to the ICC being issued with only the practical or theory training.
Does the Irish ICC say on it the qualifications?

AllWinds

Visit site
I don't know, but I think it's possible due to the ICC being issued with only the practical or theory training.
Does the Irish ICC say on it the qualifications?
I'm not aware of any being purely issued on practical or theory only. I was under the impression that even the direct assessments included at least cursory theory questions from the examiner.

Mine says Motorised and Sailing Craft - Coastal Waters up to 24m and 80gT. Never had it come into question before and have chartered a number of times... I just keep on hearing strange stories about Croatia and then noticed that wording.

I will bring extra supporting Paperwork just in case, but I'm still curious what that might mean.