Dealing with unresponsive sellers - buying a boat

Refueler

Visit site
In 1979 I bought a Moody 30, one of the best boats I have ever had.

Old but good boats : (note the OLD versions before take-overs / mergers etc)

Moody 30 and 30+ range
Westerly 30
Colvic Countess's

and this may surprise some - but try show me a boat that can take the punishment better in similar size :

MacWester Seaforth.

When you look at boats produced today - most are leaning well into the accommodation rather than seakeeping ... gone are the heavy layups, ample reserve bouyancy 'ends' etc.
Its not only boats .. ships have done similar ... scantlings are now used exact to the decimal mm etc.

Ceirwan

Visit site
Timewaster is a very pejorative term.

It's frequently used by a vendor to detract attention from the fact that lots of people have gone to the trouble of viewing whatever item may be for sale and immediately dismissed whatever it is as a craftily misdescribed overpriced pile of junk.

Yes & I meant it as such, like I said, I'm talking about cheap boats.
Usually priced that way because they need work, are old, need refreshing etc.
Clearly if a boat is falsely advertised then its a different matter.

Its somewhat similar to selling an old car, about ten years ago I sold an old Audi A3 for £500. It was a 13 year old car, but it was high mileage & had a few issues, all of which were detailed in the advert, realistically it was worth double even with the issues it had, I just wanted a quick sale. Despite that I still had people messaging me asking questions that were already answered in the advert, people saying they would come to see it and not showing up etc, or acting surprised when the paintwork wasn't show room standard.

After a while you get a feel for the genuine buyers, I personally would (and have done) reply to anyone who contacts me about a boat I'm selling, I'm just outlining how frustrating the process could be, many want you to guarantee that the 40 year old engine will be reliable for another 10 years, or to let it stay on your mooring for a year until they 'find somewhere', I had one guy ask me if my Sadler 25 was suitable for a round the world trip. And quite a few people arrange a time to turn up and then go radio silent.

But as I say - that is a consequence of being in the low price range bracket ... people start to think ... what about having a boat etc.

I think we're in agreement here.
You get more timewasters because its at a price point affordable to many, in some cases almost throw away money, so you have to deal with a lot of people who can't even do basic research on google.

At the higher price brackets, you still get the odd timewaster, but its a lower ratio for sure.

And of course at the other end of the spectrum, you get the people selling absolute heaps but wanting mega money for them.

wonkywinch

Visit site
Timewaster is a very pejorative term.

It's frequently used by a vendor to detract attention from the fact that lots of people have gone to the trouble of viewing whatever item may be for sale and immediately dismissed whatever it is as a craftily misdescribed overpriced pile of junk.
It gets my goat when I see countless car ads with "no timewasters". Add a couple of "first to see will buy" or "if it doesn't sell at this price, I'll keep it" and it's already summed up the vendor enough for me not to bother phoning.

Ceirwan

Visit site
It gets my goat when I see countless car ads with "no timewasters". Add a couple of "first to see will buy" or "if it doesn't sell at this price, I'll keep it" and it's already summed up the vendor enough for me not to bother phoning.

Those are usually the adverts written entirely in capital letters. Or as a block of text with no punctuation or line breaks.

In my case when I talk about timewasters its mean after the fact, not before.
I agree its stupid to write it on an advert. like putting 'No scammers'. as if the would be scammer will take note and amend their behaviour!

Hot Property

Visit site
Having sold a load of cars, motorcycles, etc, including a couple of yachts under 5K. I have to say you get the most time wasters looking for yachts.
I think this is due to most people not having a ‘need’ for a yacht but wanting a hobby or lifestyle. Retired people (no offence) are the worst, they even come to view, tell you their life story and then complain about everything that’s not perfect trying to get money off. With out a doubt the most time wasters are found on Facebook marketplace, even EBay is better than FB these days..
I’m not saying the OP is a time waster but it’s really easy for genuine people to get drowned out by people asking, ‘how fast does it go?’.

I've just bought a boat on marketplace.

I messaged the seller twice to no avail, then "stalked him" via other similar names publicly available. Found out where he worked. Rang and asked if he was available, I called back later and spoke to him.

He works in a marina and was acting as an informal broker.

Arranged a date to visit (on the IOW).

Took hovercraft to the island.

Met up, sea trial, offer made to owner, sale agreed.

I then dealt with the owner directly for deposit etc.

Collected the following week.

What a palava!!

BUT I have the only one of this boat on sale in the UK, in great condition and with an engine 5 years younger than I expected.

So worth persisting.

It certainly put off anyone who may have been interested....